Archived Does Target really hate overtime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am working mornings I can usually leave right on time or maybe 5-10 minutes later, but if I am closing I usually stay 15 minutes past schedule. I hit overtime last week but ETL HR said it was okay. My question is will it always be okay? Or will I eventually get in trouble for working overtime?

How about during the holiday season? Is overtime okay then like it most retail stores?

you know, I see that happen often. No one seems to mind.

but I did get in trouble quite a few years ago - someone decided to be a pain in the a** just one particular week in time.

We're extremely tight on people at the moment, and are running at bare minimum number of people. Several of us had O/T during July, but I stopped because it was wearing me out.

I had a few 41-43 hour weeks back in July and nothing was said to me. Overtime isn't a big deal at our store, unless its every week.

My store is dishing out OT to flow like it was candy. Several team members are approaching the 15-20 hour range, yet they want to cut dayside hours. It has been this way for almost three weeks.

It depends on the staffing situation of your store.
If things are balanced and the E's are working to keep things green, OT is a major no-go.
If every crew is shorthanded and all your numbers are running red, than OT becomes OK.

I agree,we are generally just over the line for green with payroll and overtime is a major no no,I have seem tms spoken to for being 5 mins over,in the nearby stores which are generally deep red ot is never an issue.

from what I remember and keep in mind this was 2009/2010 at target, at least my store had no issues with overtime. I was never talken too and I almost closed each night and stayed till 10:15 getting the last remaining carts in, taking hangers to the back and stocking bags., sometimes 10:30/11pm just to work the go backs.

Walmart on the other hand is very strict about overtime, and you could even get writen up. It must be approved by the co manager (guy who is one step bellow the store mananger) You have to cut like crazy to be under 40. Last week I had to leave eary friday moring at 6:01 and come in to work saturday at midnight (my normal shift is 10pm-7am)

There are so many factors to determine OT approval. As far as big pictures go, yes, Target as a corporation hates it.

At my store, OT is a no no. If it happens and less than .5 hours, they might just mention not to let it happen again. I haven't heard of anyone with over .9 in a while.

All of which is inconsistent with what happens at the DC. My cousin works at a DC near my store. They can have all the OT they want. It really pushes my buttons to hear him talk about working 60 to 70 hours a week.

Why the inconsistency? And it isn't a short term thing like they can't find enough workers. He has worked there as long as I have worked at the store level, 8 years. It has been a consistent SOP for that entire time.

Can anyone explain that?

At my store, OT is a no no. If it happens and less than .5 hours, they might just mention not to let it happen again. I haven't heard of anyone with over .9 in a while.

All of which is inconsistent with what happens at the DC. My cousin works at a DC near my store. They can have all the OT they want. It really pushes my buttons to hear him talk about working 60 to 70 hours a week.

Why the inconsistency? And it isn't a short term thing like they can't find enough workers. He has worked there as long as I have worked at the store level, 8 years. It has been a consistent SOP for that entire time.

Can anyone explain that?

Because any sort of seize up in the production line from DC to Guest is very bad, and with DC workers being the very backbone of sales the company can't take the risk of losing productivity because people capped out in hours. Hours must be spent to get the products to the store. Hours at the store level are another story.

You and I are workers in the far end of the spectrum, we work in an environment that is for all intents and purposes a self-serve retail. The two most crucial jobs in the entire store that have to be fulfilled no matter what is flow and cashiering. One brings product to the floor and the other takes the money to let the product flow out of the store. The people are mutable and can switch in and out as far as who does what so hours can fluctuation so drastically. Target can control hours and OT on this stage much more easily.

Last edited:
At my store you get written up if you go into overtime. I've had it happen twice, I was never written up but I was warned. Overtime is a huge deal. It sucks when I'm Guest Service and they schedule me to be done right when we close at 10. Uh, excuse me, how am I to take the Salvage, CRC's, Food Bank, and other crap to the backroom at the end of the night and be punched out by 10? I just have to extend my lunch sometimes to combat that problem.

A definite no-no at the store level. One time I was asked to stay on a Saturday and forgot I'd hit OT and had like 41.2 hours or something...they never caught it. I never showed up on the projected OT report because it happened on a Saturday and I was asked to stay. So since they never had a chance to see it, they couldn't call me on it. Only if a TL or ETL viewed my timesheet would they ever have noticed. Well, aside from HR when they run payroll, they would have known. But I work back there so ;)

A definite no-no at the store level. One time I was asked to stay on a Saturday and forgot I'd hit OT and had like 41.2 hours or something...they never caught it. I never showed up on the projected OT report because it happened on a Saturday and I was asked to stay. So since they never had a chance to see it, they couldn't call me on it. Only if a TL or ETL viewed my timesheet would they ever have noticed. Well, aside from HR when they run payroll, they would have known. But I work back there so ;)
lucky you!

On my end - if something needs to be done - eather real early or late my boss has no problem with it --

But if its more than 3 or 4 hours -- I get the old --- "Ya-know Herman ( Friday's I'm Herman ) - corporate is stingy with O / T" -- "So call in an out-side vendor - Spot can afford it" ---- "Well If you do it for ( I love this ) US -- I can let you leave early on Friday or spread out the extra hours - over the next week" ---- "Well OK"

All I care about ------- I get to go to the beach on friday -- and see the babes ----- but its more like the senior citizen's center on applesauce friday ---

On my end - if something needs to be done - eather real early or late my boss has no problem with it --

But if its more than 3 or 4 hours -- I get the old --- "Ya-know Herman ( Friday's I'm Herman ) - corporate is stingy with O / T" -- "So call in an out-side vendor - Spot can afford it" ---- "Well If you do it for ( I love this ) US -- I can let you leave early on Friday or spread out the extra hours - over the next week" ---- "Well OK"

All I care about ------- I get to go to the beach on friday -- and see the babes ----- but its more like the senior citizen's center on applesauce friday ---

Depending on the circumstances our district doesn't seem to have a problem giving the SFT overtime. One time we had a natural disaster (I will not specify in case I might be noticed) and they were totally fine letting the SFT work whatever hours.

Depending on the circumstances our district doesn't seem to have a problem giving the SFT overtime. One time we had a natural disaster (I will not specify in case I might be noticed) and they were totally fine letting the SFT work whatever hours.

Oh -yea -- stuff like that is not a problem -- he can justify the hours up his ladder --

Generally anything past 3 hours --- he wants to do a "Monty Hall" --

It's really thankless being the SFT, so I definitely feel for you. I know at our store the SFT is made to be the whipping boy, all the while being made to go to other stores to help, then going back to our store to be given a laundry list of things to do. I always try to lend some words of encouragement for him because I don't think it's fair. But you know Target can be unfair sometimes. So is retail.

Yep - it sucks --- but - ya-know what - its the same for building maintenance in any business - Target ain't the greatest --- but there's much worst out there ---

[cough] Walmart [cough]

In the local Wally-World near me - their building maintenance guy -- is a very cute - short haired - few tattoo's - 5' / 3" woman
e8712c9f.gif

I introduced myself and told her what I try to do for Spot - over the last few years I've spoken to her quite a few times - she even knows my name
coolgleamA.gif

For a mid 30 year old - shes pretty good at her job - we exchange mechanical info and job related stuff. Every gripe I have with Spot - she has the equivalent with Wally -- its kinda funny how close the annoying facts are
toetap05.gif

I even told her about this place - I'll have to ask her if shes lurking here ?

I would even ask her out - but I don't think her partner would care for it -- and I old enough to be her really - really older brother
rolleyes5.gif

Now back to our thread
rofl.gif

PS --- she never gets over time
rolleyes5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back