Delete

Two words, weaponized incompetence.
If it's an area you aren't comfortable with don't refuse to do it.
That will just make you look bad.
Go to it and try your hardest to help out.
But do it exactly as you are instructed and as carefully as possible so you make no mistakes.
V.E.R.Y. C.AR.E.FU.L.L.Y.
You won't have to do it for long or they will make you a trainer.

Last edited:
Who is doing your actual job then? Why would one merit need to cover for another instead of using a backup? Then they put a different backup into your role? or your job isn’t covered for that day? If moving you means someone else does your job, that makes absolutely no sense. But if moving you means they can get by without your job, then I would do all I can to learn, because they may be looking to phase out your job and your OM is protecting you. A few years back they phased out multiple DC teams, and only about 10% were able to secure other roles in the building, those that had been open to learning new things and supporting other areas.

They won’t replace anyone on your team that leaves…no worries about layoffs..or y'all can go back to the GP in the warehouse functions

Either another merit team member or one of our backups have been covering my responsibilities while I have been training. The only reason I can see it makes sense is for the backup to get more experience because it's very rare for them to cover and they can go many months without being in my area and it's a lot to forget, especially with frequent process changes. On the other hand I can see them phasing out some of us in my dept because there really isn't much need for as many tms as we have that are full time, except during peak when it is necessary. But it is a critical role so I don't see them phasing us out unless AI takes over one day. The position I am being cross trained in doesn't require more than one team member though so if they decide to eliminate some of our positions then being trained in this other area isn't going to secure me a spot. Can the SOM make the call to eliminate positions or is that something that would have to happen as a direction from hq and across all sites? My team is solid and natural attrition isn't going to happen, even if they think we have too many in our head count. We have all been with the company for many years and none of us are on the verge of getting fired unless target can decide to lay us off. Is that another possibility that I should actually be worried about?
No your SOM cannot eliminate positions. However, there has been direction to merge some teams and downsize others. But they should be getting downsized through natural attrition, i.e. someone quits or transfers and the position doesn't get backfilled.

Merit should not be backing up merit. You have a different job to do. The only exception is ICQA and IB problem solvers. They're getting merged to be one time that reports to the ICQA Leader. They will need to learn to be B/Us for each other.

If you're referring to TMT, that is not a merit position, its an elevated progression. Still has a scale and regular pay bumps every 6 months. Those can be used and trained in any department as needed.

No your SOM cannot eliminate positions. However, there has been direction to merge some teams and downsize others. But they should be getting downsized through natural attrition, i.e. someone quits or transfers and the position doesn't get backfilled.

Merit should not be backing up merit. You have a different job to do. The only exception is ICQA and IB problem solvers. They're getting merged to be one time that reports to the ICQA Leader. They will need to learn to be B/Us for each other.

If you're referring to TMT, that is not a merit position, its an elevated progression. Still has a scale and regular pay bumps every 6 months. Those can be used and trained in any department as needed.
We were told ICQA and IB problem solvers are a seperate department but both report to the ICQA OM, other change is that the problem sovers are taking over damage defender. Nothing about the two cross training with each other.

We were told ICQA and IB problem solvers are a seperate department but both report to the ICQA OM, other change is that the problem sovers are taking over damage defender. Nothing about the two cross training with each other.
They are. But they're definitely going to trade them back and forth to backfill spots. From a purely financial standpoint, why would I limit my team to one or two people trained in a function when I can have a half dozen.

Which means they're going to cross train them. It's not if your building does it, it's when.

This is what we were told as well. I have been told over and over that I cannot learn any other roles as back up.

As a merit tm can I refuse training as a backup for a different merit position that I am not comfortable being in? I did not apply for it and I have never shown an interest for it, however my OM is forcing it anyways. We already have multiple backup tms for it and I'm wondering if I have have any grounds to refuse being put into that role myself or if I should just suck it up and do it regardless because it's an ask of my OM. I started training already since I feel like I didn't have a choice but it's really making me dread coming into work and I'm so stressed about it because it comes with a lot of liability and nearly every mistake will lead to an automatic CA. Has anyone here experienced something similar or does anyone have any advice?
What!?! I was told merit TM cannot be back up for anyone. Not other merits and not for progression roles either. Its purgatory for anyone wanting to show leadership and move up.

Back