Archived Do you give general greetings of the day, why or why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobycord

Know a little bit of info about a lot of stuff
So I have a question, for leaders and TMs. do you greet everyone you see at the store the same and if you say hello or good afternoon and they don't respond what do you do? Do you repeat it or do you just let it roll off your back? And TMs if a leader greets you or says hello or good afternoon etc. do you respond? Why or why not?

I most often won't say anything unless spoken to first, regardless of position. I will always respond to you unless I'm pissed off at you. However, I will always respond to a manager. ETL and higher get the most direct response because of their positions and that's the only reason why.

I completely agree, it doesn't piss me off because at the end of the day don't really care how someone might feel about me if I know i'm doing everything i need to do but i've said hello to a TM, the TM looked at me, didn't respond, and kept work. So just so I knew that this was happening I repeated "good afternoon A" and she looked up again looked at me like, "I hope you're not expecting me to say it back" and started working again. I try not to have the whole fuck it i'm gonna speak when spoken to attitude because of my position but it gets kinda hard sometimes lol.

So I have a question, for leaders and TMs. do you greet everyone you see at the store the same and if you say hello or good afternoon and they don't respond what do you do? Do you repeat it or do you just let it roll off your back? And TMs if a leader greets you or says hello or good afternoon etc. do you respond? Why or why not?

Good thread! I usually smile and nod to everyone. Some TMs are just grumpy and so I dont bother talking to them too much.

I told one of our cashiers last Friday to have a food weekend.

She snarled at me "I am working all weekend"

Its funny because some people I figured I would have no common ground with are really nice people. I say this all the time one of the underrated things about Target is you will find someone in the store you actually deeply care about. Maybe more.

On a side note, to me there is nothing more awkward then seeing a TM you dont know very well saying hello and walking by that same person five minutes later. Often this leads to us pretending we didnt see one another.

I always say good morning to people (or sign it in the case of our deaf staff).
I'm a big fan of the polite society, however I do understand folks with anxiety issues and a need to keep to themselves.

Yes there is one TM i used to speak too who would shake when I would try to make eye contact with him. I just let him be these days but I respect small talk makes some people uncomfortable.

I say hey, or give a slight nod, but that's about it. I'm not one for small talk. If I'm on the clock, I'm working, and can't be bothered to stand around and chit-chat, even for just a few minutes. Maybe that seems cold to some people, but the people who want to shoot the shit aren't the ones who will be helping me with my tasks later one when I've fallen behind.

Only if I'm on friendly terms with them, I'll initiate a greeting. Otherwise I won't typically throw one first but will always reciprocate. Growing up in Germany and in a military environment, I'm not really up for the whole "act like I just snorted a fat line of sunshine and rainbows the moment I got out of bed" thing.

Like what @2Spooky4U said, I'll initiate with other team members I'm on friendly terms with. I'll always respond when someone greets me. Depending on my mood, I'll usually toss good mornings to the flow crew when I see them since I'm friendly with quite a few of them seeing as I'm usually there either before open or at opening. I'll always say hello to TLs up. I'm usually super polite lol

The world would be a better place if people were just friendlier to each other. It's a simple statement, but oh so 'effing true.

Too many haters for me.
It's not that I hate people by any means. I enjoy people and getting to know them, I'm just terrible at initiating conversation and I'd rather be neutral than fake extroversion.

I work in an office environment where everyone is constantly absorbed in their tasks...either paperwork or on the computer/phone.

However if I pass someone in the hallway I almost always say hi or at least give a smile or a nod.

My current company is a lot like Target with the whole team mentality and being friendly and customer service. We're even called team members and have team leaders and such...lol

However if I pass someone in the hallway I almost always say hi or at least give a smile or a nod.
up.gif

Great thread!! I've always been pleasant to ALL parties, whatever there title or position. I know this is not for everyone, but I've made it my personal goal to at least know everyone's name. I might not know what they do, but at least I know their name. Also if they share something personal with me (kids, sports, party, cars, etc.) I follow up on those things. I keep it as cordial and professional as I can. We around each other sometimes more than our own outside lives, I take it we might as well be civil to one another. Again, it's not for everyone and certain people are antisocial or have psychological issues and really "can't" help but to keep to themselves, so I get it.

I used to try to greet everyone, but I loop around the store a few times per hour since I'm SFS, and it gets kind of exhausting trying to say hi to everyone (and remember who I already said it to).

Now I usually just say hey or good morning to my immediate coworkers and anyone else who says it first.

I do my best to CIHYFS every guest, but again it gets hard to remember who I've already said it to when I am just looping around the store all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back