Archived Denied!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am kind of in both ball parks here, I think that if you submit a request for time off with plenty of notice ( somewhere in the month before the event) Target should have no issue getting coverage, for example I am the co founder with one of my coworkers of a ghost hunting team and we were given the opportunity to investigate the Chataue de Briseque in France all fees paid last spring. this is a once in a lifetime opp so we jumped it the second we were offered to go. we accepted the offer after consulting our team and everyone immediately put in to be off over 6 Months in advance. now only three of us work for target the others work for other companies in the region. the three of us who put in at target, DENIED, because we didn't give enough notice. REALLY? six months isn't enough time? we told them flat out that we wouldn't be in and would be on that plane and they swiftly changed their tune.
Now if we had put in the month we would be leaving then I could see it but come on really? be reasonable guys

I'm gonna disagree also.

Outside of a few days a year I can't see any reason why Spot can't work around you if you give them advance notice (like they ask for). There's 7 days in the week and for most positions plenty of people that can cover that day. You shouldn't have to have a good reason to ask for a day off.

I'm not actually in disagreement with what you're saying. Asking for time off, and taking it off regardless of whether the request is accepted or denied though are two different things.

Also depending on position, there isn't always much of an option. There might be in Shayna's case, but that's no less an assumption than assuming there isn't. Assuming there isn't also has one other advantage, it's unlikely their HR is just evil and says no to piss them off. If I want a Friday night off, there's three people in my store they could schedule other than me. If me getting Friday off means someone else has to clopen by closing Friday and opening Saturday I don't think that's reasonable for me to expect unless it's for a significant reason.

Why the hell not? I clopen at least once a week. And that makes it even harder this time of year when we are open later. In fact, on the two week out before Christmas, I do it twice where I work until 12:30am and have to be back at 8:30am. HR apologized to me and said she couldn't get around it. No biggie. They're making it up to me later in the week. No one is so special they can't clopen on occasion.

Why should it matter to them what type of commitment I have? I informed them well in advance of a day I will not be able to work. They had plenty of time before the schedule was due to figure out coverage. For the person who said that I should cancel my prior commitment and come into work, you are way off base. There are things way more important than work. Think about it before making such a ridiculous comment.

Do they think because I was scheduled, I would cancel my prior commitment and come into work? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes?

I really don't see the issue with them expecting such either. There should be very few things that are more important than being able to feed oneself.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

It'd depend what type of commitment.

Miss your brother's wedding? Maybe not.

Miss a dinner date? Yes, you can miss a dinner date.

Expecting Target to schedule around your plans though is silly for the most part with few exceptions.

Do anyone of you ask for time off? Do you only take time off when it's a lifetime event (wedding, birth of child, death in family)? If that was the parameter, you guys need to really re-think what is important. Some of you assumed that my prior commitment was something small and insignificant. Shame on you. It shouldn't matter what my commitment is. I asked for the time off. That should be enough.

Do anyone of you ask for time off? Do you only take time off when it's a lifetime event (wedding, birth of child, death in family)? If that was the parameter, you guys need to really re-think what is important. Some of you assumed that my prior commitment was something small and insignificant. Shame on you. It shouldn't matter what my commitment is. I asked for the time off. That should be enough.

Some people just don't ask unless it is a major life event (or a doctors appointment etc).
Some don't call out out unless they are two steps from death.
They tend to see their work ethic as proper course either because that was the way they were raised or because they saw the opposite and are doing everything they can to avoid that course.

While I was raised with the work no matter what mind set, I can certainly understand your perspective.
It's especially bad when the company takes advantage of that and decides to screw you every chance they get.

My thoughts are, don't try to shame the folks who can't see it your way and understand that Spot is going to be a dick about this.
Is it right, absolutely not.
Their business model hasn't taken the TMs into account for some time.

Do what HLM suggested, get in there and talk to the HR ETL.
Plead your case and hopefully things will work out.

Last edited:

Some people just don't ask unless it is a major life event (or a doctors appointment etc).
Some don't call out out unless they are two steps from death.
They tend to see their work ethic as proper course either because that was the way they were raised or because they saw the opposite and are doing everything they can to avoid that course.

While I was raised with the work no matter what mind set I can certainly understand your perspective.
It's especially bad when the company takes advantage of that and decides to screw you every chance they get.

My thoughts are, don't try to shame the folks who can't see it your way and understand that Spot is going to be a dick about this.
Is it right, absolutely not.
Their business model hasn't taken the TMs into account for some time.

Do what HLM suggested, get in there and talk to the HR ETL.
Plead your case and hopefully things will work out.

I didn't mean to shame people. If I came across like this, then I apologize. I completely understand work ethic and working hard. I have a 40 hour a week job, and then I am working 30 hours per week at Target. I have never worked for a company that does this to their employees. I have worked for companies that understand the work/life balance. I expected Target, who heavily promotes a team atmosphere, to understand. I am sure it will work out. I just wanted to seek guidance from Target veterans. I thank everyone for their comments.

I didn't mean to shame people. If I came across like this, then I apologize. I completely understand work ethic and working hard. I have a 40 hour a week job, and then I am working 30 hours per week at Target. I have never worked for a company that does this to their employees. I have worked for companies that understand the work/life balance. I expected Target, who heavily promotes a team atmosphere, to understand. I am sure it will work out. I just wanted to seek guidance from Target veterans. I thank everyone for their comments.

Seventy hours a week has got to be a killer.
And I don't blame you for being a bit confused by the huge disconnect between how Spot presents itself as a wonderful team an d the reality.
There was a time when that team atmosphere was real, now it's just an effort to avoid being unionized.

