Archived Does your CTl close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our new CTL just came on after not having one for a month of so. I noticed that they havent scheduled themselves to close and I was wondering if your CTL closes. I am going to suggest they close at least once a week for a few weeks to actually know WTF is going on during a typical closing shift for market since they havent worked pfresh or market at all before this.

Im tired of having to zone all of dry market on top of everything else pfresh related PLUS not even getting til closing to do it till and leaving an hour before closing. One particular ETL tries to force us to do market reshop and zone all of paper too since it is G block with the rest of grocery.

The CTL (lonewolf) at my store closes 1 night a week, some Fridays, and rotates weekend closes I think. We're on opposite rotations so I'm not 100% sure on the weekends.

So our new CTL just came on after not having one for a month of so. I noticed that they havent scheduled themselves to close and I was wondering if your CTL closes. I am going to suggest they close at least once a week for a few weeks to actually know WTF is going on during a typical closing shift for market since they havent worked pfresh or market at all before this.

Im tired of having to zone all of dry market on top of everything else pfresh related PLUS not even getting til closing to do it till and leaving an hour before closing. One particular ETL tries to force us to do market reshop and zone all of paper too since it is G block with the rest of grocery.

I only really zone to pog in the refrigerated areas/pfresh. I'm not responsible for dry market. So on my one closing shift a week, I hit the heavy areas of dry immediately after cull/qmos. Usually the cereal, pasta, candy and water/juice wall. I just face zone those areas, pull 2-3 items up.

Then I don't touch dry market again rest of night until after my entire pfresh / freezer is zoned. I got short end of stick on paper. I just face those 4 aisles -- flow is gonna push it to cap next day anyway.

I used to fully zone all 45 aisles of G -- but it's a waste of my time that I could use doing other pfresh routines.

Also, I grab the market abandons at very beginning of shift and push them. Then when coming back from breaks, I'll take new abandons if any. I just did this the other night -- I literally had an extra hour to kill doing my routines. After getting some sweeping/mopping of coolers done, store was about to close and I radio to LOD that market was zoned and I'm clocking out.

Next day, I get comments on how "well zoned" market was on my close.

I didn't even touch 2/3 of dry. Only zoned the heaviest 1/3.

My job is perishables -- as in responsible for **** that dies or goes bad quickly. It is not "market TM" nor is it "sales floor TM"

Sorry LOD, my routines take priority over your zone.

Sorry. Forgot to answer your question. My CTL is a SrTL -- schedule is alternating weekends off, fixed week day off. It's been consistent for the last 6 months, I don't even bother looking at schedule anymore.

If I remember correctly, Best Practice for CTL scheduling includes a closing shift from time to time.

Approach CTL about it and mention Best Practices. If no resolution, then escalate to your ETL, then STL respectively.

It takes awhile for new TLs to get used to leadership roles/get caught up on best practices.

I only really zone to pog in the refrigerated areas/pfresh. I'm not responsible for dry market. So on my one closing shift a week, I hit the heavy areas of dry immediately after cull/qmos. Usually the cereal, pasta, candy and water/juice wall. I just face zone those areas, pull 2-3 items up.

Then I don't touch dry market again rest of night until after my entire pfresh / freezer is zoned. I got short end of stick on paper. I just face those 4 aisles -- flow is gonna push it to cap next day anyway.

I used to fully zone all 45 aisles of G -- but it's a waste of my time that I could use doing other pfresh routines.

Wish I could tell my leadership that haha. Our CTL is in charge of pfresh and dry market, all 40+ aisles of it. We are only allocated 90 hours or so for pfresh/market a week. So my CTL takes 40 of it and then 50 of it have to be divided between 2 PAs. We have no overlap and the closer usually comes in at 2:30 and works til 9. If dry market doesnt get zoned or doesnt get finished the LOD usually throws a hissy fit about it not being done and lectures us about it, like we just have all the time in the world to take care of everything for pfresh and zone all of dry by 9. Also when I come in to close none of the daily cleaning tasks are ever done so theres that typically to do as well.

Tonight I came in and the banana pallet from C+S hadnt been broken down, ham was on TPC since it was expiring tommorow but none of the labels were changed, and the turkey we were trying to sell that we had extra of in our bunker not only had the wrong tpc price that corporate specifically told us about on a message board, but they had meat coupons on them, and the label didnt even match the TPC, sigh. OH and it was supposed to have something else set in there ANYWAY that I told them on tuesday to do =(. The bakery table was also half empty and im sure most of the product had locations since it never pulls and we have to manually pull it 75% of the time. Its nights like these I wish I didnt have to zone dry.

I feel like I am really the only one who ever notices all the small stuff and nobody even gives a ****. Somehow we were number 1 YTD for our pfresh score yet I constantly find things that have been done wrong or not done at all. Ill just not say much more but ya im about at a point where I just want to leave, especially if I am only going to be getting 30 hours MAX, if that, a week now.

