Archived demotion question

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wanted to know the rules ...
suppose you are a TL and want to move to pharmacy because you will be attending school for pharmacy tech. ... you interviewed and basically had it in the bag and then are told (after youve informed your HR and three other LOD's of your plan who seemed okay with it) , that as a TL you cant demote yourself and work in the same store .

Also, had in the fact that we've had a senior team lead demote herself to a reg. TL and four other TL's in the store demote themselves to GSA's and regular TM's ...

according the HR-ETL , her boss has said that you cant demote yourself and work at the same store .

Had TLs step down from SrTL to TL as well as TL to TM without incident. Keep in mind though each district and store tend to have different "rules". So while it's permitted in other districts it is ultimately up to the HRBP and if they don't allow it you would be facing an uphill battle.

thanks , guess my biggest issue is that when i dug into in deeper the only feedback i got was "well new rules are made all the time "

Email your ETL-HR your case for how demoting to take a position in the pharmacy won't lead to any of the sorts of issues that a demotion can otherwise cause, since you will be effectively off in your own little world in the pharmacy. You won't have to answer (for practical purposes) to any of your former peers, which is why in-store demotions can be problematic. Even if your store has a Pharmacy TL who would technically be supervising you, as a technician it would make sense that you would be answering to that experienced TL, so even that wouldn't be a problem. Etc., etc. Then ask your ETL-HR to forward that email to the HRBP. You should be given the opportunity to plead your case. Emailing it directly to the HRBP, however, might come off as presumptuous or disrespectful of the chain of command, so you should definitely run this through your ETL-HR.

We just had someone in my store step down from tl. Now she's working all over the store and seems to be loving it. And, yes, she's still in the same store.

Yet another case of ETL's MSUATGA.
Keep trying, they might give in because it's pharmacy.

You can't demote in the same store, but you CAN promote to Executive Intern. Once you're in a pharmacy program talk to your STL about applying to become an Executive Rx Intern. You'll get higher pay (more than likely), have less responsibility, more intensive training and a better chance at becoming an ETL-Rx when you graduate. It's only 10 weeks, but you can either be extended until graduation or they can give you the Rx Tech position between summers. Hours might be an issue depending on how your store is with payroll. Our store has an extended ETL-HR intern that's able to max his hours every week if his school schedule allows, but there's also an Rx intern that gets around 10 hours at most.

I have demoted in the same store and know many others who have also,but that has been a few years ago,over this past year most of our tls have tried to demote because of pressure and stress,and were not allowed to do so,by the end of the year we will only have a few of the tls we started the year with as the majority have been forced out,or been fired,as have most of our etls and stl.

I have demoted in the same store and know many others who have also,but that has been a few years ago,over this past year most of our tls have tried to demote because of pressure and stress,and were not allowed to do so,by the end of the year we will only have a few of the tls we started the year with as the majority have been forced out,or been fired,as have most of our etls and stl.

:sorry:

You can't demote in the same store, but you CAN promote to Executive Intern. Once you're in a pharmacy program talk to your STL about applying to become an Executive Rx Intern. You'll get higher pay (more than likely), have less responsibility, more intensive training and a better chance at becoming an ETL-Rx when you graduate. It's only 10 weeks, but you can either be extended until graduation or they can give you the Rx Tech position between summers. Hours might be an issue depending on how your store is with payroll. Our store has an extended ETL-HR intern that's able to max his hours every week if his school schedule allows, but there's also an Rx intern that gets around 10 hours at most.

I believe the OP said school for "pharm tech," which is a completely different world than a Doctorate in Pharmacy.

The store I currently work in has 3-4 TM that used to be TL at the same store, so it's definitely allowed here.

It's bull that they're saying you can't demote yourself from TL to pharm. tech... for all obvious reasons, but ESPECIALLY because pharmacy tech is the same paygrade as team leads. Pharmacy technicians at my store have gone through enough leadership training that they are sometimes (especially during the holiday season) used to conduct 1st interviews, and to do other team lead duties when they are not needed in the pharmacy. This is possible/"Target legal" thanks to the paygrade.

With all due respect, going to school to be a pharmacy technician can be a huge waste of money, especially if you intend to be a technician at Target. I began working at Target with ZERO pharmacy knowledge.... I mean NONE. I actually wasn't even interested in it... I was put over there because HR thought I would be a good fit. Turns out they were right, and I got a career out of it. Soon I will be going to school to be a Pharmacist... but that's another story. :)

Anyways, Target (and MOST other pharmacies) give you all of the training you will need to be a pharmacy technician, on the job. Granted, it takes a little longer than it would take if you were learning it in school, but it's also free (well, opposite! You get paid for it!) Target also pays for your state technician license ($150) and your national certification ($300). At one point maybe a month into my training at the pharmacy I considered doing a $500 pharmacy technician course at a community college to get more knowledge in at once because I was getting impatient, but I'm glad I didn't. A lot of what they teach you needs to come with time anyways, such as reading doctors' horrible handwriting, memorizing brand names vs. generics, processing insurances, etc.

