Archived Didn't make compliance twice this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time I missed my clock in time to start work by 3 minutes because my TM# wasn't authorized so I had to get an ETL to override it which took 3 minutes. The second time I was caught on my way to clocking out for work by a customer who had a question so I stopped to help her and ended up clocking out 7 minutes over. How do I deal with those situations when I'm on my way to clock out and get stopped by a customer. I didn't wanna be and say I can't help but I needed to clock out. Also if I didn't make compliance twice in a week is that grounds for termination? The first one was excused because there was obviously nothing I could do about it. But I hear not making compliance even once is a really big deal

Yep, compliance is a major deal and you can get fired for it.
The first one they should have done a mispunch so that it doesn't exist at all since you were trying to punch out.
Te second one comes down to going on break early enough that even if you do get stopped you have enough time, knowing the short cuts to avoid guests, taking your nametag off as soon as your heading for break, putting on the "I can't see you, I'm much too busy face" and finally getting on the walkie and calling for someone to come help the guest if it's taking too long.

Punching in three minutes late isn't really a big deal, especially since it wasn't your fault. You can do a punch correction for that one. For the second one, you were just punching out for the day right? Not your lunch? At my store, 7 minutes really wouldn't be that big of a deal.

However, if you were late for a lunch and violated your state's laws on the matter, then yes that's a big deal. Laws obviously vary by state, so partner with HR at your store to determine if you actually went into compliance.

Missing some info on the situation. You should have done a mispunch for the 1st. But its no big deal clocking in 3 minutes late. If the 2nd was you heading to lunch, and missed compliance by 7 minutes, you should have excused yourself and walkied another TM to help the guest. If you were clocking out at the end of your shift. No biggy. Many people clock out a few minutes after their shift. Unless your store is ultra strict.

The only time your store management will jump on you for time clock issues is if you acquire overtime, uncorrected punch, or you don't clock out in-time for your lunch. Most states its, you have to have your lunch before your 5th hour. In other states, its 4th hour. So at most stores, its wise to get your lunch out of the way first.

Somes stores do have periods of where TMs must do perfect punches. But its not important.

Last edited:
The way I read this, I think you are interpreting "compliance" wrong. Going on "Compliance" (atleast at my store) is that you went over 6 hours(or whatever your states laws are) without taking a meal break. That is the only time we ever use that term.

Punching into work late or punching out at the end of the day late is not "going on compliance". While if you keep doing excessively it they may talk to you to watch it, or if your going into OT you will definitely get a talking to.

I agree with Mr. George....I think the OP is misunderstanding "compliance" unless the 2nd situation was clocking out for their meal. In pharmacy, we rarely/if EVER clock in/out EXACTLY at our start/end times (particularly if we are opening/closing). For example, our pharmacy closes AT 9 p.m. The pharmacists can't close the gate and we have to keep at least 1 register open until 9 p.m. She starts closing the gate at 9 p.m. and I close the register. That takes about 1 minute. It takes about another minute to grab everything and walk to the time clock (and that's in a perfect world, assuming we don't get stopped on our way by a guest looking for something and have everything else done earlier)...I clock out at 9:02 at the EARLIEST. In reality, we have to take back/sign in the equipment, sometimes the garbage, drop off coupons, $$, etc and clock out at 9:10 or even later because we don't have time to do all of that prior to closing because guests inevitably show up the last hour NEEDING this or that...we've never had an issue. If there are multiple people starting/ending at the same time, it's impossible for them ALL to clock in/out EXACTLY on time....

I guess that's why our pharmacy register is in front of the gate. I don't think they close the register. You have to walk through the store with money?

I guess that's why our pharmacy register is in front of the gate. I don't think they close the register. You have to walk through the store with money?

Lots of people walk thru our store with money. When the pharmacy opens, the tech picks up the money bags from the GSTL. Portrait Studio and Optical carry their money bags at their close. Pharm carries their money bags at their close. GSTLs carry a ton of money during the day to fulfill requests and when an advance needs to be made from the CO. And last, but certainly not least, the person funding the drawers at night has $6000 that he's carting around to fund the drawers and lord knows how much from the drawers. Probably $100k?

Lots of people walk thru our store with money. When the pharmacy opens, the tech picks up the money bags from the GSTL. Portrait Studio and Optical carry their money bags at their close. Pharm carries their money bags at their close. GSTLs carry a ton of money during the day to fulfill requests and when an advance needs to be made from the CO. And last, but certainly not least, the person funding the drawers at night has $6000 that he's carting around to fund the drawers and lord knows how much from the drawers. Probably $100k?

At my store, the pharmacy registers are outside of the gate, but there is a door that goes from the back of the pharmacy to the TM area, so whoever closes the registers can walk directly to the drop-slot without going out into the store.

They probably do...I've subbed at other pharmacies in the area that have their registers outside the gate and the registers get closed when the pharmacy closes. The pharmacist walked the money to GS, where it was put in the drop-slot. That pharmacy was in the middle of the store and I guess a lot of them are like that....

People walk through the store all the time with money, how do you think it gets to electronics, pharmacy, FA, or any other area away from the "$$ room"? We're not like a bank where we have a chute that delivers it....although that would be sweet ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back