Archived Does anybody else get stuck closing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store we have 3 electronics tms I'm one of them. I end up having to close 3 or 4 nights a week. I can only open on the weekends and they took my Sunday opening shifts away. Anybody else have this probably? What should I do? It's not fair, I went through this last year and then it was resolved but now it's back again

I closed every weekend Sat/Sun for 6 months when I was Electronics.. Of course I only worked weekends, but it would have been nice to have it switch up a bit more often :(

I close usually once a work week, but then again, closing means something completely different at the DC. :p But to digress, I used to love closing the backroom. Could get so much done with no one back there to bother me.

I used to close five nights a week. Then they decided to toss in a day shift on occasion. Then this summer I complained that with all the places I am cross trained that they couldn't find me a second day shift somewhere in the store. So now I only close three nights a week. Nothing more fun than having those TMs who only close once in a blue moon come in and talk about how they aren't used to closing, and it's so unfair, blah, blah, blah. Really?

It's stuff like this that makes it incredibly clear they aren't using myTime to do the schedule because if they were, it would be evening out the shifts for everyone.

I'm closing market the next four nights. I can't open market (no transportation that early) so I don't mind too much since the few other people on the consumables team have opening shifts.

What sucks about this is that the people who have really crappy availability get the best shifts and the people with open availability get the crappy ones. This same thing is going on in my current store.2 of the electronic team members basically have written their own schedules (open with 1 close and rotating weekends) then other person in the department has completely open availability and winds up with all of the closes. It sucks, it is in no way fair, especially since the two with the tight availability are no where near as good with service and AAR as the third team member.

What sucks about this is that the people who have really crappy availability get the best shifts and the people with open availability get the crappy ones. This same thing is going on in my current store.2 of the electronic team members basically have written their own schedules (open with 1 close and rotating weekends) then other person in the department has completely open availability and winds up with all of the closes. It sucks, it is in no way fair, especially since the two with the tight availability are no where near as good with service and AAR as the third team member.

Yep, the only way to really even it out is hire more people and take some of the shifts from people with limited availability and give them to those with more open availabilty.

I feel for the op, but if you can only open on weekends, that shouldn't mean that someone else should be required to close every single weekend to compensate for your limited availability.

We have a GSA who can only close during the week, and doesn't work Sundays, so she expects to be able to open on the Saturdays that she doesn't ask off. That would leave the rest of us to constantly close. Needless to say, she closes quite a few Saturdays.

Last edited:
I've only closed with my time at Target :( I'm not a fan of closing since we're so busy at night it's hard to finish zone and all abandons/reshop/gobacks.

I would love to close every night if possible. I like leisurely mornings. My favorite time of day is sitting on the deck in the morning drinking my coffee, listening to the birds and watch the dogs play in the yard, then putter around the yard for a few hours.. take a nap then go to work. I can't do that when I open, or I would have to wake up at 5 am, and now that winter is coming, I would be sitting outside in the cold and dark.

And I didn't say I shouldn't have to do my closing shifts either but when I do 3 or 4 a week and the others do 2 that's where I don't think it's fair. Sometimes one if them doesn't even close during the week on his night. So either myself or the other tm has to pick it up.

At my store we have 3 electronics tms I'm one of them. I end up having to close 3 or 4 nights a week. I can only open on the weekends and they took my Sunday opening shifts away. Anybody else have this probably? What should I do? It's not fair, I went through this last year and then it was resolved but now it's back again

Just read it again. I bolded it for you, buddy.

I closed for like a year straight. I asked and pleaded to get morning/afternoon shifts and they would always say they'd work on it. It wasn't until my time came around I got some afternoon shifts. I was also told my my HR team member that if I didn't want to close as much to change my availability a few days to leave a couple hours before closing. I never did because I figured I wouldn't get scheduled so I don't know if that works.

I feel your pain.

I love the weird and fucking stupid viewpoints on scheduling here. Oh, can only open on weekends? fuck, I don't know what his situation might be, this person might have medical needs that come up, maybe even, gasp, religious, FUCK UP THE REST OF HIS SCHEDULE. FUCK THIS GUY.

Or, the scheduling may be due to a confluence of complications that arise from a large and overly complicated system. Hours may be more available for closers, your team lead may actually LOVE you being the closer because you have good work ethics and doesn't realize that maybe you would like to toss things up (they have other things on their plates after all). Or, maybe, the scheduler is lazy and has you set up to drop as a closer. You won't know though! You won't, unless you ask! Sometimes there are also schedule complications where the other team members may only have availability to work mornings or afternoons (did you know that some of us have fucking obligations OUTSIDE of work and we have leaders who actually understand that and are willing to work with that and not be spiteful about it?) Maybe they also just get scheduled like that because it's just easier.

I get weekends off, plus I only work mornings. I'm not special, or in medical need. I just negotiated better than most of the people. My position also allows it more readily. You can get their too, but don't rest on those laurels because if you get that fabled position of weekends off then you have to beat off the rest of the raving horde trying to vie for it.

Not gonna lie. You sound like a Republican politican @NeoDarikona. "If you want weekends off then ask for it! I worked hard; why dont you work hard for it?"

Rude.

Yep, some of us do have things going on outside of Spot, which is why we may prefer to not close five nights a week. But we also don't want to limit our availabilty and get screwed over on the amount of hours.

For example, if I put I can't close on Tuesday to try and get out of closing so many days, I could end up with Tuesdays off as well as a different day shift on day Wednesday, when in reality all I wanted was a simple day shift once a week, not to cut my hours totally.

But instead, some people get pandered to so the rest of us who are willing and able to be a bit more flexible get the short end of the stick.

MyTime was supposed to fix this by evening out the day and evening schedules and those with limited availability would get hours within their availabilty but wouldn't be able to write their shifts like they can now. That's why when so many stores went to myTime it wanted all these TMs hired. But now it's pretty much back to normal with the same people opening and the same people closing and the same people working every weekend.

By they way, I seriously want to know what sort of medical condition warrants that someone can't close on weekends.

Last edited:
If I want hrs, I have to work when they schedule me so that means working every weekend, several nights a week, every holiday & hustle for enough hrs to keep me above the benefits benchmark.
All these kids I work with tailor their schedule by playing the 'school' card.
I've asked if anyone has ever demanded to see their roster of classes as proof but all I got was the sound of crickets.

You can have my alternating opening Sundays in Electronics. Just saying, haha. And my stupid Fridays they like to put me on, too.

OP you whine and cry about it not being fair, how is it fair to the others to have to close on the weekends because you don't want to close. You limited your availability (for whatever reason, no we don't care why) and now you have to deal with it. I loved dealing with people like you who try to spin it like you're the fucking victim.

OP you whine and cry about it not being fair, how is it fair to the others to have to close on the weekends because you don't want to close. You limited your availability (for whatever reason, no we don't care why) and now you have to deal with it. I loved dealing with people like you who try to spin it like you're the fucking victim.

Like I said before. Republican politican ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back