Default on Target Debit card

So question, I made a huge purchase on my red debit card... like $900 worth. I bought it & had the items delivered. & I check my bank account.. someone had hacked it & took everything. I don’t have overdraft on my account so when the payment for the debit tried to come out it bounced due to insufficient funds. I called my bank and they said it takes 6-8 weeks for an investigation to finish & for me to get my money back. So I don’t have the money to pay for the items right now & im freaking out. Would they sue me or just send me to collections?

That’s not possible for me because the nearest target is 2 hours from me & i ordered furniture that won’t fit in my car.

You will get a bill in the mail to pay it plus INF fees. If you don't pay it then your red card gets shut down. This is why I have a checking account with Target Credit Union. I get to use my 10% and everything goes right out. When my card got hacked they credit the account within 2 days and took away all fees.

I don’t work there anymore, that was a few years ago. I moved and don’t even live near a target now. I’m just worried about if they will sue me or just send it to collections?

Pardon my ignorance, your saying you don't have enough money to pay for your furniture? If you don't have overdraft protection, then why wasn't the furniture purchase denied in the first place?? Sorry I'm confused.

OP bought furniture. OP had enough to pay for the furniture. Target debit RC takes 3 banking business days to process, and after that is when the funds are withdrawn from the account. During that 3 day period someone stole so much money out of the OP's account that there is no longer enough money to cover the charge when it finally hits the account.

Edit: I had someone get into my bank account once. The account was actually frozen pretty fast, the thief was transferring funds in and out and they froze it mid-transfer and then texted me, but it stayed frozen for a long time, I think it was a month later that I was finally able to close the account. I had to make a police report on the identity theft, later on I did get a copy of a subpoena that the local prosecutor sent to my bank in order to try and identify the person. Never heard anything more.

Last edited:
OP bought furniture. OP had enough to pay for the furniture. Target debit RC takes 3 banking business days to process, and after that is when the funds are withdrawn from the account. During that 3 day period someone stole so much money out of the OP's account that there is no longer enough money to cover the charge when it finally hits the account.

Edit: I had someone get into my bank account once. The account was actually frozen pretty fast, the thief was transferring funds in and out and they froze it mid-transfer and then texted me, but it stayed frozen for a long time, I think it was a month later that I was finally able to close the account. I had to make a police report on the identity theft, later on I did get a copy of a subpoena that the local prosecutor sent to my bank in order to try and identify the person. Never heard anything more.

Ok that makes sense now, thanks.

Back