Do you have "trainers" at your store?

DBZ

We have a few. One is a horrible trainer. I hear him telling new advocates that when someone comes with a huge cart full that they can slow down and take their time. He also just tells the advocates to have the guests click "no thanks". It makes me crazy. The other two are great and I would have picked them as well.

It brings me to wonder what it takes to be considered a "trainer". I'm using quotes because these few are actually labeled as such.

I'm a trainer. I took the "train the trainer" training and everything. But I do not have a nametag that says I'm a trainer (thank god). That was a week or so ago, but I've had people assigned to me to train since a couple months after I started at Spot. The training itself was a bit of a joke, because it seems to think that we find out days ahead of time that a) we'll be training someone and b) who that person is and c) that we'll get their resume or some shit so we can adapt our training based on the person's skills and experience.

In reality, we're told when we arrive that we'll be training someone that night. Things have gotten a bit more structured with the introduction of the "4 shift" modules that put some structure, maybe, around what they should be learning each shift, but most of the time we're told how many training shifts they've had and roughly what we should be working on with them that night, but we're mostly left to sort of figure it out and try to figure out what they need to at least be shown that shift.

At my store, trainers are basically people that have been around for a bit. Sometimes just a little bit. We only have 2 TLs in GM, and they pretty much never work nights, so if the newbie is one who works nights, it's just sort of up to us to figure it out.

We have at least two gm tm's from each block who get stuck as a trainer. I however have never been a trainer and I have been here longer than most.... I am convinced the leads think I will scare away any new team members by being brutal.

My nametag says Trainer and I've taken the recent trainer course in Workday. But I totally wing it on what training happens when I train someone. We only just got the official 4 day training guides for GM so we've had to make do.

I was a FA and a CA trainer. It was a way for HR to pass on the paperwork part to a TM for no extra pay.
Training should be done by other TMs. As a TL I don’t do the job everyday or know all the tips and tricks of someone that pushes carts. TLs should check in and partner the new TM with the right TMs to get the best training. Makes no sense for a TL to train new TMs especially up front. When I was GSTL I would have 4-5 people training at the same time during seasonal. No way they would get proper training if I tried to train all 5 of them while trying to run my department

I was a trainer. At the end they had no training so I had no customers. I was training one young buck on the baler. He was constantly on the phone. The others in the group (4) were fine, they listened. I told this clown to put the phone down and pay attention. He didn't. I stopped the lesson, apologized to the other folks and told him to get the hell out of the back room. He did. We finished the lesson. More critical to pay attention when learning how to do a safe bale than zoning stuffed olives.

I was a trainer. At the end they had no training so I had no customers. I was training one young buck on the baler. He was constantly on the phone. The others in the group (4) were fine, they listened. I told this clown to put the phone down and pay attention. He didn't. I stopped the lesson, apologized to the other folks and told him to get the hell out of the back room. He did. We finished the lesson. More critical to pay attention when learning how to do a safe bale than zoning stuffed olives.

Good job, you don’t mess with the captain.

I think they're bringing trainers back for the holidays since a few of us that work the front were asked to take the training and told about the position. I'm sure it's basically just a fancy title.

Is there anything useful in that "train the trainer" video? I don't get to watch it, but I get to train people.

Sure! I bet it has TONS of useful training tips!!!
aaf_lol.gif

Sure! I bet it has TONS of useful training tips!!!
aaf_lol.gif
I'm sure you are right Kartman, but you never know... Target might come out with a video one day that isn't a total time waste. I have not watched nearly as many videos as you all, but surely they aren't all stupid?

The video is a total waste of time unless your store happens to run perfectly and can actually follow how they want new hires to be trained. Reality works much differently.

The best part about it was the guides that came with it--PDFs that go through what the trainees get so you can have an idea of what they've done (or not done) when they get to you for training. Otherwise it's common sense shit like "talk to your trainee and find out what their experience is so you don't bore them with stuff they already know!" As if. They used an example of training a guy in electronics who had worked at Best Buy for 10 years. Which is not going to be the situation for the vast majority of TMs we train. Would have been far more useful to have examples of "kids who just got their first job and can barely find their ass with both hands" but whatever.

Back