Archived Do you ever worry about free speech at Target?

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 73
  • Views 7K
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Not trying to start WWIII but do you ever worry about the consequences of what you say at Target?
Do you ever worry that someone will narc on you for what you've said? Do you pick and choose who you talk to at work?
For me, I think it's a comfort zone. If you know the person and know their demeanor and personality, then fine. At the same time, you have to realize that some people are sensitive about everything and you also have to remember that you can't trust some people in life. Sometimes, Target can be like Survivor.
If I had a lawyer and a lot of money, I would try my best to have a free speech clause included in my contract with an employer if it was possible. That way if I say something that someone doesn't like or if I have an opinion that isn't the opinion of the majority or the cute and trendy opinion, I'm protected.

If you are on the clock or can be identified as a Target TM, you give up your right of free speech.

I have seen guests make complaints about other TMs, and the TM got reprimanded. TM yells at a car & driver for almost hitting them while crossing the crosswalk. A TM cursing outloud (wearing red/khaki & name badge) while getting lunch at the nearby McDonalds. Then there is the whole social media policy.

Or be fined and suspended by your bosses for saying OMG during orientation or the Draft Pick.

Yea, free speech as such is only guaranteed to you by the government.
If you swear at your Congressman you can't be put in jail.
If you swear at your ETL you can be fired.
The one way you might get some protections is if you have a union contract and even that is pretty limited.

Being honest in such an environment is an art form and sometimes requires the biting of ones tongue to wait for a better time.
I unfortunately tend to forget.

I never worry about it, because I don't think I've ever said anything that would get me into trouble. If a guest starts arguing with me, I walk away. I don't cuss on the floor. I don't talk shit about coworkers, though many of them talk shit about each other. I don't think any of my personal opinions are even offensive to anyone, except maybe anti-feminists and people who are offended by other people's political opinions. None of that would get me into trouble at work, though, because I don't discuss politics with coworkers. At all.

Idk the social media policy, but I may have broken those rules.

Don't get me wrong I have done my fair share of gossiping or moaning and groaning about things before but I have always known that the wrong thing to the wrong person could get you in trouble. If you need this job to pay your bills the best bet is to just keep your mouth shut while clocked in. I'd even suggest not popping off when you are punched out to people you work with. It all comes back to bite you and sometimes those bites can be fatal. If you do not need this job being true to yourself is always a good policy but at some point know you do have to grow up and do and say the right things. When I was was younger I had a job that I had no problem telling the boss where he could shove this apron (worked in food my first job). If I was still there today with a car payment and house payment I would just shut up and do my job.

I think there are few exceptions such as if you make threats or incite fear or a riot. That's pretty much it in my opinion. Your life shouldn't be destroyed because someone said they were offended or because you said something that someone doesn't agree with or like. Someone could say they are offended by my facial hair and my life could be destroyed. America has turned into the land of wimps.

At my store, store leadership accused a team member of flaunting his sexual orientation. They told him it was OK if he was gay but they asked him not to be so open about it while at work whether it be on the floor, in the backroom or off-stage. They said talking about sexual orientation can divide people and sometimes make for a hostile work environment. They said things like politics, religion and sexual orientation don't really belong in the workplace. Brief references are OK but anything more than that is inappropriate.

I can understand about team members and ETLs feeling uncomfortable if they hear a team member or ETL talking about sexual activities. I don't think it matters which way you swing sexually. Stuff like that is common sense.

At my store, store leadership accused a team member of flaunting his sexual orientation. They told him it was OK if he was gay but they asked him not to be so open about it while at work whether it be on the floor, in the backroom or off-stage. They said talking about sexual orientation can divide people and sometimes make for a hostile work environment. They said things like politics, religion and sexual orientation don't really belong in the workplace. Brief references are OK but anything more than that is inappropriate.

Wow. I know you probably don't want to give out too much info to identify yourself but I would love to hear more specifics on this. The granddaddy of all lawsuits.

Really mixed feelings on this one.
If the guy is walking around talking about giving blow jobs and what kind of lube he likes than they have a point.

But they don't get to tell him not to talk about his SO (or husband if you live in a state where it's legal) the same way I can mention my wife.
To suggest that someone has to play the pronoun game is bullshit.
If that makes someone uncomfortable that is really their problem not his.

Yes, work probably isn't always the ideal place to discuss things like politics but I really can't think of place where it's needed more.
In my case the religion questions are usually informational since people want to know about Judaism.

