Archived Do you really have to wait 18 months to move to another TL role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm an FATL....the red headed step child of Target...no one gives a damn about you unless there is a problem.

I'm doing an awesome job, been in role for almost a year. Awesome survey scores, great steritech and pizza hut visits and health inspections. Sales are decent but there is not a lot to improve on there, I'm rarely out of product and we all know that FA is not a money maker it is there for the guests.

I guess my question is do you really have to stay in role for 18 months before moving positions? Either laterally or promoting? There are no other openings at this point in my store but I would be open to changing stores again. I have expressed interest in moving areas and my ETL said he knew there would come a time when I was bored with FA he just didn't know when it would be.

No, but 18 is average and many leaders stick to that 18 month minimum. Some are just too good to keep in one area. It's all up to your leadership team.

I think I moved 3 times in my first 18 months of a TL.

But....you're running a green process. It's hard to move a TL who is succeeding unless there is a clear cut reason. What you can do to help facilitate that though is to put a FA TM on the bench as your potential replacement.

I moved from one to another twice. After being in role for three months. I guess it depends on leadership. I get a lot of support from mine. Gstl to Hardlines TL to Softlines TL.

@KillerTL , the last store I was at was huge on the 18 month rule. The only exception they made was during AE, when they made cuts and had to shift others around.

It definitely varies from district to district. You need to ask around to determine if your district is strict about the 18 month rule, or believes more in right person, right place, right time.

Being asked to move while still in my first year as a TL or maybe because i threw my SR. counterpart under the bus hmmm who knows??? but it can happen just take on more roles in the store like work a shift as the gstl for the day or ctl even if your store has that position.

The 18 month rule is something I've seen some stores have a hard stance on while others would bend the rule as needed. It really depends on your leadership and how willing they want to work with you. I've seen it happen a few times where a TL has been allowed to switch TL roles under 18 months but it's almost always when they get promoted to Sr TL.

My first district was very strict on the 18 month rule, while the one I'm in now doesn't really care at all

If your green they dont want to move you cause your to hard to replace. If your red they dont move you cause you cant be green. You end up being performance out. If they have area that needs new leadership you wil have new workcenter. Thats my feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back