Team Member Development

What are some of the best way to help encourage talent to grow and think as a leader? There are a few team members who want to grow their position with the company, but I feel like giving them new tasks is only half of the development process.

What are some of the best way to help encourage talent to grow and think as a leader? There are a few team members who want to grow their position with the company, but I feel like giving them new tasks is only half of the development process.
On workbench, there is development program for leadership.

What would be most helpful is if Target actually had someplace for this developing talent to go. Many stores/districts/groups/etc. are over on head count already and attrition is a slow process to fix that but they don't force anyone out either. Yet there are development programs running, some with dozens of people who would all be competing for the same opening if one was allowed. Where exactly does Target think these people are going to go??

Carrot dangling at its finest.

Attitude is a big part of development. Working well with others. Drinking the kool-aid. Nobody cares that there inf is 1% or they cam pick 1000 units am hour. Not saying that working hard isn't important because at the end of the day they want the job done no matter what and you have to prove that they are willing to do it. Spot is extremely picky with internal hires and they want them to be 100% ready beyond anything they expect of someone coming externally. They also have to do this forever as they have no idea when a position opens up.
You as a leader in order to help them need to make sure they get the spotlight when they do those things. Recognition in meetings, email, and huddles. In the end they just have to be lucky.

For me leadership is a mindset. I’ve seen too many team leaders that are simply super team members in my book. They may have knowledge, work hard, etc but can’t inspire others or strategize to remove obstacles for the team. Leadership is a mentality. They’re the people who are willing to ensure the person to the left and right of them are taken care of. Making those around them better and driving to make sure their lives are bit easier.

I say that to say this, demonstrating leadership first and foremost should be the start. They should be a leader amongst their peers. How to help with that? Put them in the position of leadership.

I remember when I was running a tough remodel I had team members basically running the set process for the day. I rotated it and seen how they performed and communicated. Many were able to get the buy in from the others and could inspire them to perform better. 5 promotions came from that team.

As others said above, you have to ensure their accomplishments are highlighted. Additionally, workbench has great tools to assist.

For me leadership is a mindset. I’ve seen too many team leaders that are simply super team members in my book. They may have knowledge, work hard, etc but can’t inspire others or strategize to remove obstacles for the team. Leadership is a mentality. They’re the people who are willing to ensure the person to the left and right of them are taken care of. Making those around them better and driving to make sure their lives are bit easier.

I say that to say this, demonstrating leadership first and foremost should be the start. They should be a leader amongst their peers. How to help with that? Put them in the position of leadership.

I remember when I was running a tough remodel I had team members basically running the set process for the day. I rotated it and seen how they performed and communicated. Many were able to get the buy in from the others and could inspire them to perform better. 5 promotions came from that team.

As others said above, you have to ensure their accomplishments are highlighted. Additionally, workbench has great tools to assist.
Wish I worked at your store. You sound very healthy! Here, there is no collaboration. Suggesting, or taking initiative that gets results efficiently are threatening to leadership here. TL s are threatened by any TM getting recognition in the form of perceived development ops and WILL go out of their way to sabotage. Everything from literally walking up and "taking" your work away as their own or handing it to the person next to you...to ignoring your few and far between walkie calls... to blind side false coaching in front of guests or coworkers. You d think...an employee who is well liked by coworkers, impresses guests, rocks in every department, asks for help only when needed ...would be a gem not to discourage and treated well in general. Nope. THAT TM gets on the cut list and is blatantly ignored by leadership.

Wish I worked at your store. You sound very healthy! Here, there is no collaboration. Suggesting, or taking initiative that gets results efficiently are threatening to leadership here. TL s are threatened by any TM getting recognition in the form of perceived development ops and WILL go out of their way to sabotage. Everything from literally walking up and "taking" your work away as their own or handing it to the person next to you...to ignoring your few and far between walkie calls... to blind side false coaching in front of guests or coworkers. You d think...an employee who is well liked by coworkers, impresses guests, rocks in every department, asks for help only when needed ...would be a gem not to discourage and treated well in general. Nope. THAT TM gets on the cut list and is blatantly ignored by leadership.
Very frustrating seeing that. I think it’s important to distinguish boss from a leader. I know it’s semantics but I in my mind see them differently.

A boss and a leader have distinct mentalities when it comes to managing a team. While a boss can sometimes be seen as a dictator, merely giving orders for others to follow, a leader takes a different approach. A leader understands the importance of teaching and empowering their team members to succeed.

Unlike a boss, a leader thrives off of seeing others succeed. They take pride in their team shining because they know that their own success is contingent on the success of their team. A leader focuses on developing the skills and capabilities of their team members, providing guidance and support to help them reach their full potential.

In summary, the mentality of a boss is often centered around control and authority, whereas a leader's mentality is centered around teaching, empowering, and fostering the success of their team. A leader understands that by investing in their team members' growth, they create a dynamic and high-performing environment where everyone can thrive.

I think of it like that which helps my move in a way that I believe is beneficial to my team, Store, and District. Others may see things differently, I’m not saying anyone is right or wrong.

Another example of a boss versus leader.

A boss will deny a TM transfer to another department because they have other TMs that have poor performance but don't address it.

A leader will allow a TM to go to another department knowing if they block a transfer that TM will just quit. Leader will also address other TMs poor performance.

Back