Archived Does you BRTM's have to follow dress code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store is pretty good about staying brand. During the holidays we did the grey-shirt for FF routine, which worked out great when we were spending 80% of our shift on the sales floor.

Some days, someone is still being scheduled for logistics zone/logistics training, so that person is our designated FF guy. Because we're only pulling 10-15 FF a day now (as opposed to 75+), the grey shirts aren't necessary anymore. I believe we can still wear them if we choose to do so. I won't complain about the extra hours/help for the back room. At least 70% of our BR team is in their first 90 days.

Also, HR didn't want the unloaders wearing wife-beaters and shorts in the summer. I told her that unless a member of the flow/BR team complains or we get AC in the truck, they can wear them. Those trucks are HOT. Who wants to sweat their ass off and wear a wet shirt all night? I never understood why dress code mattered for ON TMs. As long as they were clocked out before the store opened it shouldn't matter - red and jeans/ red shirt and different color hoodie/ wife-beater in truck I didn't bother the TMs with that.

Target claims to not have a "uniform" but if standards are expected they should at least provide a red shirt or two, maybe even a pair of khakis. Cheap company!

I've always worn a red Target shirt, black jeans, and a beanie in the back. I go out and interact with the guests constantly when I have to make my way from the main stockroom to the other side of the store for a flexible fulfillment too. I don't see why anyone should honestly care if the guests easily recognize me and I help out more on the floor in that small amount of time than a good deal of hardlines TM's.

our backroom Forman (I think that is his title) always wears whatever shirt he wants with his khaki pants but he wears a red vest and he even wears a cap. I do not know how he gets away with the cap. oh well..

wife-beaters and shorts in the summer.
I'm glad my store isn't like that, I always wear either a wife-beater or a black t during the unload. It's hot, dirty and everything, Expecting up to work on the floor wearing a soaked red t it stupid and makes the store look bad
I got brand new khaki cargo pants. I wear them and my permanently stained and ripped red t shirt. I wear my name tag and a PDA holster. In my opinion all backroom team members should have to wear a PDA holster.
no. those holsters are tacky and a piece of shit.

our backroom Forman (I think that is his title) always wears whatever shirt he wants with his khaki pants but he wears a red vest and he even wears a cap. I do not know how he gets away with the cap. oh well..
I let my TMs wear hats too - actually they wore hats long before I showed up so really I just didn't say anything because it didn't bother me. Surprisingly most wore red hats, but some wore sports team hats.

My first backroom Forman (TL) always wore the nicest clothes. I knew he didn't do much because as a BR TL he never got dirty. I think I got dirty by just walking in the dusty backroom.

Bingo. I wore one for maybe my first week or two. Nowadays I either tuck it in my belt or just set it down somewhere that nobody else will walk off with it. I don't see anyone using them anymore.

I got brand new khaki cargo pants. I wear them and my permanently stained and ripped red t shirt. I wear my name tag and a PDA holster. In my opinion all backroom team members should have to wear a PDA holster.

That may be true but they are very helpful for when you need to climb a ladder. Its awkward to hold onto it while climbing up and then a waste of time to set it down and come back for it when pulling a large box. If you don't like the strap, just loop the holster through your belt.

Only ever seen 1 TM at my store tuck the PDA into the back of her belt...I tried it once and it kept falling out.

That may be true but they are very helpful for when you need to climb a ladder. Its awkward to hold onto it while climbing up and then a waste of time to set it down and come back for it when pulling a large box. If you don't like the strap, just loop the holster through your belt.

Only ever seen 1 TM at my store tuck the PDA into the back of her belt...I tried it once and it kept falling out.
I've seen an LOD tuck his down the back of his pants when he can't find an LPDA/holster.

On a side note, those LPDA holsters are great for the new iPods, you can put them in the wrong way (so the speakers are facing up) and thus will have a better chance of hearing alerts. LPDAs are still better for most stuff though.

Most of the BRTMs in my store are beasts and will just power up the ladder with a pda and big box in one hand, me included. I find it easier that holstering/unholstering a pda on the ladder.

Most of the BRTMs in my store are beasts and will just power up the ladder with a pda and big box in one hand, me included. I find it easier that holstering/unholstering a pda on the ladder.

Mine too, some just stick the PDA on top of the box itself. Many a PDA at my store has been dropped from ~15 feet high, I'm surprised the darn things still work.

Mine too, some just stick the PDA on top of the box itself. Many a PDA at my store has been dropped from ~15 feet high, I'm surprised the darn things still work.
They are made for industrial use, now about those iPods being used for backroom functions...you'll have a lot of broken ones if they don't make a special backroom edition case with an external keyboard, handle with trigger to scan things, and about 1 inch of rubber protecting every part of the iPod.

I feel empty without my holster. It helps when you are climbing up a ladder or carrying something heavy. You're more likely to lose or misplace your PDA when you don't have a holster.

