Archived Does anyone's store ever enforce a late policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what the late policy actually is and why it isn't enforced. My roommate started working here a couple of years after I was hired. Within the last year, she has been late at least 25 times, with no reason other than she slept through her alarm. She usually blames it on her phone not working, but I hear her alarm and she shuts it off and goes back to sleep. I guess I'm surprised she hasn't been fired yet, especially after our HR told us they were going to be cracking down on the late policy.

Now, before anyone asks why I never wake her up for work, I used to. But one day I overslept by 15 minutes and was rushing out the door to get to work on time (which I did) and didn't think to check on her. Heard from a mutual friend that she blamed me for her being late because I didn't wake her up. I stopped after that.

She told me she got a talking to once and she gave them a sob story about how much she works. She only works here two, maybe three days a week with 4-5 hour shifts. Aside from this, she also peddles products from one of the various pyramid scheme companies, I won't say which one, but that's basically commission-based and not much time spent.

She may be a friend of mine, but if I were her boss, I would have fired her some time ago.

There's really no official late policy except that Target expects you to work the full duration of all your scheduled shifts. At my store, my ETL-HR tries to run things on the policy that two attendance issues (call out, late in, early out) in two weeks will get you a coaching. I think that's reasonable, but frustratingly not all workcenters (sometimes not even all TLs in a single workcenter) are consistent about this.

It depends on your store. ASANTS. Also her workcenter. Call outs are more of an issue at my store.

We have three SLTMs and a BRTM who all live together. One SLTM has been with Spot for 3 years, the couple (the SLTM and BRTM) for 1 and 1.5 years, and the other for four months. They invited me to be a part of their weird sorority house situation, but I declined. Anyway, they carpool and swap shifts and stuff but I would rather not live with co workers. I don't know how they do it without going crazy.

It depends on your store. ASANTS. Also her workcenter. Call outs are more of an issue at my store.

She's on flow team. I do both flow and instocks, so I go in the same time she does on truck days. We do have a problem with people calling out, but she doesn't do that often. She's just constantly late.

I once had a cashier show up thirty minutes late and I let it slide until we needed carts, and had him clear the lot without calling for backup. Then I had everyone on walkie say "thanks for being late, [cashier]"

Probably the most dastardly I've been as GSA.

EDIT: Also, no, it doesn't seem like anyone gets in trouble for being late. I don't bother laboring the point because I've given up hope. A lot of these latecomers are cashiers who've been here for 20 years and are just slow and habitually five minutes behind and if HR or the TLs or the LODs can't/won't do anything, then whatever.

Last edited:
My store only enforces anything when they don't like the person. My lateness isn't as bad as your roommate's, but between the bus's inconsistency and the couple times I read the wrong work schedule, honestly I should've been talked to about the last couple weeks, but nothing. I'm not complaining that nothing happened, of course, but I was surprised by it a little.

I need a car.....

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a tm who consistently no call no shows... Like four times in the last two months, and all is forgiven because she's half way decent at her job. She only works weekends... And yet she's unable to come in or even call out. It's insane too me. I called out once and everyone expected me to be half dead when I came in the next day because I never called out. Kept asking me if I went to the doctors and what's wrong with me... It's insane.

Generally people don't make a habit of being late so I've never heard of any repercussions besides them bringing it up on their annual.

We have another TM who has been late quite a few times, but she is a good worker and sometimes does have legit excuses for running behind (such as car trouble) so they don't do anything other than give her a talking to once in a while. My roommate, however, isn't really. She's rather slow, even though she thinks she works quickly. Last time she was late, she didn't even try to hurry up to get there quickly. She just moseyed through the apartment, taking her time getting ready like she had all the time in the world to get there. Sometimes, I really wish I could tell all of this stuff to my superiors.

If they like you, they'll look the other way until other tms complain. If they dislike you, they'll find a reason to get of you.

Call offs are huge at my store. Late isn't much of a problem.

I once had a cashier show up thirty minutes late and I let it slide until we needed carts, and had him clear the lot without calling for backup. Then I had everyone on walkie say "thanks for being late, [cashier]"

Probably the most dastardly I've been as GSA.

EDIT: Also, no, it doesn't seem like anyone gets in trouble for being late. I don't bother laboring the point because I've given up hope. A lot of these latecomers are cashiers who've been here for 20 years and are just slow and habitually five minutes behind and if HR or the TLs or the LODs can't/won't do anything, then whatever.
Why tho? They were late who cares that much?

Not to toot my own horn, but I know I am an absolute asset to my store. And because of that, every call out is a coaching and a threat that I will be fired "at some point". I clocked in one minute late the other day (my first ever)...I'm still waiting for a coaching on that.

I've never been late to work. Being late to anything makes me pretty angry in everyday life.

I can understand it happening to someone on occasion, but making it a habit is ridiculous.. Not fair to the people that make the effort to be punctual and work when scheduled

Nope. There are some people who show up 5-10 minutes late every single shift and nothing is ever said to them. There are some people who call out like once a week and nothing is done there either. I swear it would take you physically assaulting an ETL to get canned at my store lol

Only if they start noticing. The best is when the store is understaffed and ETLs are completely aware people aren't there. For sure, certain areas and times are more obvious. If that TM normally works midshift, LODs almost never notices.

My flow team doesn't get away with it though. Most of my team comes in at the same time as I do. We have a pre-printed template ready to be written and filed for any late, absences, and NCNS. I've had at least 5 TMs termed/quit for those reasons in the last month. Sometimes enough is enough..

Not to toot my own horn, but I know I am an absolute asset to my store. And because of that, every call out is a coaching and a threat that I will be fired "at some point". I clocked in one minute late the other day (my first ever)...I'm still waiting for a coaching on that.

While stores have different policies technically you only show up on the "late in"report if you are 6 or more minutes late. Otherwise mytime gives you grace.

My new ETL-GE said attendance is her biggest pet peeve and she's shown it. If you fall in it's an automatic coaching, no questions asked, sorry you had homework but you know the expectations. If you're in your 90 days you have 2 times to call in and your termed, 1 time to NCNS and you can either come in and be termed or just not come back. I like the way she does things because she holds the TLs accountable as much as she hold TMs when at one time that wasn't the case...which is why we're having culture issues right now.

My new ETL-GE said attendance is her biggest pet peeve and she's shown it. If you fall in it's an automatic coaching, no questions asked, sorry you had homework but you know the expectations. If you're in your 90 days you have 2 times to call in and your termed, 1 time to NCNS and you can either come in and be termed or just not come back. I like the way she does things because she holds the TLs accountable as much as she hold TMs when at one time that wasn't the case...which is why we're having culture issues right now.
This is exactly how it should be done. You've got a good ETL.

We have a tm who consistently no call no shows... Like four times in the last two months, and all is forgiven because she's half way decent at her job. She only works weekends... And yet she's unable to come in or even call out. It's insane too me. I called out once and everyone expected me to be half dead when I came in the next day because I never called out. Kept asking me if I went to the doctors and what's wrong with me... It's insane.
They'd be gone in my store NCNS is an instant coaching it would have been elevated enough times to be a term. lateness is much harder at my store basically callouts and being late is only done every 2 week period and you need several coachings till the first CCA after that CCA though it would lead to a term in about a month if the lateness doesn't change. But you build up to that first CCA it would take like 2 months and they could be late every single day during that period. TMs under 90 days it can go quicker but lateness isn't nearly as addresses as ncns or callouts in my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back