Corporate Dear Corporate...

I usually have at least one guest a week who loses it because they think that they have met the requirements, and then fall short because taxes don't count. And no, you can't buy a candy bar to make up the difference, unless candy bars are part of the promo (99.9 repeating% of the time, they aren't)

Target can't do easy sales. Just call it 5% off you assholes. Not, "Free $10 giftcard when you buy products in a blue package and are 12.5 ounces and have 3 vowels in the name."

Dear corporate shame on you for not promoting from inside Target and going outside for new TL'S that have never shopped in a Target before. You have TM that have been with You for decades and are now not qualified to work in areas that thay have been for years and have to train the new ones that are taking their jobs SHAME ON YOU!

Dear corporate shame on you for not promoting from inside Target and going outside for new TL'S that have never shopped in a Target before. You have TM that have been with You for decades and are now not qualified to work in areas that thay have been for years and have to train the new ones that are taking their jobs SHAME ON YOU!
This. Just this. If I had a penny for every person I trained who has gone on to be promoted over me, I wouldn't need to work again.

My store is small and every year we would lose leadership positions due to restructuring needs from higher up. We've had a handful of STLs over those years, all of which were outside hires. However, nearly all remaining positions that were open where filled with internal promotions. In the near decade that our store has been open, I could count the amount of external hires for leadership on one hand, and it's been mostly STLs.

This year, we gained a lot of leadership roles with modernization. And the SD is actually an internal promotion for the first time. They have been interviewing lot of team members for the available roles, but sadly, most of them just aren't there yet to take on the new responsibilities. So, while a few have been filled by promotion, the other half are still being determined through recruitment.

Corporate's role in filling store level positions is nearly non-existent. It's at the store director's discretion to hire the appropriate people to fill the roles in their store. If your store is not promoting, it's not because corporate says not to promote. Sometimes, people just don't apply for open positions. I've been asked on a few occasions to step up. I've passed in the past. This year, I accepted the opportunity. If you're not being asked, there's probably a reason. Don't assume other people aren't being asked. They may be passing on the opportunity to interview.

Last edited:
This. Just this. If I had a penny for every person I trained who has gone on to be promoted over me, I wouldn't need to work again.

If I had a penny for every person I trained that just up and quit - or they completely sucked at the job, but coasted by until quitting...... I would be able to quit, too!

/slight exaggeration, but not by much.

Dear Corporate;

Stop playing stupid little games, you aren't small children and you're too old for Hide and Seek. Admit that "modernization" is all about slashing hours, quit trying to hide that it is, and bring back specialization. The military functions well because everyone is specialized (do you really want your 92G cook jumping into the cockpit of an Apache?), building construction functions well because people are specialized, that is how the world works efficiently. You want to cut hours, fine, just be open about it because everyone already sees it. Don't destroy whatever water treading stores can do by throwing specialty skills into a blender on puree. It's almost like you are trying to drive the company to bankruptcy so someone you handpicked can purchase it cheaply and make a fortune by liquidizing the assets.

Dear Corporate;

Stop playing stupid little games, you aren't small children and you're too old for Hide and Seek. Admit that "modernization" is all about slashing hours, quit trying to hide that it is, and bring back specialization. The military functions well because everyone is specialized (do you really want your 92G cook jumping into the cockpit of an Apache?), building construction functions well because people are specialized, that is how the world works efficiently. You want to cut hours, fine, just be open about it because everyone already sees it. Don't destroy whatever water treading stores can do by throwing specialty skills into a blender on puree. It's almost like you are trying to drive the company to bankruptcy so someone you handpicked can purchase it cheaply and make a fortune by liquidizing the assets.
^This! After the golden parachutes, of course...

Dear corporate, I'm tired of being behind constantly. I'm tired of time wasted because we have so much stuff to move in the backroom to get to product. I'm tired of my milk flats clipping every single uboat, forcing me to go a different direction, thus taking more time and having more people watch me struggle with 40 crates of milk. I'm tired of the unnecessary changes, like defects at the service desk and OPUs only having 30 minutes (while the guest is told 2 hours, which I think is a tactic to impress guests while killing TMs), along with cashiers being forced to learn everything (and some REALLY can't handle it), and never ever ever having a clean store or backroom. I'm tired of hearing about three tiers being taken away along with tubs (I'll just cry if that happens at my store), which just makes things more inefficient.

I'm tired of softlines (oh, um, excuse me, STYLE) always having product everywhere. I miss the days where we got everything to brand (a term never heard anymore) and had softlines looking amazing. There was always an opportunity to catch up. I thought it was just Q4 but it's May and it hasn't changed. Maybe shoes or baby hardlines will look good if anything.

I'm tired of warm bodies pretending to go through the motions but in reality ignoring calls or other TMs asking for assistance. I'm tired of ridiculous expectations (1 minute per box? Yeah right). I honestly feel this isn't the way Target should be going, but maybe I'm alone in that.

Mostly, I'm just tired.

Dear Corporate,

I am tired of the sudden, very aggressive, and harsh coachings that my store's leadership is handing out to specifically targeted TM's. You know, the ones that are not the prettiest, may have a RBF, may be a little overweight, or not so young anymore?

I am tired of the lies. As of yet, my direct TL has not lied to me, but everyone above my TL has. I've just started to believe the EXACT OPPOSITE of anything they say at this point. Or I just don't listen.

I am also tired of having my reviews written by those who have no idea what I do. This year, a GSTL wrote my review. I'm inbound. How does that even happen?

Mostly, I'm just tired.
It's been that way for a long time here. Somewhere, Target lost what made it Target. In many ways, walking into a Target can only be differentiated from walking into a Walmart by the color scheme. Long gone are the days of unobstructed aisles; enough staffing that any guest who needed assistance could get it in under 60 seconds; team members with good pay, good benefits, hours, and the tools needed to do their jobs well; real advancement opportunities; Fast, Fun, and Friendly; etc.
I am also tired of the lies. As of yet, my direct TL has not lied to me, but everyone above my TL has. I've just started to believe the EXACT OPPOSITE of anything they say at this point. Or I just don't listen.
This too. It is hard to be motivated when a simple test of observation shows that your leaders are misinformed, uninformed, or lying like a bad toupee. How do we know when they can be believed? The fact that modernization was treated like it was an unsubstantiated rumor until it was a fait accompli doesn't help. I am resentful that the people who I turn to for information about my job treat me like a naïve kindergartener, who is not ready for the truths of the grown-up world.

Tired of the lie told when your hours get cut: "If you open your availability, you can expect more hours."
Open up avail at great cost to my family but never see the hours.
Yup— last summer my availability was basically all day every day. Got around 25 hours. This year I figured I might as well pick my days off, and made my availability smaller

They won't let us reduce our avail once we've opened it up.
If you're going to school, it'll depend on if you're a favorite of your ETL.

They won't let us reduce our avail once we've opened it up.
If you're going to school, it'll depend on if you're a favorite of your ETL.
Whenever I open my availability I set an end date so it reduces whether my ETLs like it or not :) but in my store ETLs are flexible with school etc

Back