Archived Cross training continues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, being fourth quarter, the store is giving away hours like they are going out of style. So after I finished my GS shift today, I asked/begged to work in hard lines for the rest of the day. Sure, it was a 13 1/2 hour day, and I hurt like anything, but who the hell cares. Apparently I'm just a couple of computer quizzes away from being approved to be released into the computer for hard lines shifts. What exactly do the quizzes cover? I'm not overly concerned, just curious what they cover. And do you think it is something I will be able to convince the SrTL to let me do if we get a slow spot when I'm cashiering? About how long do they take?

It sounds like the Salesfloor training one. Grab a Salesfloor training book, study it, & you will get it real quick. Keep on asking questions. You are on the fast track.

Last edited:
Ha! I wondered if there was a manual! I will grab one today at work.

What you'll need to do as far as training may depend on your leadership. When I was trained in Hardlines, my learning plan included P-Fresh training and Haz-Mat because our relatively new ETL-Hardlines wants all Hardlines TMs to be familiar with them. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if I had to do any quizzes besides the Haz-Mat and Food Safety.

But definitely grab the training guide. The learning plan doesn't tell you how to actually do things, as it's made with the expectation that you'll be with a trainer who will cover everything. And check out our guide too.

Hurting means you're doing something right!

So...five months into Target, I'm a trainer myself (for cashiering), been trained as cashier (obviously), guest services and plowing through hard lines, and I still have yet to see one of these actual learning plans.

So...five months into Target, I'm a trainer myself (for cashiering), been trained as cashier (obviously), guest services and plowing through hard lines, and I still have yet to see one of these actual learning plans.

Sounds like your HR needs to get their act together. As a cashier trainer, you should be going through learning plans for new cashiers, as well as having signed one yourself when you finished your own training.

Nope...none of that. I would assume that my learning plan is lost in space with my 90 day review. :huh:

You really should have seen what they are by now... I know that I wasn't great about going thru them with my trainees personally, but, I did make them initial/sign it!

Now that I think about it I'm not really sure that my trainer really told me what a learning plan was, but, then again I do remember signing it. :)

So after Friday's shenanigans....I got called into work tonight. The ETL-HR told me I'd be working my favorite place. I immediately lit up and said GS. She meant hard lines. Okay, I was fine with that. But she said that I would do HL for an hour and then head over to GS because the evening GS had called out.

So after an hour, I headed over to GS, when the ETL-HR stopped me, told me that one of the girls working HL who had just started on Thursday (I trained her to cashier and worked HL with her on Friday night) liked working and training with me so much, that I was being sent back over to lead and direct the HL team (4 others) for the night. I nearly fell over. Most of the team has been with the store way longer than I have. So I told them straight up that I was relying on their knowledge and expertise to make things happen. And it did. But what a strange position to be in.

I really need to push to get through the next steps to get released on the computer scheduling for HL. If I can oversee the team for the evening without anyone spontaneously combusting, then I think I'm good to go to be put on the schedule.

That's awesome! I've been at Target for about 4 months now too and I got tired of being a cashier do I asked to be moved so my ETL said okay and now I'm getting hours at Service Desk and Electronics! I'm so happy because I love working in those two areas being a cashier for so long can get boring.

So after Friday's shenanigans....I got called into work tonight. The ETL-HR told me I'd be working my favorite place. I immediately lit up and said GS. She meant hard lines. Okay, I was fine with that. But she said that I would do HL for an hour and then head over to GS because the evening GS had called out.

So after an hour, I headed over to GS, when the ETL-HR stopped me, told me that one of the girls working HL who had just started on Thursday (I trained her to cashier and worked HL with her on Friday night) liked working and training with me so much, that I was being sent back over to lead and direct the HL team (4 others) for the night. I nearly fell over. Most of the team has been with the store way longer than I have. So I told them straight up that I was relying on their knowledge and expertise to make things happen. And it did. But what a strange position to be in.

I really need to push to get through the next steps to get released on the computer scheduling for HL. If I can oversee the team for the evening without anyone spontaneously combusting, then I think I'm good to go to be put on the schedule.

Sounds like your ETL-HR thinks highly of you.

That's awesome! I've been at Target for about 4 months now too and I got tired of being a cashier do I asked to be moved so my ETL said okay and now I'm getting hours at Service Desk and Electronics! I'm so happy because I love working in those two areas being a cashier for so long can get boring.

Go for it! I will take you folks any day of the week!

I've recently started getting quizzed for other things, I mean many of the quizzes tend to overlap work centers like the "busted stuff" quiz overlaps in Market, Food Ave, Service Desk, Cart Attendant and to some extent Cashiering. It took me a day to get most of the stuff out of the way, not to mention I had to get a training plan for using the cart pusher when I've been using it for almost a year. I only had to get it because of new management almost ****ting a farm over lawsuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back