DC Mechanics

Fix It

Former Property Management Lizard
Anyone here familiar with DC mechanics? I’m property management on the store side which is similar, but the DC Mechanics are kept completely secluded from our networks. I’ve found some information on the job but I’m looking for more clarity regarding it

They're members of the DC's Engineering and Facilities team or E&F (they use to be called Facility Operations or FacOps). They are exactly what their title suggests. They keep all our systems running. So things like fixing the mezzanine sorters and conveyors. Keeping miniload and roverpick operational. Keeping Inbound's ARTs running.

Basically aside from the powered equipment like forklifts (they use to fix these too, but its moved to an outside vendor) they're are responsible for fixing and maintaining all of the equipment in the building. There's 3 levels: MIT(mech-in-training), Mech 1 and Mech 2.

All of the mechs in our building have some background in industrial mechanics or electrical engineering. There use to be a test you needed to pass when you went for the position but I don't know if that's still the case with the introduction of the MIT program.

Your description regarding needing industrial mechanics and electrical experience/knowledge makes sense as to why they keep it secretive from my position. I came to my position with a ton of experience a few years ago where as most of my peers were all guys who worked hard on the salesfloor. Do you know anything about the schedule or what it pays?

The schedule is the same as the warehouse workers. So for my building A1 Saturday-Monday, 6am-6pm or A2 6pm to 6am. B1 Tuesday-Friday 6am-4pm or B2 4pm-2am. Then there's a 5th shift called B3 that's solely for mechanics and UA's (utility attendants who handle things like trash, working the balers, compactors, changing out batteries out on our forklifts and other random odd jobs) that's Tuesday-Friday 9pm-7am. They take advantage of the 4 hour window between B2 and B1 when no one is in the building to fix things or do preventative maintenance on things that can't be shut down during operational hours.

Pay is better than most other hourly positions outside of "merit" positions. Idk what MITs start at but mech 1 is mid to high 20s and mech 2 is high 20s to low 30s. And they still get OT like normal warehouse worker positions.

I don't think its a secret per se, I can find multiple postings in workday for it. Its just I think the responsibilities are so far outside what stores are doing and its so unique to DCs that no one who's never been in a DC would know what they do.

They're members of the DC's Engineering and Facilities team or E&F (they use to be called Facility Operations or FacOps). They are exactly what their title suggests. They keep all our systems running. So things like fixing the mezzanine sorters and conveyors. Keeping miniload and roverpick operational. Keeping Inbound's ARTs running.

Basically aside from the powered equipment like forklifts (they use to fix these too, but its moved to an outside vendor) they're are responsible for fixing and maintaining all of the equipment in the building. There's 3 levels: MIT(mech-in-training), Mech 1 and Mech 2.

All of the mechs in our building have some background in industrial mechanics or electrical engineering. There use to be a test you needed to pass when you went for the position but I don't know if that's still the case with the introduction of the MIT program.
Emphasis on the running part. Not fixed, not working properly. Just running.

Back