Archived Denied!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Month's notice and still denied! Major event coming up that I will not be missing and I even put the reason in there of why I need the day off and it was still denied haha. It wasnt auto denied either as there was a reply of why it was denied. Full disclosure it was not Black Friday or Thanks Giving.

I re sent the request and basically said do as you must but its not reasonable to expect me to miss this.

I have over 10 years of service in and not one write up! Looks like I will be going after my first! I will call them 2 hours before the shift and let them know I wont becoming in. Sure hope I have a slight tummy ache so I wont be lying! Seems stupid to only end up hurting the team when it's not something they should expect me to miss! I wont be there even if they deny it so why not take that months notice and make other plans?!

Semi rant over

I asked for several "must have off" dates 6 months in advance and they were denied... and denied again when resubmitted 2 more times. My reasoning was the same as yours with regard to being able to plan and schedule and my response will be the same. More than 14 years of exemplary service, one of only 2 "O" reviews at my store this year (and consistently excellent to outstanding reviews in previous years) you'd think they would know that I wasn't being frivolous. I know that I will have a stomach ache - this goes completely against my work ethic, but they have given me little choice.

Auto denied does not mean a person in a single handed manner denied your request. It meant that they overlooked it and did not respond then it was schedule makin' time so it fell through the sifter. It happened often when the requests went to etl directly, they'd forget to view all their requests and then go on vacay themself.
Now all requests I believe go to HR and hrtm. It's happened to me where I was leaving out of state and with a non refundable round way ticket. Just had to take it to HR and get it cleared up. I usually check on the status of my requests regularly and leave post it notes till its done.

What kills me is they will not have every person in your department working that day...someone has to have the day off, and you'll still get at least two days off that week, so why not have one of those days off be the one that you need?

Because Logic does not apply at Target...thing that pisses me off is I was denied some vacation back in August and aroundthat same time but not during any of the days I wanted off someone else from my department took like 10 days off and wasnt denied..such BS

OP, what was the reason they denied it?

That my request off does not meet the needs of the business. Like I said the ball is now in their court. They can deny it all they want but in the end all they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot if they do not approve this off and plan accordingly. I am being as much of a team player as I can be by telling them I wont be there regardless so to plan accordingly. If they want to write me up that is fine one write up in over 10 years of service is fine by me.

My HRTM and ETL-GE will deny stuff, and I stick my head in the ETL-HRs door, mention it, she gives me a look and tells me to resubmit it and she will approve it.

I'm guessing you aren't so lucky at your store? Maybe it is worth a shot?

But I get it, there are some things just not "missable" no matter the time of year. We have a TM that is her sisters maid of honor in her Jan 1 wedding. Denied. Like she is going to miss that?!?!

At my last store they went about 3 months at the beginning of last summer May-July where they were just straight up not doing anything with anyone's time off requests. They were all going auto-denied. When the first couple kept sitting there with no action taken until auto-denied, I started asking around with other team members and they all had the same experience.

I said to hell with it and started keeping track of how many went auto-denied. Then when the day would come up I'd just call in. On the rare occasion they actually asked me why I was calling in I would just straight up tell the LOD that it was because I submitted a time off request however long ago and it was never acted on, I tried to get someone to cover my shift but couldn't.

The other thing I started doing toward the end was changing my availability, which for some reason they usually approved right away.

But I get it, there are some things just not "missable" no matter the time of year. We have a TM that is her sisters maid of honor in her Jan 1 wedding. Denied. Like she is going to miss that?!?!

Ha, one of the days off that they actually did act on was my own wedding day. I had submitted the time off over 2 months before the day and they finally denied it about 1 week before the schedule was going to post for that week. Their reply was that too many people already had that day off (it was a weekend toward the end of July, not a holiday or anything). I put in a combination of time off request and availability change to cover the same time off I needed. On the comments section for the time off request I outright told them this was time off for my wedding and that if they chose not to approve the time off that I wouldn't be there anyway. It was approved on the second time.

Last edited:
We had a TL put in for time off last Christmas for his wedding at Christmas. He put it in over 6 months before! The STL told him no that there was no way. He was a really good TL and well liked. He ended up quitting had been there over 10 yrs. Got another job where they were more than willing to give him the time off.

I am relatively new to Target. I was hired 4 months ago as a part timer. I work nights and on the weekend. I put in a request for a night off in plenty of time. I found out yesterday that my request was denied and I was put on the schedule. I would not have requested the time off if I didn't have a commitment. I don't understand the reasoning of doing this. Would they rather me just call off? They are now making it my responsibility to find someone to cover the shift. I did inform the HR person about this and she is going to try to help. If she can't assist, I am just going to call in sick. Do they think because I was scheduled, I would cancel my prior commitment and come into work? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Do they think because I was scheduled, I would cancel my prior commitment and come into work? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes?

I really don't see the issue with them expecting such either. There should be very few things that are more important than being able to feed oneself.

