Archived Does your store expect cashiers to use their own smartphones when Zebras aren't available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our store is seriously lacking in Zebras. Our leaders are encouraging "guest advocates" (cashiers) to use our own personal smartphones to look up things for guests on target.com and on the Target App much like we would using a store-provided Zebra. Is this now expected? Are some TMs being compensated by Target for using their personal smartphones for this kind of thing?

I see a lot of tms using their own phones. When Target pays a portion of my bill or provides a phone I will. Pretty sure if it got broken, they wouldn't be paying for a replacement and they definitely aren't paying for insurance. Sorry.... not using my personal property for work. I don't even bring it on the floor. There are not even chargers in the outlets for those who do. Nope.

Our store is seriously lacking in Zebras. Our leaders are encouraging "guest advocates" (cashiers) to use our own personal smartphones to look up things for guests on target.com and on the Target App much like we would using a store-provided Zebra. Is this now expected? Are some TMs being compensated by Target for using their personal smartphones for this kind of thing?
If the store doesn't provide you with the necessary equipment to help the guests look up items online then it shouldn't be expected of you as a job duty. it's not your responsibility to use your personal property to help Guests. If you don't mind doing so that's your decision but no it's not required and cannot be required of you (they might want you to though).

you should not be encouraged to do anything of the sort. i do it sometimes because i know it’ll be faster than looking it up on the mydevice but that’s my personal preference and i have never told one of my guest advocates that they have to

Other team members do, but it isn't asked of them, nor is it required. Personally, my phone goes into a locker upon my arrival at work, and stays there until my shift is over, unless I have something on Cartwheel that I am picking up on my break. This may change after I am "empowered" and will have to attend to guest requests w/o GSA/GSTL assistance. We just don't have enough Zebras to go around to all the "empowered" cashiers.

I had an ETL say that, to use your phone if you don't have a zebra, -but- there was absolutely nothing said about people who didn't use their phone. Because of the latter, I thought it more encouragement/request than mandate.

I wish that my store would allow the self-checkout team members to sign out a zebra or MyDevice. It would be much easier like most of you said for the front end. I asked my store's HR once if I could sign out a MyDevice when I was opening and she said that I should just rely on the SETL or GSA if needed since the sales floor team members need them more for their tasks.

My store is lacking in all devices. Lucky to find a zebra or walkie, nonetheless one that actually scans. We're encouraged, not required, to use our own phones.
I do prefer my phone for looking up prices & sales. I use the zebra as a back up reinforcement.
Wow, that's messed up now that I think about it...

We leave it up to the team member. Zebras are in short supply. I use my phone quite a bit; it is much faster. As a GETL; I will never require an advocate to use their own phone.

I wish that my store would allow the self-checkout team members to sign out a zebra or MyDevice. It would be much easier like most of you said for the front end. I asked my store's HR once if I could sign out a MyDevice when I was opening and she said that I should just rely on the SETL or GSA if needed since the sales floor team members need them more for their tasks.

best practice going forward is for SCO TM to have walkie and mydevice

Being a Target TM does qualify you for some discounts on phone services. I have Verizon and save 20% off my data plan just bc I work at Target. Having said that, I don’t use my phone unless I’m showing a guest how to use various functions within the Target app while they’re downloading it.

At my store, SCO has been carrying a Zebra for several months. One of the nice things there is that we can look up things for cashiers when the GSTL/GSA is attending to other guests.

They don’t expect, but I always joked that I became a GSA this way. Obviously that’s not why, but solving my own and others no barcode items with my phone tended to help a little.

I still use my phone sometimes though. I find the target app on there easier to use. You can set it to only show in store items when the zebra app tends to not always show that option and I usually find things faster. I only use it for items I know are going to have a lot of options when I search though.

Nah, that is some copout bullshit. It is Targets job to foot the equipment necessary to get the work done, not mine. Fortunately, our store had allotted like 5-6 zebras and 5 walkies just for guest service TMs with labels and everything.

Trying to keep the other TMs from stealing them, though.

I still use my phone sometimes though. I find the target app on there easier to use. You can set it to only show in store items when the zebra app tends to not always show that option and I usually find things faster. I only use it for items I know are going to have a lot of options when I search though.

Target app on the zebra, set the filters (upside down triangle in the lower right) in "shipping" to in store only.

Nah, that is some copout bullshit. It is Targets job to foot the equipment necessary to get the work done, not mine. Fortunately, our store had allotted like 5-6 zebras and 5 walkies just for guest service TMs with labels and everything.

Trying to keep the other TMs from stealing them, though.
Lucky! We get 3 and 2 remain at the SD, 1 for their use and 1 for OPU when someone is actually scheduled for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back