Archived Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch, only in todays society a “know-it all” a “jack of all trades” can have a negative connotation:D
@Planosss You know I value ALL of your input even if I don't agree. You know yourself and you know others see your "strong personality" as being a dick. You've even said so on occasion. But back to the topic at hand. People, development is NOT done overnight. It takes time.

@Planosss You know I value ALL of your input even if I don't agree. You know yourself and you know others see your "strong personality" as being a dick. You've even said so on occasion. But back to the topic at hand. People, development is NOT done overnight. It takes time.

I got you man, “planoss” is my online alter ego. As you know you cant be so blunt or a “dick” in real life, dealing with people and sheeple.
I agree with you, development does take time, leadership though , is inherent in some people.

Quick update, since my last post I’ve been a GSA for about 6 months, I continue to work on the sales floor running recovery, working on projects and helping team leads with workloads they need help with. I believe one of our TL’s is leaving and I’m supposed to be ready for interviews by the end of the week so I’ve heard, i have tremendous support from the team lead in the position that’s leaving as well as all my ETL’s, STL and team leads/mentor, my only concern is I’ll blow it in the interview, I don’t have any prior interview experience really besides when I was hired on and when I moved to GSA, and this has been my continued biggest opportunity, I have the knowledge and I know the answers but I seem to just freeze in interviews and not be able to structure my answers well, I understand the concept of a broad scope when answering these questions and I believe my scope is broad when it comes to the stores processes, the job isn’t even posted yet, I’m not too concerned about any other team members applying for the position but I do worry about external apps, I am younger and I have expressed to my STL and ETL’s that I want to be with target for a while and they all support me, anybody have any advice for team lead interviews? Maybe it will be more of a technicality since they already support me taking a leader role or could a mediocre interview make or break it for me? Sorry to rant just stressing a little because this is the one position I feel I’ve been working towards and wanting and one my STL and sales floor etl would like to see me in instead of being at the front.

Sit with your back straight, almost forward in your chair, take a few subtle slow breaths to calm your pulse, think about your answers rather than blurting out the first thing that comes to mind.
Make sure you're well-groomed, shirt tucked in & neat slacks (no tears); as others have said 'dress for the position you want'.
Go in with your shoulders back & your head up.

Thanks! I already wear a polo tucked in every day and everything, my problem is more of the speaking aspect

Thanks! I already wear a polo tucked in every day and everything, my problem is more of the speaking aspect

I would set the bar a little higher, at least for the interview. Get a nice, crisp button down shirt that is straight red (no maroon, no kinda-pink, no might-be-orange), dress pants, and dress shoes. Wear a belt (no tie). As a GSA you're already wearing a polo (and most GSAs wear them on a regular basis), but you're looking to be promoted so you need to dress the part. Leadership won't expect you to wear a button-down every day, just on days where there's going to be a visit.

As to the speaking aspect: Do you practice at home? You already know the questions. Write down your answers and think them through. Once you're done, stand in front of a camera a record yourself. Watch the video and make adjustments: Look at your tone, your body language, your presence, etc. It's not all about what you say but how you say it. I've found it really helps to watch myself, otherwise I would never notice certain bad habits.

If you're going to talk about certain metrics you had an impact on, see if you can get a print out of those metrics in advance. Give them to your interviewer as you're discussing them. Even if they look at that report everyday, they'll still be impressed that you had the foresight and you cared enough to bring it with you.

From another thread:

One of the interview questions for TL and up is explaining how you improved an existing process.

.. but you can get performanced out for saying that a process has room for improvement in the first place? Not quite adding up.
Thanks
Sloth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back