Archived Double the paycheck, double the fun... Oh Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that no one else posted about this already or it may have been just my store that was affected. This week's direct deposit came through twice, which means if your paycheck was supposed to be $100 you would see two transactions at $100 for a total of $200. However, spot isn't allowing this screw up to give their plebeians an extra bonus check. Nope, they're withdrawing from your account the second deposit, and will not reimburse you for any overdraft fees if you spend over the amount of what your check was supposed to be. I just thought everyone should be on the look out!

Last edited:
My question, is legally can they withdrawal the second paycheck amount from my account? It seems sketchy that they can just do that, plus doesn't that mean that at another point in time should the company find their pocketbooks have run dry they could start borrowing from their employees. I mean that would be highly unethical, but this proves that the potential is there.

On another note I checked my accounts today and found a withdrawal from spot for the second paycheck.

I think they can cancel their payment - may be why it shows up as a withdrawal. I gave them permission to deposit. There's no place I gave them permission to withdraw and that would be on the bank which is why I think it was a cancellation.

I looked at mine yesterday, and the withdrawal for the extra paycheck was made BEFORE the real and duplicate paychecks were even deposited. Spot better be damn happy that didn't cause any overdraft fees

My question, is legally can they withdrawal the second paycheck amount from my account? It seems sketchy that they can just do that, plus doesn't that mean that at another point in time should the company find their pocketbooks have run dry they could start borrowing from their employees. I mean that would be highly unethical, but this proves that the potential is there.

On another note I checked my accounts today and found a withdrawal from spot for the second paycheck.

I think they can cancel their payment - may be why it shows up as a withdrawal. I gave them permission to deposit. There's no place I gave them permission to withdraw and that would be on the bank which is why I think it was a cancellation.

Usually when you sign up for direct deposit, you hand your employer a form from the bank that says something like "I agree to receive funds from this employer AND for the employer to make corrections as needed in the event of an accidental deposit." That is at least what my bank's DD form says. So I'm sure it's the same thing here. That means if you spend that extra money and overdraft your account, it's on you.

If I were an executive/shareholder/whatever, I would let my employees keep the extra money instead of making them go through this headache. Then again, I'm not a heartless person and that's why I would never be an executive. :p

Yeh, spot will always figure a way to pass the cost on to those who can least afford it.

People on here are serious about being able to keep the check? You didn't work those extra hours to get a second check. Yes a company can reverse a direct deposit if they catch it within a certain amount of time. Yes it's legal if it's not time you earned.

If they don't, they'd have to track each person down and it becomes an accounts receiveable type of issue with some TMs not giving the money back.

I looked at mine yesterday, and the withdrawal for the extra paycheck was made BEFORE the real and duplicate paychecks were even deposited. Spot better be damn happy that didn't cause any overdraft fees

My guess is this was your bank's fault. Deposits always take longer to go through than withdrawals. So it's possible that Spot did the real deposit, the second deposit, the "oh shit, we didn't mean to do that!" withdrawal in that order, but the withdrawal hit immediately while the bank took their sweet time on the deposits.

By the way, people talking about overdraft fees...yes that sucks. But you're responsible for making sure your check is correct, if it's twice as much as it should be, you should recognize something is wrong and not spend the entire amount until you check in and see what's going on. If you're supposed to make 250 and it's 500...you should know something weird is going on.

The problem is, the way some banks work it, you could get the overdraft fees, and it wouldn't be your fault.

For instance, let's say you have a $250 balance in your checking account. You do a couple of debits, and it brings it down to $100...no big deal, you're getting paid that day...

Except Spot screwed up and accidentally paid you twice! But they took it back...and your bank, which takes out money faster than it puts it in, took out the $250 first...so now you are -$150. Sure, then the two deposits from Spot hit, putting you back up to the $350 you were supposed to be at, but since you had a negative balance, whoops! Overdraft fee! Sucks to be you!

The problem is, the way some banks work it, you could get the overdraft fees, and it wouldn't be your fault.

For instance, let's say you have a $250 balance in your checking account. You do a couple of debits, and it brings it down to $100...no big deal, you're getting paid that day...

Except Spot screwed up and accidentally paid you twice! But they took it back...and your bank, which takes out money faster than it puts it in, took out the $250 first...so now you are -$150. Sure, then the two deposits from Spot hit, putting you back up to the $350 you were supposed to be at, but since you had a negative balance, whoops! Overdraft fee! Sucks to be you!

I had something similar happen to me a while ago and I went to the bank explained the situation to one of the managers and they took the overdraft fee away. I think in a situation like that where they can see target deposited the paycheck twice unless the manager is a jerk I don't see why they wouldn't help you. Communication is the key

People on here are serious about being able to keep the check? You didn't work those extra hours to get a second check. Yes a company can reverse a direct deposit if they catch it within a certain amount of time. Yes it's legal if it's not time you earned.

If they don't, they'd have to track each person down and it becomes an accounts receiveable type of issue with some TMs not giving the money back.
I don't think anyone here is saying free money yay!.. just deduct it from my next paycheck and stuff like that..or at least that's how I view it but I do know that if I get a FEE I will be talking to my bank about it.. and if need be ill be glad to sue over the principle of it

If you got an overdraft few, talk to the bank. They should waive it for you. Most banks want to keep you happy. But by no means are you entitled to that money. You didn't earn it, so why should you get to keep it? Same with an ATM that gives you more money than you requested. That's not your money. You owe it to the bank.

If you got an overdraft few, talk to the bank. They should waive it for you. Most banks want to keep you happy. But by no means are you entitled to that money. You didn't earn it, so why should you get to keep it? Same with an ATM that gives you more money than you requested. That's not your money. You owe it to the bank.
Well in a way I did.. we get paid already a week into next pay period and in my case I worked that same amount of hours I earned on the paycheck they did twice .. like I said they could of just deducted it from my next paycheck but whatever

I'd rather have them take it right back than basically not get paid for the next pay period (assuming you average about the same hours each week).

I'm not worried about overdraft fee I would of seen that already.. I'm worried about "service fees" the banks like to throw on at the end of my statement for "handling" this transaction

Then your bank sucks. Mine has no fees. The even reimburse you for another bank's ATM fees if you submit the receipts.

After this year I wouldn't be surprised if banking industry has enough with target and is like "you will have to wait 1 week on payroll checks to clear"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back