Archived Vacation Denied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My spouse is an SLTL and has been with Target for just over a year, never missed a single day of work for sick, etc. She took a few days of vacation a couple of months ago and now we have some friends coming into town so she put in to take another (weekend) day off in a couple of weeks.

Her ETL denied it - just wondering why vacation would be denied? What's the point of having it if you can't use it?! And does she have someone else she can talk to?

My spouse is an SLTL and has been with Target for just over a year, never missed a single day of work for sick, etc. She took a few days of vacation a couple of months ago and now we have some friends coming into town so she put in to take another (weekend) day off in a couple of weeks.

Her ETL denied it - just wondering why vacation would be denied? What's the point of having it if you can't use it?! And does she have someone else she can talk to?

I know you said a couple of weeks but requests will auto deny if its less than two weeks. If thats not the case need to speak with HR to figure out why the request was denied.

I know you said a couple of weeks but requests will auto deny if its less than two weeks. If thats not the case need to speak with HR to figure out why the request was denied.

She put it in 2 1/2 weeks before the date requested off

Only said ETL can answer for why it was denied but if I had to guess, it was either because the schedule was already written for that week or because your spouse is due for LOD shifts that weekend.

At my store at least, LOD shifts are planned out a lot further than just 2 weeks in advance.

I assume it was auto denied. Your wife is a TL, why doesn't she just ask someone how it got denied? A lot of friction at the store?

Only said ETL can answer for why it was denied but if I had to guess, it was either because the schedule was already written for that week or because your spouse is due for LOD shifts that weekend.

At my store at least, LOD shifts are planned out a lot further than just 2 weeks in advance.

I believe it was an LOD shift but those are consistent (she's had more or less the exact same schedule for the past year, including LOD shifts). So you can't ever take a vacation day on an LOD shift?

She checked and there was already 2 other TL's working that night so no reason one of them couldn't be LOD.

Last edited:
I believe it was an LOD shift but those are consistent (she's had more or less the exact same schedule for the past year, including LOD shifts). So you can't ever take a vacation day on an LOD shift?

She checked and there was already 2 other TL's working that night so no reason one of them couldn't be LOD.

Not all TLs are eligible to be LOD.

But as others have suggested, if other eligible TLs are already taking that weekend off then that ETL has good cause to deny the vacation. Simply because there's nobody that can cover for her LOD shift.

Only that ETL can speak to why the vacation was denied though.

What a bizarre post.

TLs should just ask their ETL directly, well in advance of the date. SrTLs need to make arrangements for someone to switch with them if it's on their normal LOD day.

She put it in 2 1/2 weeks before the date requested off

This is waiting until the last minute.

At my store we only allow about 3 people per work center vacation at any given time. Our leaders take time off a month in advance if they get scheduled they switch days with someone.

I have trained team members that they can request time off up to 6 months in advance.

Mytime let's you see who denied it and the reason if they input one I believe

Vacation time can only be checked/edited in store. It is the same site but on a store device, it has more features than at home.

That really isn't much time in advance for a SrTL. Most store's the LOD schedule is made 2-4 months in advance.
If she's on the LOD schedule at that time with LOD shifts on those days - it could be harder to move those around.
I'd have her talk to her ETL personally.

I have submitted time offs well beyond the two week period and the leads are notorious for letting them go to the auto-deny stage. I once had to ask my ETL like everyday to check on my time off and it still went into auto deny. These were requests made a month in advance and this ETL was too busy looking up his Instagram account than managing his team.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live in a tax free weekend state for school and that is what she requested that could be the reason. Any time you are denied and you really need the time off, speak to HR. They would much rather have you for a few hours than a NCNS. Also it has happened many times that someone puts in for vacation time and in the comments they will put I need that Monday off for an appointment, but they requested Tuesday on the calendar. Ask!

She was able to get it resolved. Apparently her ETL never even looked at it when creating the schedule so it auto-denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back