Work/life balance is pretty much a joke especially during the 4th quarter.
You are asking for time off during a black out period.
In retail that is a hard sell.

The reason why should really never matter. If you need off you need off. I am entitled to 3 weeks paid vacation a year and 2 personal days (or well I was back when I worked 40 hours a week) Meaning there are 17 PAID days that I am going to get off in a year. Its really none of Spot's business what I do on those 17 days. That is just for paid off days! If they are not even paying me it really shouldnt matter what I am doing because they are not paying me to not be there.

Seventy hours a week has got to be a killer.
And I don't blame you for being a bit confused by the huge disconnect between how Spot presents itself as a wonderful team an d the reality.
There was a time when that team atmosphere was real, now it's just an effort to avoid being unionized.

Work/life balance is pretty much a joke especially during the 4th quarter.
You are asking for time off during a black out period.
In retail that is a hard sell.

Still confused by this, and I mentioned it in another thread. Target, the company overall, as I understand it, does not have an official black out period anymore. Now, your STL's and ETL's might tell you they do. True or false? Because it either is or isn't. It can't be both. Or am I wrong. I'll give an example: some stores have shift differentials. And even the differentials are different. But the store STL does not determine that. So, I don't see how the store STL can say ... No one at my store can ask for time during this period ... And legally enforce that. Now they may retaliate if you push back. But that's a separate issue. Any thoughts?

By different differentials, I mean some stores will have $1. Some will have $1.50. Some have none at all. Just a clarification.

Going to do my best to answer this with a couple of major caveats @waterspout .
I haven't worked for Spot for a while so I am happy if folks will correct me and the one basic rule of The Break Room, all stores are different.
(Which I am happy to admit doesn't shine well on Spot.)
As to the matter of differential it pretty much went away except for TMs working overnight.
I thought it was a dollar but it might have gone up or be higher in different states.
As to black out dates, sure the company might have decided to get rid of them officially (probably because of bad press) but that doesn't mean the HR ETLS won't still use them.
They make the job easier.
Lazy is as lazy does.

Last edited:
@commiecorvus I think that pretty much sums it up. . They may say its allowed but I am sure that's just a ploy so they can use it for good PR. I have also been told that its a case by case basis . We had a log/etl ( who was a nightmare but she knew her stuff) who had a rule if you worked Christmas even you would be off the day after Christmas. So, she gave us a choice in the backroom. Flow didn't have a choice cause there was a truck but they were off the day after Christmas.

Shift differentials vary widely by store. Some have none. Those that have them have varying amounts.

The store I worked ay previously had no differential. It was concluded that getting employees was easier in that area so no differential was needed.

That was about 6 years ago.

Shift differentials vary widely by store. Some have none. Those that have them have varying amounts.

The store I worked ay previously had no differential. It was concluded that getting employees was easier in that area so no differential was needed.

That was about 6 years ago.

Did you have an overnight crew, working midnight to 4 am?
That's usually when the shift diff is used.

No, they came in at 4am. One day, the etl-log and etl-hr had a meeting with flow, backroom, etc. They said that starting on x date, there would be no more differential. But, current employees would get a raise added to their base pay for that amount. Any new hire would never see it. The reason given was that Target didn't see a new for it in our area.

No, they came in at 4am. One day, the etl-log and etl-hr had a meeting with flow, backroom, etc. They said that starting on x date, there would be no more differential. But, current employees would get a raise added to their base pay for that amount. Any new hire would never see it. The reason given was that Target didn't see a new for it in our area.

Yep, I remember when that happened.
The plano team was coming in early enough to get shift diff but they just gave us a raise to make up the loss.

The period between Thanksgiving and Christmas are the busiest weeks of the year.The weekends were black out in our store. I totally understand. When seasonal people were hired they were told (in our district) that the weekends were mandatory as well as the entire week of Christmas. In the end it is a business. This is the time when they have the potential to make or break the year. I personally am going to go postal on the next person who tells me they can't work on Christmas Eve because they have a "family thing" Hey we all have a family thing.

I was expecting the store to close early on xmas but it closes at midnight?

The period between Thanksgiving and Christmas are the busiest weeks of the year.The weekends were black out in our store. I totally understand. When seasonal people were hired they were told (in our district) that the weekends were mandatory as well as the entire week of Christmas. In the end it is a business. This is the time when they have the potential to make or break the year. I personally am going to go postal on the next person who tells me they can't work on Christmas Eve because they have a "family thing" Hey we all have a family thing.

Still no reason not to be flexible. As a single employee, I can only work 40 hours. So, there is no reason not to be flexible. My family doesn't do anything on Christmas Eve. So I'm good to go. But if people have family traditions and if they can be accommodated, there's no reason they can't be.

I find it a total paradox that some companies would profit off the very traditions they seek to destroy in the name of profits. I got it. That's where our paycheck comes from. And I'll slap a smile on my face while we destroy Christmas Eve just like we are Thanksgiving. But I don't have to like it. Blah!

Was it a blackout date, and if so, we're those dates posted? Our dates were posted in August for blackout dates.

The conclusion of my story in regards to requesting time off. Before creating the schedule, the ETL didn't check to see if anyone requested time off. In bringing it up with ETL-HR, she talked to the ETL and made everything right.

The conclusion of my story in regards to requesting time off. Before creating the schedule, the ETL didn't check to see if anyone requested time off. In bringing it up with ETL-HR, she talked to the ETL and made everything right.

Glad to hear everything worked out.

Our Exec denies all requests and waits for you to come begging for it, and I usually end up not getting all the time off I wanted in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back