Archived Day One - Post Orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardlinesGuy

Deputy Sheriff - Former AP Team Leader
Hi there! I'm a new TM working Hardlines, and today was my orientation. Things went fairly smooth, and so far I'm enjoying what I've seen. However, the gentleman running the orientation ((E)TL-HR? I think? Still learning to speak Target :p Correct me if I'm wrong,) was VERY vague about the process of how to go about showing up and starting work. A few general questions I'd like to ask and get clarified before my first real training day next week so I don't make a fool out of myself and annoy my fellow TM's...

1 - After clocking in, what exactly should I be doing? I assume I'd be either asking the person at the desk near the time clock (TSC I think?) or maybe asking them where my ETL or LOD is, and then finding them? I know that on my first training day I'll end up at the front lanes for register training, but who should I talk to first, and generally speaking, what exactly should I do right after I clock in?

2 - How do I get my walkie? Do I have to ask the person at the desk near the time clock to sign one out? If that's the case, would I be out of line for reporting in to the ETL or LOD via the walkie after I clock in, and asking them where to go/what to do?

3 - I was told that I'd get my name tag with my real name about 10 days after orientation, and I saw all of the "New Team Member" tags on the board behind the desk. Should I just wait to be given one, or do I have to ask for one?

4 - How do I use eHR, set up an account, etc?

5 - Is there anything important or noteworthy anyone would suggest or recommend to make day one go a little smoother? Any tips or important things to know?

All in all, I just would like a little advice on what exactly I should be doing when I first get in, and if there's anything I absolutely need to know that I might not've been told. Sorry if these questions have been answered on other threads. I did a bit of reading but didn't see anything too specific. Additionally, please pardon me for sounding like a lost child, lol. I've got some nasty anxiety issues and I just really want to make my first few days as embarrassment-free as I possibly can.

Thank You! :)

Last edited:
Hi there! I'm a new TM working Hardlines, and today was my orientation. Things went fairly smooth, and so far I'm enjoying what I've seen. However, the gentleman running the orientation ((E)TL-HR? I think? Still learning to speak Target :p Correct me if I'm wrong,) was VERY vague about the process of how to go about showing up and starting work. A few general questions I'd like to ask and get clarified before my first real training day next week so I don't make a fool out of myself and annoy my fellow TM's...

1 - After clocking in, what exactly should I be doing? I assume I'd be either asking the person at the desk near the time clock (TSC I think?) or maybe asking them where my ETL or LOD is, and then finding them? I know that on my first training day I'll end up at the front lanes for register training, but who should I talk to first, and generally speaking, what exactly should I do right after I clock in?

2 - How do I get my walkie? Do I have to ask the person at the desk near the time clock to sign one out? If that's the case, would I be out of line for reporting in to the ETL or LOD via the walkie after I clock in, and asking them where to go/what to do?

3 - I was told that I'd get my name tag with my real name about 10 days after orientation, and I saw all of the "New Team Member" tags on the board behind the desk. Should I just wait to be given one, or do I have to ask for one?

4 - How do I use eHR, set up an account, etc?

5 - Is there anything important or noteworthy anyone would suggest or recommend to make day one go a little smoother? Any tips or important things to know?

All in all, I just would like a little advice on what exactly I should be doing when I first get in, and if there's anything I absolutely need to know that I might not've been told. Sorry if these questions have been answered on other threads. I did a bit of reading but didn't see anything too specific. Additionally, please pardon me for sounding like a lost child, lol. I've got some nasty anxiety issues and I just really want to make my first few days as embarrassment-free as I possibly can.

Thank You! :)

1.) Use your walkie and say "LOD, This is JerseyGuy3, what would you like me to do today?"

2.) Walkies should be kept in the TSC, in a cabinet near the computers.

3.) You should wait for a name tag. They take time to come.

4.) Get to a computer, click on eHR and follow the instructions on the screen. I think you'll get trained for this.

1) After clocking in, get equipped: Grab a walkie and a myDevice. Turn on the walkie and announce yourself "LOD, this is JerseyGuy3 and I'm here to start my shift"

2) Erm.. Usually stores have an equipment room or cabinet. Ours is behind the person at the desk. I've also been in stores where it was back behind the operator (in the fitting room). After you have your walkie, do #1.

3) You'll probably get one on your first day of training (Our HRTM gives them out at orientation). If you don't, doesn't hurt to ask.

4) Just click the icon on any store workstation. It has instructions for first time use (Actually, I'm not sure it does with New eHR so don't be afraid to ask HR).

5) Ask a lot of questions when being trained. It's hard to remember EVERYTHING we need to say to a new TM so don't be afraid to ask if something doesn't click.

And honestly, don't sweat this stuff. For your first week or so you'll be paired with someone and they'll show you how it's done at your store.

Did your training schedule say who'd you be training with (mine did). If so, just get on a walkie and say, "Jim Bob, what's your location?" obviously use the trainers name, but you get the idea, lol. Since your first day is cashier training, you can always ask a GSA at guest services.

I was never given a temp name tag, but there are adhesive ones that you can write your name on. Ours are kept at guest services.

Keep in mind that you won't learn everything from your trainer and you will learn a lot. The worst thing a new TM can do is not ask questions. A lot of things will happen in scenario. I remember my first week and a Guest asked if I could help them get an heavy item off a shelf and take it out for them. I barely knew what a flat was and where to get one.

1 - If you are working during the day, the TM at TSC can likely get you going where you need to. If it's after 2:30 though, there might not be anyone there. Since you are cashier training on your first day, your should walk out to the checklanes after clocking in and report to the GSTL or GSA. That is the supervisor for the front end and he/she can introduce you to your trainer. If you cannot find them, go to the Service Desk and they can locate him/her for you.

2 - You won't need a walkie if you're cashier training. In fact, if you were hired on as a cashier, you will rarely be issued a walkie for your shifts. If you're sales floor or just about any other area, there are usually cabinets somewhere behind the counter at TSC. Access will vary by store. Some are grab-and-go, some require you to sign them in and out, and some are under lock-and-key (meaning you'll need to find someone with a key first). Again, don't worry about getting one on your first day.

3 - You can ask HR or the GSTL about a nametag. Chances are they'll just have you grab a New Team Member one off the board.

4 - You can log onto eHR on the computer in the break room or training room after clocking out from your first shift. There is an icon on the desktop at all of the workstations labeled eHR. Just open it and follow the instructions on the homepage for first-time logins.

5 - Listen to your trainer and don't be afraid to ask questions. You're not going to learn or remember everything from just one shift, and a lot of questions will come as those situations present themselves. Just remember it's better to ask and get it right then pretend like you know and get it wrong.

In fact, if you were hired on as a cashier, you will rarely be issued a walkie for your shifts. If you're sales floor or just about any other area, there are usually cabinets somewhere behind the counter at TSC. Access will vary by store. Some are grab-and-go, some require you to sign them in and out, and some are under lock-and-key (meaning you'll need to find someone with a key first). Again, don't worry about getting one on your first day.

Yeah, I'm a sales floor TM on hardlines. Thanks for the advice though! And thank you to everyone else for the helpful words!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back