Archived ctls, be warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does even owning a hardlines/softlines block mean anything to a Salesfloor Team Lead anymore? With Plano now taking over salesplanners, and the In-Stocks process still being a cluster-fuck depending on what pilot you're part of, it's hard to pin down exactly what being a Salesfloor Team Lead means now a days.

With Consumables, it's straight forward. You're in charge of making sure Food Safety a thing in your store. Manage your PA's. Ensure Consumables routines are in place, follow up on cleaning, keep your DSD vendors in line, etc etc etc.

With Electronics, it's kind of the same thing. You have an Electronics team, maintain the AAR culture, follow up with your console vendors and so on.

But multiple "Hardlines" team leads? Giving each Team Lead "blocks"...? What does it mean to even "own" HBA or Home Decor or Bath? In-Stocks owns the research process, Price Change owns the CLR process, zone just gets done as it needs to get done by team members. I guess own D-Code? Though that should be part of the Backroom Team Lead core roles...making sure the backroom isn't sitting on product.

Same goes with Softlines. Why "own" areas when the process or task part of the job is being taken upon the speciality teams?

Target right now is in a kind of "flux" state, where they don't really know what to do with their Salesfloor Leads. Before, they were basically Department Managers...but now we're trimmed down to the point where they own too many departments to actually maintain. Their core rolls need to be redefined and this "owning a block" culture needs to go away.

I totally get what you're saying. I guess Sales floor TLs need to own clearance, PTM, and d-code (backroom doesn't really have time for it, at least in my c-volume p-fresh store). POG does a lot now (I'm a pog/pricing TL) and there isn't a lot that having multiple hardlines TL will accomplish anymore.
I think there should still be at minimum 2 sales floor TLs, Hardlines/Market, and Softlines. Softlines is a tough area to keep brand (and unless you have some rockstar brand TMs, you won't keep it brand without a TL to ensure standards are met). Stretching 1 SFTL across the entire floor doesn't ensure accountability and brand is upheld (especially if you're in a store where the majority of your TLs are SrTLs who work 2-3 LOD shifts a week).
(in reference to my last post in this thread, at my store A=Pets/Chem/Cosmetics/HBA, B=Stationery/Small Appliances, C/D=Decorative Home, Domestics, Home Improvement, E=Toys/Sporting Goods/Auto, F=Electronics/Entertainment/Mini and Seasonal, G=Grocery/Paper)
We're at 3 ETLs (excluding RX), 3 SrTLs, 4 regular TLs (including AP), 1 SFT

At my store never. I'm not going to sacrifice the hours dedicated to ensure my area is food safe with fixing up shit little girls mess up and open and damage every day.

I have a lot to in stake with the arguments I'm faced on having to make.. I'm making them tomorrow.

BTW, I can zone every single aisle and backwall perfectly, this is what I hold my team to, if I can do it, so can you, if you want to be in market..

Zoning a block, I've never had to do chem/cos/healthcare my entire 5 year career.. Lots of little items in the stay basket. Namely makeup, something the different numbers and crap mean nothing to me.. It's gonna suck

I wish this was the case at my store...if we actually stay on top of the zone it can be zoned back up in like 2-3 hours but when it doesnt get zoned or is lazily zoned it takes FOREVER when I have to close and zone. Just last night I found an entire cart of Reshop and another half of a cart I worked out along the way. That is rediculous. Not to mention I usually find tons of empty cardboard boxes and trash all over the place most times I close.

I have commented several times that when I close back to back nights I dont think it is just a coincidence that when I zone the second night I am done in almost half the time it took the night before...Coincidence? I think not!!!
Or you don't walk in to the autofill and every caf all day sitting in dairy and frozen, plus all the deli and all the dry cafs (or maybe the 1pm got done but the giant noon got passed by), plus reshop that wasn't done all day and the floor half empty cause the old guy decided to just "flex" to fill the empty spaces instead of pulling from the full cases out back. And the young kid has left cardboard from two trucks in a row in the ambient room. So you have to work around that. Plus do a random pog. Plus help pull your own cafs plus any that don't need a lift to reach, cause they are behind on those. And cover electronics, backup and deal with vendors cause the ctl didn't want to.

Those of you that have only 1-2 SF TL, don't you prefer that rather than having like 4-5??

I look at it as you just having more TMs and I feel it's easier to manage the team w/o bumping heads with other leaders. It's hard to get 3-5 TLs to be on the same page and to have similar expectations. Me personally I love to be the only leader for my department.

Yea there will be nights where the TL is not there to open or close with the team but as long as you have great routines, high expectations, and great follow up, the team will be fine without you. The mark of a good leader is when your team performs just as good when you are not there.

I think the Viper process can definitely help out if Target is going to continue cutting leadership positions. More Indians less Chiefs!

Those of you that have only 1-2 SF TL, don't you prefer that rather than having like 4-5??

