Team Development

SuperTarget

Former Team Member/Leader
So I'm new to the team leader space so there is always advice I can take, and things I can learn from, but I wanted to hear some perspectives from other people that have more experience than myself here. I'm learning a lot but this is my first year in the role so appreciate any help.

With the usual review and APP period fast approaching I'm looking to discuss team performance with my ETL soon and where we can attempt to develop the team some more but I have a couple team members I've struggled with. My ETL knows where we stand on this as well and he really encourages me to try new things with the team and if we fail we learn fast from it and try something different. He is developing me here at the same time while I try to develop the team. Prior store leadership was kinda lax on these team members for so long so performance is pretty lacking in some areas and they have gotten comfortable contributing very little. With the SD we have now and kinda a reorg within the store over the last year or two, we have been trying to squeak productivity out of the team.

I try to assess my team on "capability" and "commitment". Here are two examples of TMs I've struggled with and while one recently left I have been putting an increased focus on the other. My "A team" team members know who they are, and while they don't get a ton of my focus right now I try to make sure they aren't forgotten either. One of these "A team" team members my ETL is looking to potentially elevate to TL at a nearby store so we may have to replace that talent in the coming months as well. Lots of changes happening but necessary ones so thats part of the game here.

The first team member here basically performanced herself out because she fell in the "low capability" and "no commitment" bucket. She had numerous attendance issues, offered no availability, and really couldn't contribute. She failed to meet the goals and expectations despite myself and my ETL trying to support her in various ways. For example, changing her area or trying to give her more backroom/audit/zone tasks instead, but it just wasn't there. Her hours got slashed majorly in the new year (more so than some other tms) and my ETL and I told her it wasn't retaliatory/personal but that she didn't meet the business needs and unless she could provide more availability we couldn't give her more hours. She decided to give her notice recently and leave Target. I was already documenting the attendance pretty hard there and was already on a 2nd CA. She unfortunately wasn't going to be a strong talent and everyone knew it.

Now the second TM I have is similar but with slightly different issues. Attendance is pretty ok but the availability is kinda horrendous and he has basically gave us a hard 'won't work past this time' limitation. In addition, his "capability" while better than the other TM that I discussed has a lot to be desired. So even if I spend a lot of time with this TM in trying to support him and develop that capability, he is giving me really no commitment. He doesn't show a desire to want to do more or elevate what he contributes to the team. This puts me in the same boat as the other TM. We can't give hours here. We would be giving hours to someone that isn't contributing. I will be discussing this with him during his review period and trying to understand what his goals are with Target and if there is an interest to potentially grow and what we can do to support him, but is this someone you would personally invest in? Or do we start looking for potentially other outside talent or talent within the store to fill this gap? If I could see stronger commitment I think I could work with this TM but without that my hands are pretty tied.

Allowing under performers to not perform only hurts the tms that do meet expectations and more. A lot of tms want to just come in for their shifts then leave, nothing wrong with that but they need to try and perform.

We would be giving hours to someone that isn't contributing.
That’s a mistake right there .
I would give this person the hours within his availability and then let them work for the week , and at the end of a week I would submit a pdd with all the dates of the week where he didn’t meet expectations. At the end of the week you pull this person in the office and explain where he is at with his performance and if you don’t see an immediate improvement will lead to ca or termination .
You can’t wait until the review time for this you want to make it known now that he might not make it to the review time.
It is not fair to your team to focus on this person who clearly sounds like he has no desire to be there besides collecting a check .

As a former manager across many different companies I know how difficult it is to get rid of unproductive employees, but you have to. It hurts morale in the fact that the rest of the team is killing themselves to cover and eventually you start losing the good workers as hey get burned out. My current store is 99% i'm just here for the paycheck and corporate just stepped in and all the Execs are gone, it's only a matter of time before the TLs start disappearing. This company is not currently in good enough spot to have slackers working here. Just my 2 cents...

As a former manager across many different companies I know how difficult it is to get rid of unproductive employees, but you have to. It hurts morale in the fact that the rest of the team is killing themselves to cover and eventually you start losing the good workers as hey get burned out. My current store is 99% i'm just here for the paycheck and corporate just stepped in and all the Execs are gone, it's only a matter of time before the TLs start disappearing. This company is not currently in good enough spot to have slackers working here. Just my 2 cents...
My standpoint is from 40 years of working.

You know within six months whether an employment will work out.

Many companies don't get rid of said employees because they have no one to replace them with OR BOTHER TO LOOK.

In most cases you are "at-will" so threatening to terminate someone is just going to make them walk out of the door without notice.

If you have ever been laid off or fired in the past an employee should only be loyal to their next paycheck.

Back