Archived Cross Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, how do I go about getting cross trained? I'm currently a cashier. I started in November 2010 and took a break from January to May 2011 for a semester of school out-of-state. When I came back, I was at the service desk for a while on my first day. I liked it and would like to learn more about it. Plus, the extra hours wouldn't hurt.

Thank you in advance.

Just stop by the HR office and let them know you're interested.
You might need to keep bugging them depending on how things are going and how well they know their job.

Now would be a good time as stores are gearing up for Q4.
The front end is a good place to be versatile, be it at service desk, ringing up photo orders, pulling in carts, covering the operator's breaks (if your store doesn't have a fitting room operator), peer-training newbies, etc.

Started cross training at the service desk today during my shift. There's a lot more that goes on there then I realized, but it's nice to learn something different. I already got some positive feedback from my TL.

Just wondering, how do I go about getting cross trained? I'm currently a cashier. I started in November 2010 and took a break from January to May 2011 for a semester of school out-of-state. When I came back, I was at the service desk for a while on my first day. I liked it and would like to learn more about it. Plus, the extra hours wouldn't hurt.

Thank you in advance.

In June, my store's HR posted a signup sheet for cross-training because a lot of TMs (especially cashiers) were complaining that they didn't get enough hours. I signed up for hardlines as soon as the sheet was posted, yet I'm still waiting for my sales floor training...

The other night, I helped sort reshop at Guest Service and one of the service desk TMs told me there was not really much to service desk training. She said all you had to know was how to do returns/exchanges/registries/other guest transactions, sort reshop, and process defectives. I'm sure you guys know much more about it than me, but that's just what I was told.

Our front end LOD (who's been with our store for almost two years now) said that he wanted to have everyone cross trained. I kept asking, aasking, and asking him and our 2 HRs that we've had. I always got an answer about not having enough hours to cross train since cross training takes hours away from the work schedule.

I was lucky I had a GSTL and a GSA who would let me work at GS in the mornings when everything is quieter so I got a chance to learn a lot of things. Recently, I asked again about cross training and got the same answer about not having enough hours. So, I solved that problem by taking a GS shift on our swap sheet.....the LOD had signed for the me to take the shift. Lo and Behold, the front end LOD came to me and said that I needed to get some training time. I got one shift of training (although I already was familiar with a lot of things) and have been able to be scheduled as both GS and as a cashier.

I've also picked up shifts in areas (sales floor and fitting room/operator) that I haven't done since moving to be a cashier. While some of the LODs haven't been so sure about signing the swap sheet, I've been able to find someone to sign the sheet.

So, if you keep getting excuses about training (if you have an HR that won't let you train) then sign up for a shift and have an LOD that knows you sign off on it.....because once you're signed up they'll either make sure you know what you are doing, or they'll get in trouble if you're working in an area you don't know and something happens.

The other night, I helped sort reshop at Guest Service and one of the service desk TMs told me there was not really much to service desk training. She said all you had to know was how to do returns/exchanges/registries/other guest transactions, sort reshop, and process defectives. I'm sure you guys know much more about it than me, but that's just what I was told.

A little more than that but I left a little segment under the guides.

Our front end LOD (who's been with our store for almost two years now) said that he wanted to have everyone cross trained. I kept asking, aasking, and asking him and our 2 HRs that we've had. I always got an answer about not having enough hours to cross train since cross training takes hours away from the work schedule.

I was lucky I had a GSTL and a GSA who would let me work at GS in the mornings when everything is quieter so I got a chance to learn a lot of things. Recently, I asked again about cross training and got the same answer about not having enough hours. So, I solved that problem by taking a GS shift on our swap sheet.....the LOD had signed for the me to take the shift. Lo and Behold, the front end LOD came to me and said that I needed to get some training time. I got one shift of training (although I already was familiar with a lot of things) and have been able to be scheduled as both GS and as a cashier.

I've also picked up shifts in areas (sales floor and fitting room/operator) that I haven't done since moving to be a cashier. While some of the LODs haven't been so sure about signing the swap sheet, I've been able to find someone to sign the sheet.

So, if you keep getting excuses about training (if you have an HR that won't let you train) then sign up for a shift and have an LOD that knows you sign off on it.....because once you're signed up they'll either make sure you know what you are doing, or they'll get in trouble if you're working in an area you don't know and something happens.

The LOD shouldn't be signing your swap shift request. We make sure to let everyone in our store know that you should not volunteer for a shift if you are not trained in the area. Then again, cross training appears to be more in the store culture at my store than yours.

I wish that my store was more like yours regarding the cross training.

FYI, becoming cross trained doesn't get a person more pay, just the hope at more hours at your same current pay unless you happen to cross train in a position that gets a higher pay rate and if you work more than 50% of your hours there.

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back