I look at it as you just having more TMs and I feel it's easier to manage the team w/o bumping heads with other leaders. It's hard to get 3-5 TLs to be on the same page and to have similar expectations. Me personally I love to be the only leader for my department.

Yea there will be nights where the TL is not there to open or close with the team but as long as you have great routines, high expectations, and great follow up, the team will be fine without you. The mark of a good leader is when your team performs just as good when you are not there.

I think the Viper process can definitely help out if Target is going to continue cutting leadership positions. More Indians less Chiefs!

I am probably not the only one that realizes Target is going the Trail of Tears route and having less of both am i?

Wow.. I'm a low volume store and we have:

1 HLTL
1 HLTL-Sr.
1 CTL-Sr.
2 SLTL
2 GSTL
1 FATL-Sr.
1 SBTL
1 LOGTL
1 Pricing TL
1 POGTL

1 ETL-AP
1 ETL-LOG
1 ETL-HR
1 ETL-GE
1 ETL-RX

There ARENT more team members tho! Any day we have the hl tl, hl brand lead, and electronics doesn't come in til 10 or 11am. In sl we have the sl tl and sl brand lead, and MAYBE a noon person for reshop on truck days. The brand lead has to work the zracks every truck day. In grocery we do have a grocery tl (to answer the person question above). We don't count this person because she doesn't respond to backups or get calls anywhere but grocery.

We have to set our own salesplans and adjacencies. The plano team doesn't touch them.

We close on Saturday nights with 2 in hl til 9pm, 1 until 11pm, 2 in sl til 9pm and 1 til 11pm, the operator, 1 in electronics, and 1 in grocery. This is a SUPERT. We never zone! We just put reshop away.

Last edited:
God just looking at everybody else's stores makes me wonder why my store is so lucky compared to y'alls.

My store has

ETL-HR: New for about three months. Not friendly to TMs
ETL-RX: Been at the store longer than I have. Pretty sure he's a lifer.

ETL-AP: she helped me get brand and we're friends because we watch all the same shows she is awesome

ETL-LOG: Only does 4am shifts. New for about 3 months. We had ETL-LOG and ETL-Receiving and they cut ETL-Receiving. I still think his title should be ETL-4AM.
Backroom/Instocks TL: Started three months ago. We didnt have a backroom TL for AGES.
Presentation/Pricing TL: Been at the store a while but under a year. Been with Target roughly 17 years. A lifer. She's amazing.
2 Flow TLs that have had the position for ages. I think one is SrTL

ETL-GE: recently switched positions with ETL-SF.
2 GSAs: both awesome
2 GSTLs: One Sr, one is not
Starbucks TL
Target Cafe TL

ETL-SF: recently switched positions with ETL-GE
4 Sales Floor TLs: one owns domestics furniture seasonal. One owns toys sport electronics infant hardlines and is Sr. One owns pets paper chemicals health cosmetics. One is softlines.
1 CTL: OUR CONSUMABLES TL IS AWESOME.

We're a regular A-volume pFresh with pharmacy and photo.

How does my store have more TLs than some people's Supers???

@AARCaptain we have the same headcount with a few roles different and one less SrTL, but we aren't a low volume. I'm in a A/B threshold PFresh.

God just looking at everybody else's stores makes me wonder why my store is so lucky compared to y'alls.

My store has

ETL-AP: she helped me get brand and we're friends because we watch all the same shows she is awesome

ETL-LOG: Only does 4am shifts. New for about 3 months. We had ETL-LOG and ETL-Receiving and they cut ETL-Receiving. I still think his title should be ETL-4AM.
Backroom/Instocks TL: Started three months ago. We didnt have a backroom TL for AGES.
Presentation/Pricing TL: Been at the store a while but under a year. Been with Target roughly 17 years. A lifer. She's amazing.

Starbucks TL
Target Cafe TL

4 Sales Floor TLs: one owns domestics furniture seasonal. One owns toys sport electronics infant hardlines and is Sr. One owns pets paper chemicals health cosmetics. One is softlines.

I wish.

1 SL TL
1 CTL
1 BRTL
1 Presentation TL
1 GSTL
1 SBTL
1 APTL
4 Sr. TL's
ETL-RX
ETL-LOG
ETL-GE/SF
ETL-HR

I'm fairly sure that's it for our store, 4 ETL's, 4 Sr. TL's, 7 regular TL's. Not sure what areas the Sr's focus on though, but more often than not they seem to have LOD shifts. LOG rarely has LOD shifts, same for HR, SF/GE gets several, as do all the Sr's.

My store has

Starbucks TL
Target Cafe TL

My super is one of very few ultra low volume supers. The lowest volume that exists. We on a normal day have 3 cashiers at noon. I only see 5 cashiers at the same time on Saturdays, only if they all show up. Rarely ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back