Archived Do your TLs take breaks and lunch in team member break room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t really remember where the TLs ate at my store, but I know my APS and I would usually eat in the AP office, but we’d make a point to eat in the break room once or twice a week. Just in case someone wanted to approach up about something.

We usually only have 1 or two TLs on for closing shifts, and some eat in the break room, some at their desks. ETLs usually eat together, but again we have fewer of them closing now and they're always answering the walkie and such if called, even on break. Our breakroom tends to be pretty quiet in the evenings, in general, but I don't think anyone has issues talking in the presence of leadership or to leadership, as the case may be. *shrug*

I'd feel weird about saying TLs and ETLs shouldn't use the breakroom, but, as usual, ASANTS.

Everyone eats together at my store. The ETL offices are all messy and int he back of TSC so no one bothers to eat back there.

Our STL loves to watch football so he's always in the breakroom, he will literally tell TM's to switch to 3 and come checkout the game if he knows they like the Hawks.

Also if your TL/ETL are eating with you and not being annoying or bothering you (TURN YOUR WALKIE DOWN!) consider it a good thing.

Plenty of leaders think they are too good to eat with the team. I felt like my ETL's actually got to know us when they came into the breakroom and had personable conversations.

That said I feel like ETL HR's should stay out of the breakroom so you could b-- about work freely. I only go in to clean out food.

TMs/Leads/Leaders all eat in the same break room. One team, one dream (kek). In all seriousness, does it matter where we sit and eat? We all aren't working at that time.

Most of ours do. They aren't the ones making too much noise in the break room at our store, though. Most of us prefer the quiet so it usually isn't bad. I just try to pay attention to when the noisier people take break and go at a different time.

Didn’t use to be an issue but all the TLs have taken to having breaks and lunch in the break room. Sometimes five or six at a time talking loudly and generally disrupting the peace in there. Every time I am in there, there have been at least two leads in there. They used to eat in their offices and they even have a lunch area in the team lead office area.
A few team members have commented that they feel it is on purpose and nobody wants to be in there any more.

I’m surprised that 5-6 TLs can even take a break at the same time.

I’m surprised that 5-6 TLs can even take a break at the same time.

At my store, most of the leadership will all take their lunch at the same time, often leaving me (GSA scheduled at service desk) the only person on the floor with a supervisor #

Once upon a time the leaders ate in the breakroom like we did, but over the years as there’s been turnover they’ve all retreated to their offices. They come in to microwave stuff and that’s about it. Or wash their hands when there’s not some nasty mess in the sink. Just don’t leave leftover food unattended or some of them might ask to take it home, I’ve seen it happen.

TLs use to a lot. That’s when the store was in a good state of mind, not so often now. Once in a while I’ll eat in there. Recently the ETLs, Sr’s, TL’s and I all crash the place together and I felt the tension from TMs. My next project is a little TLC to the breakroom to try to boost a little moral.

My store's about 50/50 on this. Some of the TLs use the break room because it's easy and gets them away from their work for a bit. Others hide in the TLO for breaks because it's quieter there. Our old ETLs Food and AP used to eat in the break room, but both of their replacements stick to their offices for lunch.

Wow were all team members. As a team lead if I want to eat in the breakroom I will. It belongs to all of us. ETLs and our STL also eat in the breakroom none of us are better than anyone else.

I've seen any position in the break room at any time.

Currently: Whenever I open with a certain GSTL, we always break at the same time to hang in the break room.

A unique opportunity was during my store's remodel. At any time, all types of ETLS/STLS from different stores were hanging out in there and chatting it up. Got to know some good and bad personalities.

APTL generally has lunch in his office at his desk, STL generally eats in her office, personally I eat at Starbucks if I'm on a 15, the breakroom, or STLs office depending who's on break the same time as me. Our breakroom is really small so I only eat in there when there's a FFF event or its empty in there. Most tms Eat in the breakroom or sbux.

Over the years I’ve seen a trend where ETL’s and TL’s eat in the break room together and then a trend not to. Our current E/TL’s do. Just like TM’s who need a break E/TL’s need breaks. In the break room often TM’s want to discuss work with E/TL’s or ask them work related questions. That is why they eat away from TM’s - they are on break away from work.

Last I checked, technically there is no eating in the TL office and everyone is supposed to eat in the break room.

That said, I preferred to eat in the office to have some peace and quiet when I was a TL.

We had leaders in the past who would eat in the breakroom with us. Now they all eat in the offices. That was back when our store still had a community feel to it versus 'them against us'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back