Last edited:
Sorry. Forgot to answer your question. My CTL is a SrTL -- schedule is alternating weekends off, fixed week day off. It's been consistent for the last 6 months, I don't even bother looking at schedule anymore.

If I remember correctly, Best Practice for CTL scheduling includes a closing shift from time to time.

Approach CTL about it and mention Best Practices. If no resolution, then escalate to your ETL, then STL respectively.

It takes awhile for new TLs to get used to leadership roles/get caught up on best practices.

Oh I honestly dont care if they only close or not regularly, I just figured since they were new in role that it would be a great idea to close once a week for 2 months or so maybe and see all the ins and outs of what goes in during closing so they dont have to wonder why it looks a certain way when they open or so they know what realistically can be pushed to the closer for tasks if they cant finish it in the morning.

It sounds like you might be close to burning out bro. Maybe you should use some vacation hours and take a break.

Also, you CAN tell leadership you're prioritizing certain tasks over their attempts to make you do market pulls, or push rest of paper flow didn't complete due to payroll, etc.

Especially if it's related to food safety. If they tell you not to do it and do x, y or z instead -- document it on daily clean log / Saleb walk.

Then when sterirech comes and you get a critical once or twice in a row -- leadership will back off and let you do your thing.

Running a target store with general merchandise -- a trained monkey can do. There isn't anything that could become a public health issue. If leadership doesn't back off, pull out your food manager card. Ask the LOD if they have one -- most likely not.

Tell them to come back and tell you what to prioritize, once they understand food safety and what running a grocery section entails. In all seriousness, you need to push back if you feel like food safety is being compromised in the name of expediency.

We are ULV GM, so our CTL is all over the place on his shifts....not just market. Since he took over CTL a month ago, he's been closing 3 nights a week or so, at least.

Open M/W/F for C&S
Mid Thursday (11-7, 12-8 depending on workload)
Alternating weekend shifts, one weekend open, next mid, next close, rinse wash repeat.

My CTL closes one weekday and rotates weekends. When he closes, he leads Hardlines instead of doing P-Fresh unless the P-Fresh closer calls in (on his weeknight, this allows the SrTL-Hardlines who is also closing to focus on LOD routines).

It sounds like you might be close to burning out bro. Maybe you should use some vacation hours and take a break.

Also, you CAN tell leadership you're prioritizing certain tasks over their attempts to make you do market pulls, or push rest of paper flow didn't complete due to payroll, etc.

Especially if it's related to food safety. If they tell you not to do it and do x, y or z instead -- document it on daily clean log / Saleb walk.

Then when sterirech comes and you get a critical once or twice in a row -- leadership will back off and let you do your thing.

Running a target store with general merchandise -- a trained monkey can do. There isn't anything that could become a public health issue. If leadership doesn't back off, pull out your food manager card. Ask the LOD if they have one -- most likely not.

Tell them to come back and tell you what to prioritize, once they understand food safety and what running a grocery section entails. In all seriousness, you need to push back if you feel like food safety is being compromised in the name of expediency.

We are actually the only store in the group that was green for steritech for the year lmao

Please do not follow this advice. Let me stress that, please do not follow this advice. Here's the reason why. If your leader tasks you out with something and you refuse, you can be terminated for insubordination - not coached, not written up, not sent to the corner to think about what you did wrong, terminated. It has nothing to do with food safety, or what you or I think is the top priority, or what TM1 and TM2 did or didn't do. It has to do with your supervisor (who is responsible for the store/area/etc) delegating tasks down to you.

You can, and should, challenge upwards, but, BUT, the minute you pull out a damn card and throw it in someone's face while telling them to come back later when they understand something is the minute you decide you no longer want your job. That is disrespectful and rude. I don't think I could ever have a decent interaction with someone again if they pulled that **** on someone. Do it the correct way. Take the issues up with your TL, then ETL, and up. When you take a problem to them also take 2-3 different solutions. If nothing happens then it's just not going to happen. If something isn't done it won't be you having to answer to the STL, it's your supervisor having to answer to him.

As someone who notices the small stuff (and fixes it) to another - let it go. It's tough, it won't get done if you don't do it. It will drive you ****ing crazy at first. Here's why you can do that. First, when you're not there it doesn't get done and the store operates. Second, no one cares but you, they just don't (it's crazy, I don't know why they don't). Third, your stress level will go down.

I believe it is required of all LODs who are signed off to have completed the Food Safety Management course at least every 3 years. Every ETL/SrTL in our store is.

I believe it is required of all LODs who are signed off to have completed the Food Safety Management course at least every 3 years. Every ETL/SrTL in our store is.

It is, but it doesn't mean that they understand what exactly is involved in ensuring said facilities meet standards, along with the quality of produce.

