Does Target pay unemployment?

Is it true Target has never paid unemployment to any of their ex employees? I just found out I was termed- I’m on a LOA and didn’t know, my manager did not call me to tell me; but I found out thru another manager who saw my name on the list. I said I would apply for unemployment and he said Target has never paid a claim. Like ever. Hard to believe this. (I work for corporate- Target.com in Tempe Az)

Is it true Target has never paid unemployment to any of their ex employees? I just found out I was termed- I’m on a LOA and didn’t know, my manager did not call me to tell me; but I found out thru another manager who saw my name on the list. I said I would apply for unemployment and he said Target has never paid a claim. Like ever. Hard to believe this. (I work for corporate- Target.com in Tempe Az)
Ask your hr for details. You would of gotten a letter from spot.

Hello , from the other side…

For starters, I wouldn’t trust hearsay, that list could’ve been something different than what the person thought or could include people on LOA for some reason.
That being said, I know a decent number of people who have collected unemployment. Even I have, however it wasn’t for being termed, but for them not having enough work and letting people leave early/take unpaid days off.
Unemployment laws vary from state to state, so if you truly are termed, it’s going to depend on state laws and the reason as to whether or not you qualify.

Target doesn’t pay unemployment, their unemployment insurance does. So technically right without being actually right. Unemployment is paid out by your state, which is funded by companies.

Without knowing why you were let go, or your state, it’s difficult to know if you will be eligible for unemployment. In my state you would not be eligible as you were unable to work anyways.

File for unemployment, if Spot put a reason that makes you ineligible challenge it.
There will be a phone hearing on the subject.
As long as you show up for it, odds are Spot won't show up to counter (it's just not worth it to them) and you will get your unemployment.
Just be ready to explain why their reason is wrong and have some proof to back it up.
That's what I did and it worked fine.

I worked at a company for five years then got fired for a vague reason.

I filed for unemployment, got denied, asked for a hearing before a judge and got denied again.

I then bypassed that judge and had two other judges review it.

It got approved AFTER TEN MONTHS but I got that back unemployment.

Companies don't want to pay your unemployment so try make it a hassle and hope you give up.

You have nothing to loose as Commievirus mentioned so keep trying!

Last edited:
Most corporations make sure to have enough documentation that you got yourself fired on you're own. You can file for it but most likely you will lose.

I actually received unemployment after I put in my two weeks, although I was actually terminated after I put in my notice. My ETL-HR actually gave me a form and encouraged me to file for unemployment, which I guess is odd since I thought that Target doesn't want to "pay" unemployment. I'm not sure why I was pushed to file for unemployment since I believed that companies don't want to pay unemployment, but I got it, so I guess it's a case-by-case issue.

I actually received unemployment after I put in my two weeks, although I was actually terminated after I put in my notice.

This is Target's funny way of thinking they are saving hours by letting you go before your two weeks were up.

In my store they save hours by having the cart attendants leave early.

Yet the Closing TL has to go it get carts whom you pay more.

Penny Wise and Pound Foolish

I actually received unemployment after I put in my two weeks, although I was actually terminated after I put in my notice.

This is Target's funny way of thinking they are saving hours by letting you go before your two weeks were up.

In my store they save hours by having the cart attendants leave early.

Yet the Closing TL has to go it get carts whom you pay more.

Penny Wise and Pound Foolish

The Closing TL is already there. The company is paying them regardless of what they are doing, so having the cart attendant leave early is saving them money.

Back