Drive Up app changes?

we've been red the past few days but by less and less each day as we make adjustments to our process and get used to the app, and that's mostly only red by 2-3s per day. we were trending up anyway (30% increase in daily drive up volume but no corresponding increase in staffing, natch) so once we're adapted it'll go back down

So, order name mix-ups are going to cause drama now that we can't access orders alphabetically. Nuked our NPS score today.

So, order name mix-ups are going to cause drama now that we can't access orders alphabetically. Nuked our NPS score today.
That’s not an app issue, thats a lazy TM issue. You should be verifying it’s the right guest and that they’re getting the right stuff.

But if one team member had claimed an order to prep and I want to help them out by getting part of the Oder while there grabbing grocery stuff I can’t scan the bags I pulled to make sure I got all of the ones I’m pulling.
That’s kinda the point of the update. When a bunch of different TM’s are all helping to prep one order, that makes it much more likely that something gets missed. How are those TM’s held accountable when something goes wrong? With how it is now, you can keep track of who prepped and who delivered, so when something goes wrong you can narrow it down rather than having to ask around the whole team and get the “pass the blame down the alley” game.

I think what is the biggest struggle for drive up teams is that they get so obsessive about every order neeeding to be under 2 minutes that they forget it’s an average. Some orders will take more than 2, some will take much less. Focus on getting those small easy orders out quickest so your score isn’t bogged down when you get a 56 item no warning drive up.

For stores with their coolers on the opposite side of the building, you’re not going to make it under 2 minutes no matter how hard you try. Again, it’s an average. You cannot teleport across the store and back outside. Stop burning yourselves out and getting upset that you can’t do the impossible on those orders. The drive up process is a breeze when everyone is able to keep calm and focus on accuracy. That is the number one priority. Guests do not care about our times or whether they get their order in 2 minutes. They care if they have to come back again to get items they didn’t get, or to bring back someone else’s order. You can have an average time under 40 seconds, but if your NPS is full of guests angry about their order being messed up there is no reason to celebrate that time.

Also, if there’s only 2 people scheduled for the desk and drive up combined, that 2 minutes isn’t happening until your store gets its shit together and allocates payroll properly. Taking shortcuts and using tricks to manipulate the numbers will only make your job more difficult in the long run as they realize they can get away with siphoning drive up hours into other departments. If you can’t do it you can’t do it. Just try your best and let your leaders explain why they aren’t properly supporting the largest sales growth method in the company.

I think what is the biggest struggle for drive up teams is that they get so obsessive about every order neeeding to be under 2 minutes that they forget it’s an average. Some orders will take more than 2, some will take much less. Focus on getting those small easy orders out quickest so your score isn’t bogged down when you get a 56 item no warning drive up.
100% nailed it

Also, if there’s only 2 people scheduled for the desk and drive up combined, that 2 minutes isn’t happening until your store gets its shit together and allocates payroll properly.
I can’t emphasize this enough. It’s not our (GSTMs) fault if we don’t get it out in 2 mins if you don’t give us the staffing to do that. So don’t stress too much about it, we’re not paid enough to go gray from worrying

That’s kinda the point of the update. When a bunch of different TM’s are all helping to prep one order, that makes it much more likely that something gets missed. How are those TM’s held accountable when something goes wrong? With how it is now, you can keep track of who prepped and who delivered, so when something goes wrong you can narrow it down rather than having to ask around the whole team and get the “pass the blame down the alley” game.

For stores with their coolers on the opposite side of the building, you’re not going to make it under 2 minutes no matter how hard you try. Again, it’s an average. You cannot teleport across the store and back outside. Stop burning yourselves out and getting upset that you can’t do the impossible on those orders. The drive up process is a breeze when everyone is able to keep calm and focus on accuracy. That is the number one priority. Guests do not care about our times or whether they get their order in 2 minutes. They care if they have to come back again to get items they didn’t get, or to bring back someone else’s order. You can have an average time under 40 seconds, but if your NPS is full of guests angry about their order being messed up there is no reason to celebrate that time.

Also, if there’s only 2 people scheduled for the desk and drive up combined, that 2 minutes isn’t happening until your store gets its shit together and allocates payroll properly. Taking shortcuts and using tricks to manipulate the numbers will only make your job more difficult in the long run as they realize they can get away with siphoning drive up hours into other departments. If you can’t do it you can’t do it. Just try your best and let your leaders explain why they aren’t properly supporting the largest sales growth method in the company.
I get most of what your saying except when you say guests don’t care about time, they absolutely care about time! I agree in theory only one team member should be pulling an order but, there are times when I’m pulling grocery and the guest is there waiting and would. Have to wait even longer if someone didn’t pull the non grocery for me.

I can’t emphasize this enough. It’s not our (GSTMs) fault if we don’t get it out in 2 mins if you don’t give us the staffing to do that. So don’t stress too much about it, we’re not paid enough to go gray from worrying
It is totally not our fault if we don’t make it out under 2 minutes but, we are the ones who have to hear Karen complain when she has to wait. Karen doesn’t care if we are short staffed etc.. I personally try not too stress to much about time.

One interesting situation we found with the app today was a TM who was working earlier in the day prepping drive up orders left for the day with an order he prepped and delivered locked under his name after he had logged out of his device because he delivered the order, but failed to completely process the order because he didn’t swipe after he put in the guest’s code.

There is no way to override or kick a team member out of an order after they have selected to “deliver” the order, so the timer will just continue with no way to clear until it times out after an hour. We had to call and contact the TM and a GSTL actually had to log in under that TMs account to clear it out.

I’m getting tired of the app crashing when we get more than 10 drive ups at a time. I’m also tired of clicking on prep or deliver and it going into read only mode because it thinks I clicked .0000001cm off from where it wanted.

also, why is the app showing some orders as being prepped and ready for delivery when nobody has prepped them and they’re still sitting in the location?

As always, it needs a speed boost just like the shit register system and myDay. The amount of time we waste just standing around waiting for this crap to load is ridiculous. It’s 2021, not 1998.

Just curious about other stores how long does it take you get large orders out? Is it sometimes 20 plus minutes?
20 + minutes sounds extremely high, our stores leadership team would lose their cool. Unleas the entire order is missing and had to be repicked....

One of my TMs had a 2 cart order (including grocery) last night. She picked it in about 5 minutes. Then the guest proceeded to take 30 minutes to actually show up so she had to put some of the grocery back but it definitely didn't take 20 minutes.

The orders that take the longest are the ones requiring a flatbed.

I've tried other drive up services. So far no one beats target. Even Walmart takes forever to get order ready. The way target set up the app to "on my way" really helps prepare the products into the cart. And just haul it when you're there.

Back