Archived Do they even think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The end of the fiscal and year was last Saturday. We are having huddle Monday morning, and the LOD says .... They added two trucks this week so we're already behind 200 hours tho year.

What? What? How can we be 200 hours to the bad and it only be the second day of the year?

The LOD then went on to say that two people called off but they won't be replaced because hey, we're short on hours.

Who is running this company? Does anyone else feel like the company is being run into the ground?

absolutely !!
we had 2 less TMs to push the pfresh truck today.... so we ended up leaving 3 freezer pallets.

Too early to have earned flex hours, and it sounds like many stores aren't making sales...so if they accept added trucks and staff for them you will be over for payroll.

Same thing at my turd store. Target's fiscal year is over and hours still suck ass. I think the low hours is finally going to be the thing that motivates me to leave this shithole of a company. Been with the dump for too long. Wasted 8 years. Think I'm going to go try to clean cars at Enterprise.

But yeah Target is run by idiots. Canada fail, data breach, and that.mentally I'll employee killing himself due to hazing.

Brilliant minds at Target. Hahaha. Not.

Target is run by people who would drop dead in less than a week if they tried to do the job of a TM.

They are great at dreaming up new ways to make people feel like failures and unappreciated because they are failures BUT they are genius at selecting ETLs & TLs who are willing to enforce their insane ideas.

Most ETLs & TLs spend 20% of their days overseeing people who can't possibly accomplish what on paper it says they must accomplish. The other 80% of their day consists of taking breaks together & patting each other on the back for doing a "great job."

Most ETLs & TLs spend 20% of their days overseeing people who can't possibly accomplish what on paper it says they must accomplish. The other 80% of their day consists of taking breaks together & patting each other on the back for doing a "great job."

You speak for your own store on this, of course. But some stores have ETLs and (especially) TLs who work hard for their team. I'm a TL, and I don't take breaks with the ETLs, I take them with my team. At least some of my team - every day. I'm also the first person to arrive and the last one to leave - every day.

It's review time of the year. And I can tell you 100% that I've had to fight for some of my TM's review scores. Some fights I win. Some I don't.

Target is run by people who would drop dead in less than a week if they tried to do the job of a TM.

I completely agree. As a leader, I'd be lost without my team. They are the reason I am as successful as I am, and whenever I get recognition from the STL or DTL, I give 100% credit to my team.

That said, I know ASANTS. and I don't know your situation.

Last edited:
ROFL @ they're failures but geniuses at selecting ETLs and TLs who are willing to enforce their insane ideas.

So true.

Dreaming up ways to make people feel like failures and unappreciated. Hahaha

Well, they could've done the even shittier option that my store chose (and by chose, I mean forced to do by our DTL). We were going to miss payroll for the month of January, but barely make it for the year. Then the DTL forced us to add a truck for Saturday 1/30 (last day of the fiscal year). That truck caused us to miss payroll for the year. I wish we could have waited until this week to add it. At least we would be able to make it up. But adding a truck on the last day of the year? Yeah, can't really do anything about that.

IIRC payroll is a huge focus for the company for 2016. Fact is when stores make sales, we earn more hours. When we don't make sales consistently, the extra hours we earn get taken away. And when those hours are already pre-planned and used, naturally store teams have to figure out ways to cut, easiest way to do that is not replacing callouts. It's not the best way but it's a quick fix. I remember last month before FY2015 ended our teams were encouraged to leave early and any shifts that were on the swap were not filled and TMs were simply taken off the schedule. Right now we are only replacing essential callouts (places that need coverage for business needs like Sbux, Target Cafe, etc).

I don't know how Target is hurting for money. At my target the store was always busy! Though the hours could still suck
Part of it is margins. There was a message from my regional director (or whatever that's called, head of the region) saying to stop putting up store-made cartwheel signs because it was hurting our margins. Freaking blew my mind. Target creates an app to save people money and says to stop advertising it because it's saving people too much money. A store could make $50.0M per year, but it isn't that impressive if it costs them $49.9M to do it. But if a store makes $30.0M and it only cost them $29.0M to do it, then they made 10x more profit ($.1M vs $1.0M). (Disclaimer: I completely made this shit up.)

The week of the 14th a bunch of people got 4 hrs for that week. I got 20 which is cool with me but then saw they were doing orientation with 10 new people. Why do they keep hiring a bunch of people if they can't even give hours to their staff as it is?
Filling in shifts they can't fill otherwise due to people's availability would be my guess. Especially with (potentially) people's schedules changing recently due to class, etc. Or even replacing people they're trying to get to quit due to no hours.

Filling in shifts they can't fill otherwise due to people's availability would be my guess. Especially with (potentially) people's schedules changing recently due to class, etc. Or even replacing people they're trying to get to quit due to no hours.

Yeah makes sense. Just kinda counterproductive it seems. Like they don't want people to leave but then hire more people when hrs aren't even there for those that have been there

IIRC payroll is a huge focus for the company for 2016.

When you raise the base to $9, 10, or even higher based on local laws.. then guess what.. the balance has to be maintained.. to keep the margins and numbers the same or better. No way that lower profits is part of that equation.

That means LESS TM's sucking up profits, bonuses and STOCK DIVIDENDS.

This applies to ANY COMPANY regardless of sector the SHORT SIGHTED investors/wall street drive this nonsense, sadly.

You speak for your own store on this, of course. But some stores have ETLs and (especially) TLs who work hard for their team. I'm a TL, and I don't take breaks with the ETLs, I take them with my team. At least some of my team - every day. I'm also the first person to arrive and the last one to leave - every day.

It's review time of the year. And I can tell you 100% that I've had to fight for some of my TM's review scores. Some fights I win. Some I don't.

I completely agree. As a leader, I'd be lost without my team. They are the reason I am as successful as I am, and whenever I get recognition from the STL or DTL, I give 100% credit to my team.

Oh, I DO agree that there are some shining exceptions to what I've said. We have some wonderful ETLs & TLs also. The good ones work their butts off right alongside the peons when necessary AND they have your back also!

Maybe the real problem is that corporate encourages lazy leaders to BE lazy by the way they structure their job responsibilities?

The week of the 14th a bunch of people got 4 hrs for that week. I got 20 which is cool with me but then saw they were doing orientation with 10 new people. Why do they keep hiring a bunch of people if they can't even give hours to their staff as it is?

Making sure you prevent as many team members as possible from being eligible for benefits is a year long process. During the 4th quarter they are more generous with the hours for the non-seasonal employees & so they have to compensate for that 'generosity' for many months after that to get things back to normal.

Our ETL's and TL work their butts off and are always willing to help a TM who needs help or has questions.

They hired a bunch of new people at my store too and they are still doing interviews and more hiring. I am one of the lucky people who get 30 hours a week, a lot of TM's have 9-16 hours.

They hired a bunch of new people at my store too and they are still doing interviews and more hiring. I am one of the lucky people who get 30 hours a week, a lot of TM's have 9-16 hours.

Yeah it's crazy, I got lucky with 20 hours. I don't mind cause I need a break but one girl got ONE hour that week. Most got 4 to 10 hours, it's crazy.

Making sure you prevent as many team members as possible from being eligible for benefits is a year long process. During the 4th quarter they are more generous with the hours for the non-seasonal employees & so they have to compensate for that 'generosity' for many months after that to get things back to normal.

Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back