Just my opinion. :)

ALSO-- I have at least 3 team members at my store who are former team leaders, who demoted THEMSELVES for various reasons. Maybe this is something you should talk to the Integrity Hotline about. Sounds like your store is giving you a hard time for the fun of it.

Actually it makes 0 sense. My work performance is actually very good, and I consistently receive feedback from guests and management (mainly the LOD, provided its not the etl-ge) that I perform at a consistently high level.

I happen to be on Corrective Action for an accidental NCNS (I did end up showing up, just very late), so they are using it as an excuse. I wouldn't consider that to be "poor performance" by any means. Couple that with the fact that I don't let them get away with their bull****, and I don't jump at joy at the sound of every idea our wonderous GSTL has... Yeah they probably resent me a bit.

If I don't want to GSA anymore though, none of that should hold me back. Whatever though, I got several interviews this past week and am setting my sights much higher than Target atm. If they want to get their panties out of a bunch and keep me on for weekends, thats great... Otherwise no sleep lost here.

I'm actually kind of surprised they just don't demote me. You figure they would rather replace me with a cheerleader GSA instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a GSA get out GSA-ing by switching to electronics. Think about maybe tolerable lateral moves that might look like you are trying to improve yourself than just run screaming from the front (if getting out doesn't work out as soon as you want). Actual lateral moves however at P09 would be TPS and Signing, not sure what receiving is. But electronics, or any of the brand positions, or something at the next paygrade down such as Plano or BR could be argued.

We had a GSA get out GSA-ing by switching to electronics. Think about maybe tolerable lateral moves that might look like you are trying to improve yourself than just run screaming from the front (if getting out doesn't work out as soon as you want). Actual lateral moves however at P09 would be TPS and Signing, not sure what receiving is. But electronics, or any of the brand positions, or something at the next paygrade down such as Plano or BR could be argued.

You have no idea..... haha.

It's bull that they're saying you can't demote yourself from TL to pharm. tech... for all obvious reasons, but ESPECIALLY because pharmacy tech is the same paygrade as team leads. Pharmacy technicians at my store have gone through enough leadership training that they are sometimes (especially during the holiday season) used to conduct 1st interviews, and to do other team lead duties when they are not needed in the pharmacy. This is possible/"Target legal" thanks to the paygrade.

With all due respect, going to school to be a pharmacy technician can be a huge waste of money, especially if you intend to be a technician at Target. I began working at Target with ZERO pharmacy knowledge.... I mean NONE. I actually wasn't even interested in it... I was put over there because HR thought I would be a good fit. Turns out they were right, and I got a career out of it. Soon I will be going to school to be a Pharmacist... but that's another story. :)

Anyways, Target (and MOST other pharmacies) give you all of the training you will need to be a pharmacy technician, on the job. Granted, it takes a little longer than it would take if you were learning it in school, but it's also free (well, opposite! You get paid for it!) Target also pays for your state technician license ($150) and your national certification ($300). At one point maybe a month into my training at the pharmacy I considered doing a $500 pharmacy technician course at a community college to get more knowledge in at once because I was getting impatient, but I'm glad I didn't. A lot of what they teach you needs to come with time anyways, such as reading doctors' horrible handwriting, memorizing brand names vs. generics, processing insurances, etc.

Just my opinion. :)

This
Pharmacist here...Never go to school for pharmacy TECH. This is what I've told my sisters, brothers, cousins , neighboreors, employees, etc. No return on your investment. You can get a job without it. On the job training is what you need. :)

This
Pharmacist here...Never go to school for pharmacy TECH. This is what I've told my sisters, brothers, cousins , neighboreors, employees, etc. No return on your investment. You can get a job without it. On the job training is what you need. :)
Depends on your state and if your job has a training program that meets the requirements for the licensing. In my state in order to be licensed you have to either complete a state approved school program (takes 6-9 months to complete) OR have an employer that offers the same program on the job. I happen to have my A.S. in Pharm tech only because it was an extra 5 classes because all of my general ed transferred from college take-1.

So while expensive, and all, it let me graduate and be eligible for a job wherever I want - vs a place that was hiring with training. My background for my hiring as a Pharm Tech couldn't even proceed until my license was processed with the state (I wasn't actively seeking a job, so I hadn't submitted it.). Considering all that I have read here about minimum hours in stores, I don't see a smaller store like the one I will be working at having the manpower for the OTJ program the state mandates. Which is good - because now I can work my 20 hours a week 2.5 miles from home!

(and, I know i'm new - I just wanted to clarify that you do need some sort of schooling in some states, when I was researching the whole "going to school" thing, I kept seeing similar advice, but it became clear it really depending on ones location, as for the return on investment - I interviewed for a seasonal cashier job because I needed a job NOW, and was offered a pharm tech job with more hours each week (pushing my max requested), which is more than $3100/yr just for that time in school.... not a fast return on investment, but the extra $240/mo will be nice!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back