Cross-training

Hi, all!
I'm Outbound and consistently exceed productivity. Learned 2 of the PIT so far and 3 different roles in OB. I like to think that although I'm replaceable, I do add value to my team.
That being said,
I was voluntold to cross-train in Warehouse. Learned CF, and just learned another new PIT/role in CA. Looks like I'll be spending a few weeks there to ramp up before returning to Outbound.
What exactly does this mean? Am I seen as "excess weight" in Outbound, so I was simply banished to a different department? Or does this mean they want to provide me with more diverse skills because they know I'm reliable and won't slack off if sent to another department?
I constantly worry about little things, so I believe my mind is reading too much into this.
Additional info: It was me and one other sent to Warehouse. He asked to cross-train, I did not. But I am enthusiastic about learning new skills.

You’re reading too much into it. Each dept is supposed to have a certain number of people on each key that can be flexed out if need be. Usually there are enough volunteers. If there aren’t enough, my building goes in reverse seniority order but skipping anyone who isn’t fully ramped, it’s just a hazard of being new and competent.

At my DC anyone cross trained on multiple machines in either MBP or WHS flex back and forth depending on demand. MBP flex's into WHS more often than WHS flex's into MBP since WHS needs a little additional training when it comes to learning about SSP's and making sure any pulls are taken flagged or taken to the proper area. Same goes for OB. If WHS doesn't have enough people to keep depal throwing and loaders loading they get moved to WHS to get cartons moving.

Last edited:
Cross train, leave ob and never go back.
They threw me in depal for the first time tonight. Really thankful for my decision to chug an energy drink at first break 😂 OB has my heart tbh, bunch of hardworking, sweaty hooligans.

To each their own I suppose,. Personally, I shutter just a bit when I walk by and see NCN filled up with Threshold, Basketball goals, TV's, Oversized Rugs, or Grills, I'm Just glad I'm not the one sorting them anymore.

They threw me in depal for the first time tonight. Really thankful for my decision to chug an energy drink at first break 😂 OB has my heart tbh, bunch of hardworking, sweaty hooligans.

Get out of outbound asap.
All you will do is destroy your body.
I liked it to but even if your young it will take its toll

Back