Do they think because I was scheduled, I would cancel my prior commitment and come into work? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes?

I really don't see the issue with them expecting such either. There should be very few things that are more important than being able to feed oneself.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

Yes?

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

It'd depend what type of commitment.

Miss your brother's wedding? Maybe not.

Miss a dinner date? Yes, you can miss a dinner date.

Expecting Target to schedule around your plans though is silly for the most part with few exceptions.

I'm gonna disagree also.

Outside of a few days a year I can't see any reason why Spot can't work around you if you give them advance notice (like they ask for). There's 7 days in the week and for most positions plenty of people that can cover that day. You shouldn't have to have a good reason to ask for a day off.

I'm gonna disagree also.

Outside of a few days a year I can't see any reason why Spot can't work around you if you give them advance notice (like they ask for). There's 7 days in the week and for most positions plenty of people that can cover that day. You shouldn't have to have a good reason to ask for a day off.

I'm not actually in disagreement with what you're saying. Asking for time off, and taking it off regardless of whether the request is accepted or denied though are two different things.

Also depending on position, there isn't always much of an option. There might be in Shayna's case, but that's no less an assumption than assuming there isn't. Assuming there isn't also has one other advantage, it's unlikely their HR is just evil and says no to piss them off. If I want a Friday night off, there's three people in my store they could schedule other than me. If me getting Friday off means someone else has to clopen by closing Friday and opening Saturday I don't think that's reasonable for me to expect unless it's for a significant reason.

Am going bit off the point here but this is related to the time off requests and vacation request.

I am a long time team member who works in cashier position and this month hits a 5 year anniversary mark for me. Yay for me.

I have always follow their rules on when to request for time off and vacation requests. I've only asked for 3 time off requests out of 5 years which wasn't asking a lot. Been approved for it due to putting in good reasons.

On their billboard, it says that you would need to ask supervisor for time off before December 6 for the week of Dec 21-27. I only requested for a vacation request for Dec. 25-Jan 2 since I chose to work through christmas week until the 25th. I committed my time to work during the christmas holidays and requested for Dec 26th to Jan 2nd time off due to my family reunion and one of the member which is my cousin's wife whom we are very close to has been sick since she had the baby. The illness is the auto-immune hepatitis which is making her liver more prone to infections and I haven't seen her for several years. This is one of my concern because I've been DENIED for the first time since working for Target for 5 years.

Am at a point to having a hard time accepting to have to stay and miss the christmas gathering and we do not know if this will be the last christmas for my cousin's wife as she is struggling during this time. There are 50/50 chance she may make it through. Liver is the hardest organ that people receive as recipient.

With no set hours or working days, Target must be flexible.

At a "normal" job (even shift work), you work certain days a week or at least at certain times. You can make plans around your work schedule. Target wants the absolute most availability you can give (8am to 11pm, 7 days a week), but with that request must come the responsibility of being flexible with employees' outside commitments.

There is so much more to life than your job. And I say that for any job, not just a job at Target. What's the phrase? No one lies on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time at the office . . . you should be able to go on dinner dates, join a book club, a softball league or attend parent teacher conferences without worrying about getting written up by your job.

Am going bit off the point here but this is related to the time off requests and vacation request.

I am a long time team member who works in cashier position and this month hits a 5 year anniversary mark for me. Yay for me.

I have always follow their rules on when to request for time off and vacation requests. I've only asked for 3 time off requests out of 5 years which wasn't asking a lot. Been approved for it due to putting in good reasons.

On their billboard, it says that you would need to ask supervisor for time off before December 6 for the week of Dec 21-27. I only requested for a vacation request for Dec. 25-Jan 2 since I chose to work through christmas week until the 25th. I committed my time to work during the christmas holidays and requested for Dec 26th to Jan 2nd time off due to my family reunion and one of the member which is my cousin's wife whom we are very close to has been sick since she had the baby. The illness is the auto-immune hepatitis which is making her liver more prone to infections and I haven't seen her for several years. This is one of my concern because I've been DENIED for the first time since working for Target for 5 years.

Am at a point to having a hard time accepting to have to stay and miss the christmas gathering and we do not know if this will be the last christmas for my cousin's wife as she is struggling during this time. There are 50/50 chance she may make it through. Liver is the hardest organ that people receive as recipient.
I would talk to your Etl or hr, without delay.

This is why the GSTL do request the cashiers in October to see if they will be available for the thanksgiving holiday week and christmas holiday week. I was recently getting bad news from my aunt that my cousin's wife was recently tested that she has auto-immune hepatitis during the last week of October. When the GSTL asked me about these availability, I mentioned that I may not know yet. When I find out more news from my family, then told GSTL that I can work during thanksgiving week and also warned that am not too sure yet about the christmas holiday this time due to my cousin's wife being that sick. As I waited till Dec 4, my mom confirmed her flight and then I went to work as scheduled and requested for Dec 26 to Jan 2 and the deadline was Dec 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back