Archived dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dying Sun

Ojutai's lieutenant
Hey everyone so I have a bit of an issue here. tonight I was out in the parking lot getting carts around mid afternoon and I happened across some cash. so I picked it up and upon further examination found that it totaled 170.00 dollars. now herein lies the problem. I could put this to good use for textbooks and such for the upcoming semester but would it cost me my job if it was found that I kept it. any and all help is appreciated. P.S please don't turn this into an ethics debate keep it spot related thanks.

Last edited:
You'll earn more than $170 working at Target, no matter how much you hate working here. Turn it in. Not worth the risk.

Back in the day it was policy that if you turned in cash or a gift card, if it wasn't claimed after 30 days or so it would be given to the TM. I'd ask your AP or HR to see if that is still the case

At my store, those days are long gone. If cash isn't claimed, it stays in the register & spot keeps it.
@OP: by not turning it in immediately, you may have already compromised yourself. They'll ask you why you didn't turn it in ASAP & was there MORE than $170 to begin with.
And you can bet there's a camera shot of you picking it up.

What red said..

I wouldn't do anything if you already picked it up and haven't turned it in yet, might cause more problems. Most likely no one will come looking for it unless it was a wallet or something. If it was just cash on the ground/in envelope, meh.

I would say the RIGHT thing to do would be to turn it in. However the RIGHT thing that spot should do is let you keep it if no one claims, but they are greedy assholes and just pocket that money. From experience at Guest Service, about 95% of cash goes unclaimed, so if you did take it, its a victimless crime.

Cameras probably won't be able to distinguish such a small object, the parking lot cameras in general are a lot crappier. You wouldn't really have to worry about this anyways unless someone came looking which is almost never the case.

If you were at another Target and you weren't on the clock and your ethics wouldn't bother you, sure keep it. But the fact that you were on the clock when it happened is asking for trouble. I don't know about your AP but mine is a real ball buster.

My advice to you would be to turn it in the next time you go to work. Say you found it that day and forget about it. I know you said you didn't want ethics to come into this but at the end of the day the money doesn't belong to you.

Turn in the cash....it is the right thing to do. Who knows, that might be money for a car payment.....or rent....or saved money to buy a TV.

If this was your money that was lost, wouldn't you want someone to be honest and turn it in?

When you turn it in and they ask you why you didn't turn it in immediately just tell them that it was late and everyone was trying to get out of the store and you forgot to stop and turn it in.

Just make sure to turn in the cash ASAP....on your next day of work.....and turn the cash in as soon as you get there.

It's not your money, turn it in. Simple enough. If you're so damn strapped for a textbook then buy one used off amazon or craigslist.

If you're so damn strapped for a textbook then buy one used off amazon or craigslist.

Off topic response for this comment:

Getting a usable used textbook is becoming increasingly difficult. Textbooks are being released with a substantial amount of content/assignments online that require a license to access. If you buy the book used, the publisher is more than happy to sell you a license....for about 80% of the cost of the new book.

All it takes is a guest calling the store with a description and a kind hearted AP to follow them from the registers and out the door.

Textbooks - Skip the college Bookstore. Go to half.com and amazon.com. Or rent a text book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back