Really mixed feelings on this one.
If the guy is walking around talking about giving blow jobs and what kind of lube he likes than they have a point.

But they don't get to tell him not to talk about his SO (or husband if you live in a state where it's legal) the same way I can mention my wife.
To suggest that someone has to play the pronoun game is bullshit.
If that makes someone uncomfortable that is really their problem not his.

Yes, work probably isn't always the ideal place to discuss things like politics but I really can't think of place where it's needed more.
In my case the religion questions are usually informational since people want to know about Judaism.

I get a lot of questions about my religion as well. (Serbian Orthodox) our christmas, new years, and easter are on different days because they still use the Julian Calender. So I usually get a lot of questions about that. There's a lot of gay's at my store and Ive never seen them get in trouble for their sexual orientation. Idk i feel kinda conflicted about it. If it was a straight girl talking about her sexual preferences would she get in trouble like that guy did??? idk.. i feel there's a double standard there

I can understand about team members and ETLs feeling uncomfortable if they hear a team member or ETL talking about sexual activities. I don't think it matters which way you swing sexually. Stuff like that is common sense.

Common sense isn't common.

I would say no. I think the double standard has changed now with the political correctness and thought police calling the shots in America. A work place would feel scared to confront a gay employee for excessive amounts of PDA with their lover. If the accused is a straight person and is white, I don't really think the work place would feel scared to confront said accused. Excessive amounts of PDA is gross and annoying by all types of people. In my opinion, I don't care if you're a yuppie guy frenching your blonde wife. I don't care if you're a very outgoing gay man biting your man's lip. It's gross and rude to do that in front of others. In 2014, you can't confront people especially if they belong to certain minority groups. Actually, I would say you can't confront anyone about that stuff since everyone is offended by everything. I'm surprised someone hasn't approached me and said that color of red offends them.

-__________________-

When would PDA ever occur at work? PDA doesn't even bother me, but no one's lip biting at their job. Hos don't even bite their boyfriends' lips in front of johns (unless said john requests it). And there's absolutely no situation where someone wouldn't be called out for doing it. And you wouldn't get in trouble for having "offensive" facial hair unless your store's leadership is filled with close minded assbags. Feel free to enact consequences for my language. A guy in my store grew out his hair and beard to ridiculous lengths (he looked gross. "Real talk") but he didn't get fired and there were no consequences... Other than the fact he was repelling womenfolk.

From what I remember of target's rules, you can't get in trouble for holding unpopular opinions, but if you don't know when to back down and have explosive arguments over those opinions, that could be trouble. You have to pick battles... And the battlefields for said battles. Target is not the battlefield you're searching for, so if a peaceful debate escalates, just drop it. No need to go on offending folk because free speech blah blah blah. People are allowed to be offended by whatever they're offended by. That might not be in the constitution, though /s

As a side note, I'm sick of the phrase "minority groups" and I don't give a [redacted] if you think I'm sensitive. I'm free to be sensitive.

If none of this makes sense, my excuse is wine. I'm a fabulous drunk typist.

When the hell is anyone showing any PDA on the clock?

(Save for whatever the ETLs may or may not be doing in their office)

I have my personal opinions but I never stated them at work. My absolute favorite ETL is gay and I love him to death. He was always good and fair to all team members. I might not agree with his lifestyle but that's not something that I would ever bring up at work. There's a time and a place for those kind of things.

Most workplace strive to have a professional environment and demeanor and want their employees to exhibit respect for social mores - especially if the general public is your source of revenue. If you have filter problems, social issues, and do not want to or will not adhere to the policies, requirements, rules, whatever that your employer has there is one personal freedom that you can absolutely use: QUIT. You're not the boss, you don't pay the employees, you don't get to set up whatever rules you want, you accepted a job offer with the knowledge of said terms, you are getting paid (a wage that you accepted when you took the job) and nobody has forced you to work there. Places that, by the nature of their business, deal with the public and rely upon the public for revenue will usually ask that their employees be able to communicate appropriately with the public and to treat them with respect as much as possible. If you don't like it, don't want to, again, I will say that you have the option to QUIT. Freedom of speech...freedom of anything...comes with responsibility and consequences. Why do I get the feeling lately that people expect more from their employers than what they agreed to when they were hired as though they are doing them a great favor by gracing them with their presence in the workplace? I guess that I do not understand the point of this thread.

Now read the above post while listening to the audio of that fucking diversity ad they play in electronics.

Yeah. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back