Archived Does the Target 'Walk of Shame' actually exist? Many say YES,

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what age did we all learn that 2 wrongs to not make a right. The escapade will likely not dissuade others from stealing.

Here's my take: if you're gonna call putting someone in handcuffs and walking them out awful, then we need to revisit our entire arresting system in the US. Police put handcuffs on people inside their homes and walk them out into the street. If someone is being arrested/charged, wouldn't it be the same thing? Put them in handcuffs the moment they've been notified and walk them out.

Here's my take: if you're gonna call putting someone in handcuffs and walking them out awful, then we need to revisit our entire arresting system in the US. Police put handcuffs on people inside their homes and walk them out into the street. If someone is being arrested/charged, wouldn't it be the same thing? Put them in handcuffs the moment they've been notified and walk them out.
The problem is that Target seems to do it to SCARE other team members from stealing just to show them what will happen and in the process embarass the team member profusely. The cops are used to coming in for shoplifters and I have no doubt they park near the entrance where the AP office is to arrest a guest shoplifter yet when a TM does it they will most likely park right outside near the areas where the TM's hang out the most just like what happened at my store and walk the team member through there so everyone can watch regardless if they are innocent/retaliated/or whatever but why not just make a video of what could happen if a team member stole? Target LOVES making those videos to scare team members anyway. What they are doing is just another form of bullying and mean.

Last edited:
It's a form of sending a message I guess. I neither agree nor disagree, however if people who were thinking of stealing see a thief being walked out in cuffs they may be less likely to steal.

Again...the police are doing the walk of the shame not AP!!! The police can make there own chocies. walking from the AP office pass the front check lanes isn't a walk of shame...your going from point A to point B. But if the police are taking the subject from the AP office around the whole race track of the store....than that isn't right.

over the summer I remember a TM got caught stealing Ipods and Ipads, and food. The thief would advertise on Facebook they have a connection for Ipods and Ipads with good discounts if the people wanted to get set up with a good deal. When I was on break the door for the AP was open and they guy came out in handcuffs just shaking his head like he could not believe he was caught.

Definitely happens and it absolutely depends on the store and the ETL. One of my old etl-aps made sure it happened to every internal that was arrestable, my current etl has not done a single one. It can also depend on the layout of the store, usually if arrested they'll get taken out the tsc door, but not all stores have a tsc door that's conveniently accessible from the front lot.
Forgot to add, yes it is NEVER ap that does the walk, always PD.

Saw it a few times long time ago by a couple of over the top AP ETLs but, have not heard of it happening in a long time. Clearly not a corporate policy but, store level action.

If you are a TM and you are going to steal from Target do NOT advertise it on social media! It is often their own arrogance that ends up being their downfall!

AP office at the store I worked at was less than 50 feet from the front door, and along the same wall. Serious AP activities always happened in the AP office. So if there were to be any handcuff parading at our store, it'd be blantantly obvious.

I read in one article something about ap office in the back of the store?

I've never seen that.

A lot of the older stores have AP in the back. There's a store in my district that has 2 ap offices.

If I were fired for something I did not do I would be demanding they check the security tapes!
There were no cameras pointed directly at the area when the money was stolen and cashiers were responsible for their own tills. The thought was you check it out when you come in, secure it on a register when working, lock it in a drawer with a key when on break, and turn it back in when finished.

Again...the police are doing the walk of the shame not AP!!! The police can make there own chocies. walking from the AP office pass the front check lanes isn't a walk of shame...your going from point A to point B. But if the police are taking the subject from the AP office around the whole race track of the store....than that isn't right.
Yep! that's what happened at my store with a lot of entrances the TM was walked all over to the front and past a lot of team members before getting into the cop car with the ETL beside the TM. Now I worked at another place before and when apprehending shoplifters which were usually guests (they just fired employees who stole) they'd be sure the cop car was parked a few feet away from their office at the closest entrance. Why the difference??

Last edited:
Yep! that's what happened at my store with a lot of entrances the TM was walked all over to the front and past a lot of team members before getting into the cop car with the ETL beside the TM. Now I worked at another place before and when apprehending shoplifters which were usually guests (they just fired employees who stole) they'd be sure the cop car was parked a few feet away from their office at the closest entrance. Why the difference??
There's nothing illgeal about the walk of shame...it's just ethically wrong.

This doesn't happen at my store. They always keep the internal arrests quiet. Most team members don't even know anything is happening. Guests that are thieves, however...are made an example of.

All of the ETL's on the clock that day cheered and literally jumped up and down when the walk of shame happened at my store awhile back. It was disgusting.

This happened last year to a cashier who had worked with us for only 2-3 months.

While I'm iffy about the practice itself, it's really hard to feel sorry for said cashier. Especially since, if the accusations are true, they stole up towards $1,000 directly from the registers.

While I don't have a problem with the unwritten "policy" itself, if you're not even going to charge someone with anything this clearly isn't necessary. So if someone is stealing from the registers or making giftcards for themselves using coupons (or stealing guest's buy X get $Y giftcards), then I don't care if the police arrest them in the middle of ringing out a guest and walk them around the racetrack and through the backroom. But if it's for a simple workplace dispute that doesn't involve violence, just fire them and get over it. No need to make it a spectacle.

While I don't have a problem with the unwritten "policy" itself, if you're not even going to charge someone with anything this clearly isn't necessary. So if someone is stealing from the registers or making giftcards for themselves using coupons (or stealing guest's buy X get $Y giftcards), then I don't care if the police arrest them in the middle of ringing out a guest and walk them around the racetrack and through the backroom. But if it's for a simple workplace dispute that doesn't involve violence, just fire them and get over it. No need to make it a spectacle.

The thing is, regardless of whether the person is guilty of a crime while performing their duties at Target, it's petty. It should be beneath any leadership to participate or condone that type of behavior. The point of an internal investigation isn't to shame the person, or pin a scarlet letter on their lapel, it's to terminate their employment and get them out of there to prevent further losses. The sideshow isn't needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back