Does anyone else's TL's not allow them to drink soda and coffee while on the clock?

We are allowed drinks on the salesfloor. I see them on the three-tiers and fulfillment carts all the time, and I see TMs and TLs drinking on the salesfloor. Usually water bottles, but sometimes soda in to go cups or bottles, and sometimes Starbucks drinks.

We're allowed to have only water on the floor, and it has to be in a clear bottle that can be closed. However, it seems like there are always those couple of TMs that enjoy going against the rules AND get away with it. I sort of keep hoping that one TM in particular will spill her soda, which will be the end of her being *special*.

Some permit it, some don't. And it's more of an ETL/SD thing than a TL thing. TLs don't make store policy. Haven't read the official word in a while but I'm pretty sure Target only allows water in clear bottles.

I'm guessing this is an ASANTS issue that might depend on what district you are in. My old store's leadership was extremely strict about drinking (even water) on the floor/near the registers. However, I did see some team members, maybe in flex with drinks.

Last edited:
I see cashiers, SFS, and inbound drinking beverages all.the.time. Cashiers are often eating, as well.

I saw a SFS person dump his open can all over his cart, too. 🙄

I also see drinks stashed around the backroom. So long as it doesn't affect my area, IDGAF.

Official policy is clear, closed containers are allowed in non-food prep area. This is allowed per heat exhaustion/stroke prevention.

Everywhere is allowed excluding the ambient room, cafe, food avenue, deli, Starbucks and any other food prepping area.

Reasoning is due to steritech/ecolab assessments, water bottles were not allowed in food prep areas. ETLs took extra precaution to expand this storewide. A recent workbench announcement clarified clear, closed containers are allowed.

Last edited:
Since I spent a good portion of my time in the back room I didn't give a shit what the last team lead said, we did it regardless. She ass-holed herself right out of a job anyway. All other TL's and ETL's were cool. The work got done.

Back