Archived Dangling a promotion as motivation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of a side note, but is there a way to view available leadership positions? I'm afraid that this is also the case for me. HR mentioned the potential for a promotion but never stated what the position was. I really don't think there are any open positions at my store right now. Unless someone intends to quit that I haven't heard about yet.

I know this thread is cOLD, but I had a somewhat similar situation. I transferred stores a while back, and an ETL at my old store was going to have me set up an interview with a DTL, and have me start training for a TL spot while on the bench. I ended up having to transfer, but my recommendation went with me. At this new store, I've told this story no less than 4 times to different ETLs/the STL, and they've all given me the run around saying "we'll wait until after the holidays" and such. Three of them have since left the store, saying "I'm obviously not able to really help with this, but I'll pass the message along to TL x," again several times

I approach TL x and they always give me this dumbfounded look, as clearly this is the first time they've heard of me even working at their store, much less having this ever diminishing recommendation follow me.
Unless your DTL really liked you and you in the same area still under your DTL it's pretty much start from scratch when you transfer.

Skills and stories still transfer over for your benefit but building a relationship with the store hierarchy which matters more than it should starts from scratch again. Often meaning proving to them you're as good as you say.
Kind of a side note, but is there a way to view available leadership positions? I'm afraid that this is also the case for me. HR mentioned the potential for a promotion but never stated what the position was. I really don't think there are any open positions at my store right now. Unless someone intends to quit that I haven't heard about yet.
My store most TL positions are filled without ever known outside of word of mouth, STL decides what is what, what the STL wants is the final say.

I've been in pretty much this exact position. Spent about a year I believe as "Backroom Captain" doing a better job than any TL had done back there, over 6 months of green scores across the board, something the store had never had before and still got passed over. Had my ETL-Log say I was getting my TL interview in 3 weeks, 3 weeks came and went and nothing. Almost exactly on the 3 week mark someone else in the store interviewed with the DTL instead of me, who is still sitting on the bench and not a team leader 1 1/2 years later, and I no longer work for Target. Definitely happens, usually a carrot on a stick thing from what I've seen.

Im having a similar situation, I expressed the interest when I was hired and recently TL talk was bought up. It feels too good to be true. Im getting the cross training in other work centers still have to do deli, starbucks, and food ave but im wondering if it was just to motivate me. Im always trying to figure out how to be a leader when Im in a store with people who have been there waaaay longer than me.

@Deli Ninja, please this out.
Did you a word? ;D

@Nokiddiegloves feel free to shoot any Deli questions my way. I've "only" been in Deli for two years, but I have a great TL who lets me jump in a learn new things on a fairly regular basis as well as take on a wide variety of tasks. I could have had the Deli Assistant position at one point, but turned it down for a variety of reasons. Deli is a great workcenter to cross-train in but it can also be very difficult, especially when leadership is anything but food-savvy. Furthermore, Deli TMs get $1 over base pay, so it's not a bad place to end up while waiting for a leadership position to open up.

I may need to see about making a Deli guide thread... We'll see if I feel up to it on Friday.

Did you a word? ;D

@Nokiddiegloves feel free to shoot any Deli questions my way. I've "only" been in Deli for two years, but I have a great TL who lets me jump in a learn new things on a fairly regular basis as well as take on a wide variety of tasks. I could have had the Deli Assistant position at one point, but turned it down for a variety of reasons. Deli is a great workcenter to cross-train in but it can also be very difficult, especially when leadership is anything but food-savvy. Furthermore, Deli TMs get $1 over base pay, so it's not a bad place to end up while waiting for a leadership position to open up.

I may need to see about making a Deli guide thread... We'll see if I feel up to it on Friday.

I worked in the deli today. It was a lot of hard work and lot to remember. Hopefully not too many shifts after today lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back