I feel empty without my holster. It helps when you are climbing up a ladder or carrying something heavy. You're more likely to lose or misplace your PDA when you don't have a holster.

Not only can I not carry as much when I don't use a holster, I always set the damn thing down and walk around for 2 minutes trying to remember where I put it.

Or a team member or ETL sees a PDA and walks away with.

This. I use a holster for almost EVERYTHING I use (Walkie, myDevice, photo lab phone, keys, pens (especially pens), box cutters) because I know that if I leave it unattended for more than 30 seconds someone is going to make off with it and I won't get it back. I usually need 2 myDevice holsters and a walkie holster, I look like I'm some type of manager (even though the managers usually have less holsters/equipment than I), but I know where everything I need is.

I haate holsters. I always tuck my stuff into my cart somewhere and sometimes I clip things on the cart.. The metal grate part that a kids back would be on when they sit in it. I use the iPod holsters sometimes because on most of my pants, the iPod isnt heavy enough to stretch them too much. The problem is when I struggle to get the iPod out, it always pulls the whole holster off. I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with things. Couple days ago, I left the iPod on a bra table for 25 minutes or so. I remembered where I left it and no one took it, so I guess I'm lucky.

On the br dress code topic, they wear red and khaki in my store, but a couple of them will wear a black hoodie over their red when they're in the back because it's so cold back there. And then there's a couple people who I guess are ff and they wear grey shirts.

The tenured backroom team members use the holsters. I guess I'm an "old one" now. The younger backroom team members or the ones that haven't been there that long don't wear holsters. The main reason why I use the PDA holster is so I don't lose my PDA. If I have the holster, my PDA will probably be in the holster.

Veteran BR TM here. We all wear red and khaki, but we're allowed to wear jeans or shorts before the store opens. I often come straight from my other job to my 4AM backroom shift, so it's very convenient to just throw on a red shirt and then change into my khakis during our first 15 minute break.

Regarding the PDA holsters: they SUCK. When they design a holster that holds a PDA without swinging around with the handle sticking straight out (and one that fits people with less than a 40" waist) - I'll wear it. I have a 32" waist and even with it adjusted as tight as it will go, I look like Han Solo wearing a blaster, LOL. Most of us walk very fast during our entire shift to get everything done, and when we have to purposely walk slower to minimize PDA swing, we're not working very efficiently. Not to mention the fact that you need 2 hands to draw without having to readjust.

Our old DTL used to nitpick about the holsters and I challenged him on it. I asked him if he was more concerned with TM safety or protecting the equipment. After the second or third time my holster caused my PDA handle to get stuck in the ladder I said "F This." After I explained to him how dangerous I thought they were, he let it go. Now we all tuck the handle into our belts (I even wear an elastic belt now specifically for this purpose.)

Over the years I've considered making my own holster. I am a firearm enthusiast, and I often wish I could carry my PDA as comfortably as my .40 Sig Sauer. I never did get around to it, and I guess it's rather pointless now. I start my PMT training next week.

Last edited:
I hate the holsters. Old style or newer. Being a bigger person the belt on the old ones never fit and the new one the snaps always come undone. Unless I can clip it on my belt it's useless. If I have to grab a regular pda I tuck it in my belt.

Regarding the PDA holsters: they SUCK. When they design a holster that holds a PDA without swinging around with the handle sticking straight out (and one that fits people with less than a 40" waist) - I'll wear it. I have a 32" waist and even with it adjusted as tight as it will go, I look like Han Solo wearing a blaster, LOL. Most of us walk very fast during our entire shift to get everything done, and when we have to purposely walk slower to minimize PDA swing, we're not working very efficiently. Not to mention the fact that you need 2 hands to draw without having to readjust.

I hate the holsters. Old style or newer. Being a bigger person the belt on the old ones never fit and the new one the snaps always come undone. Unless I can clip it on my belt it's useless. If I have to grab a regular pda I tuck it in my belt.

That's why it's better to just loop it through your belt instead of using the ridiculous clip-on strap thing.

And as far as awkward removal...just keep it holstered on your left side with the handle pointed forwards and the scanner pointed up. Grab it with your right hand and you can start scanning right away with no grip adjustment needed.

That's why it's better to just loop it through your belt instead of using the ridiculous clip-on strap thing.

And as far as awkward removal...just keep it holstered on your left side with the handle pointed forwards and the scanner pointed up. Grab it with your right hand and you can start scanning right away with no grip adjustment needed.
I would, but boobs.

BRTMs at my store tend to just drop the boxes down to another BRTM at the foot of the ladder. Typically happens with massive diaper pulls

Some people at my store and I'm not saying what department they work in but I'm just saying some people who are totally not me have also been known to just drop the product down from halfway up the ladder depending on what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back