Didn't get rehired after i was PROMISED i would when asked to quit

So I was just getting off loa and was still pretty sick, I was asked to quit because basically it was confusing HR.

I was swapping my shifts because i couldn't handle them at the time. but i never had no call on record nor was i ever written up.

So they asked me to quit, i thought i would protect myself by writing i would be rehired on my exit papers. I was told by HR that i would have no problem getting rehired when i was feeling better.

Is been a year and i went to a hiring event yesterday and recieved an email today saying they will not be hiring me??

I said I would work everyday and every holiday. And I told them in my files it said I could come back Anytime.

I had worked there for over 10 years with good record.

What can I do to get my job back??

So I was just getting off loa and was still pretty sick, I was asked to quit because basically it was confusing HR.

I was swapping my shifts because i couldn't handle them at the time. but i never had no call on record nor was i ever written up.

So they asked me to quit, i thought i would protect myself by writing i would be rehired on my exit papers. I was told by HR that i would have no problem getting rehired when i was feeling better.

Is been a year and i went to a hiring event yesterday and recieved an email today saying they will not be hiring me??

I said I would work everyday and every holiday. And I told them in my files it said I could come back Anytime.

Call and ask.

It sounds like you didn’t leave on good terms, loa’s, shift swaps, quitting..... we at Target are more robust, agile and dedicated now. You sound like someone who will need a lot follow up and such.
On the other hand;
Auto rejection emails are common, please reach out to the store.

Unfortunately, just because the ETL-HR or SD says something orally to you about future re-employment, doesn't make that a binding promise.
Writing on your exit papers that you thought you would be rehired doesn't make it a binding promise on Target.
If you had asked for a promise of being eligible for rehire, Target would not have given it because their goal is to keep their options open.
Put your best efforts into finding a job with a place where your skills and abilities will be highly valued, perhaps Costco Wholesale or The Home Depot are examples of places you would thrive at.

Reduce their paperwork and explanations to the district bozo. They lied. Get someone new. They don't care about healing. Next time be absolutely sure you get something in writing and back it up with district HR. They may even dance around that too. Take care of yourself, best of luck.

How sad is it that they have to keep on lying to hard working people like that. But a lot of people are right the op should not have trusted the shitty spot to keep their word and should have gotten it in writing. Places like this want you to pressure you to quit instead firing you so they don’t have pay unemployment. I know from experience trusting the shitty spots word is meaningless!!!!

OP said HR talked them into quitting in order to heal. More likely HR couldn't legally fire them so talked the OP into quitting with a well spun tale of "we want you to focus on healing and your job is waiting for you once you've healed."
I’ve done this with quite a few “problematic” TMs. It saves a lot of red tap.

OP said HR talked them into quitting in order to heal. More likely HR couldn't legally fire them so talked the OP into quitting with a well spun tale of "we want you to focus on healing and your job is waiting for you once you've healed."

Yep, a real fucking cute way of getting around the ADA.
Illegal as hell if it can be proven it was done with malice, especially if there is a pattern.
So fuck people who use methods like this to get around offering support to employees with medical issues.

I understand everyone's points and I certainly sympathize with the OP, but how are companies supposed to handle situations like this, when company LOA is exhausted but the the TM can't return to work? Obviously pinky-swearing that they would hire the TM back was shady, but what recourse do they have, and what recourse does the TM have?

Well, it's 12 weeks of leave. And it doesn't have to be taken as a block, so potentially 8 weeks off then as needed. And even if the 12 weeks is exhausted, it's still a temporary disability so subject to ADA accommodations, including reduced work schedule (if Target can give physically strong TMs 4 hours a week, then they can reduce average hours to a manageable level for a disabled TM) or transfer to a position that the disabled person can do.

Spot’s leadership (ha!) should show some integrity and tell the truth. Yeah, I know, good luck with that in the rarefied atmosphere of the kool-aid drinkers..
To the OP: Sorry that happened to you, I don’t know if the EEOC or legal aid could help you, but you might give them a call and ask. Good luck!

So first things first, don’t quit when a company asks you to. Let them fire you.

Secondly, they are not required to do anything that isn't in a written contract. You writing that you expect to be rehired isn't agreement on their part that they will.

Also can't advise on what your performance was like before your illness, there may be some things that they could tolerate in an already hired tm that they don't want to have now. I've refused to rehire people who were attendance or attitude issues, even if I couldn't discipline it when they were employed previously (though I do follow anti discrimination and would not let medical related absence, if I knew about it, cloud my opinion.)

Back