Okay. You said it better. Don't actually pull out the food safety card. I was simply embellishing in order to make a point -- the LOD may or may not have taken their "food safety" course. Regardless, it has absolutely jack and **** in regards to knowing how to run a grocery section.

My assertion was and is always this: perishables first -- dry market followed by general merch is lower on priority ladder.

Oh, you said you wanted me to grab that market pull and that paper tub? Sorry LOD, I have 35+ sales planners to do since my CTL and other PA have wkd off.

Oh, you have no sales floor coverage besides me, electronics and a poor soft lines TM in middle of day, so I have to do it? Sorry. I can't. I have to follow Best Practices and stick to my core roles. Plus do my CTLs job and bug venders about setting caps.

The point is simply this -- be polite but firm when you refuse to do what LOD requests. They only have as much power over you as you let them. We own Consumeables/perishables. However, I might be more inclined to help out LOD -- if they actually did their job and did pfresh walk with me when I radio it out.

Either way, that mindset certainly didn't prevent me from getting promoted and put on fast track for leadership. Going to use the **** out of that tuition bennies then Imma bounce.

Obviously, this requires knowing how to tactfully say, "Sorry, but making sure all the dairy racks are scrubbed down is more important than pushing dry market, paper or grabbing carts. Maybe try asking a floater or soft lines?

Oh, we had 6 call ins on a Friday? It's not even pay day? You don't say? Could it be cos people don't get paid enough to work the time theyre actually scheduled? Not to mention the lack of hours? Been there, done that."

Tangentially, is it PAs (a store with two official PAs, a CTL and two trained backup TMs for primary PAs) that are required to close one wkd and open another in the monthly rotation?

So, apparently I now have to close Market once a month on my weekend scheduled -- instead of my usual open. (I close once every week). Schedule has been consistent for the standard two week rotation since pfresh opened. Now I'm expected to close instead of my usual open? Sorry, but if you'll notice my availibilities on MAX specifically say I'm not avail after 5pm on sat/Sunday -- tough. I'm not going to close it. I haven't in the last 3 years. I don't care if it's best practice for PAs. I'll xfer to another work center before I start letting you mess with my sleep. Unlike the rest of you sheltered ETLs with the 4.5k monthly check -- I gotta work two jobs AND go to school. So yeah, telling me I'm required to close on sat/sun after I've run pfresh for 8 months? **** you. I'll take the 16 hour hit in schedule and make it up in other work areas or work more at my 2nd job.

Oh, that second job? They actually have health insurance! A business with less than a 1,000 people has better benefits than spot offers!

So yeah, **** your close. And thanks to that certain crybaby TM who complained about always closing when it's your weekend.

Remember when you did open? You didn't show up until almost two hours past sched consistently enough for it to be a pattern. That's why you're on a final -- you dumbass. Since you got put on open twice a week with you closing rest, no issues. Then to have the audacity to complain about my scheduling to close only once a week?

**** you. But hey thanks! I now have more free time to study since I have to give up those hours to someone who CAN close.

Tangentially, is it PAs (a store with two official PAs, a CTL and two trained backup TMs for primary PAs) that are required to close one wkd and open another in the monthly rotation?

So, apparently I now have to close Market once a month on my weekend scheduled -- instead of my usual open. (I close once every week). Schedule has been consistent for the standard two week rotation since pfresh opened. Now I'm expected to close instead of my usual open? Sorry, but if you'll notice my availibilities on MAX specifically say I'm not avail after 5pm on sat/Sunday -- tough. I'm not going to close it. I haven't in the last 3 years. I don't care if it's best practice for PAs. I'll xfer to another work center before I start letting you mess with my sleep. Unlike the rest of you sheltered ETLs with the 4.5k monthly check -- I gotta work two jobs AND go to school. So yeah, telling me I'm required to close on sat/sun after I've run pfresh for 8 months? **** you. I'll take the 16 hour hit in schedule and make it up in other work areas or work more at my 2nd job.

Oh, that second job? They actually have health insurance! A business with less than a 1,000 people has better benefits than spot offers!

So yeah, **** your close. And thanks to that certain crybaby TM who complained about always closing when it's your weekend.

Remember when you did open? You didn't show up until almost two hours past sched consistently enough for it to be a pattern. That's why you're on a final -- you dumbass. Since you got put on open twice a week with you closing rest, no issues. Then to have the audacity to complain about my scheduling to close only once a week?

**** you. But hey thanks! I now have more free time to study since I have to give up those hours to someone who CAN close.

I can only dream of opening that much anymore. My CTL opens 5 days a week working til 2:30 getting 40 hours every week no matter what, and then I get one day and the other PA gets the other, HORRAY!!!, NOT.

When ut ctl closes or does signing, u should have him work with ur etl to get those hours scheduled under hardlines because there basically spending no time over in market...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back