Drive-up idea

azure

Service Advocate
Drive-up idea. Drive-ups are growing at an incredible rate and with winter coming they are expected to grow by 3 times. Obviously with more drive-ups comes more chaos. Right now the drive-up system is unorganized and inefficient which means change has to happen. While I can’t change the system I can come up with new ideas to improve the system we have now. One of the biggest problems I noticed was the organization and communication and I think I found a way to fix these problems. In the drive-up app when in a order if you select a bag to see what’s in the bag in the bottom right corner there are 3 dots and when clicked it gives you a move hold location. My idea is giving prepped areas and carts, hold locations. Once you grab a order you then change one of the bags hold locations to the new prepped location so the runners are immediately able to know where the order is and if it’s prepped. I think this idea would easily improve the drive-up system and make everything run more efficiently. Team members will be able to just open up the order and immediately see if it’s prepped and where it is. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this idea.

I like it. Had a similar idea years ago when three-tiers would be labeled as MC, not a whole hold location (looking at you stupid HQ decision makers.) so that way anything “On the Way” could then be moved to the MC cart ready to go outside. But now with hold location labeled as MC (🙄🙄) it’s kinda hard unless you do some off the wall MC location like MCZ 999, 998, 997 depending on how many carts you would use.

We can't even get our OPU TMs to stop using the reprint label button for scanning into hold. Every order is scanned into the hold areas as 1 bag. Good luck on trying to improve efficiency at your store.
Yep. Flex TL told us he has absolutely no control over his TMs not doing it correctly, so we just need to double check every order. The mistakes on both ends are avoidable, but the not scanning into hold is so frustrating.

We can't even get our OPU TMs to stop using the reprint label button for scanning into hold. Every order is scanned into the hold areas as 1 bag. Good luck on trying to improve efficiency at your store.
I would be willing to volunteer my time - off the clock - to watch them put orders to hold and correct them every time they do something wrong. I know it's neverending but it's already driving me nuts that they can't or won't follow simple instructions. ONE ORDER PER WACO. WHY tf are you putting two orders in one waco when there are 12 other empty ones? (sorry, clearly need to vent)

Have a log of this. Slap a sticker from the order there and look up the info in my help. Have the Fulfillment TL encourage that TM to do things correctly.

I like the idea of making a 3 tier a location, but how long does it take to do this? It was raining and cold tonight, so naturally, everyone and their brother had to come for a friggen DU. I got off at 4 and I still feel wet and cold. I'm not sure this system will help when its crazy busy. We keep our pending orders in bins and 3 tiers. I peel off the stickers and put them on the outside of the bin or on the rail of the tier the order occupies. Someone will ask, where is "Cantwell"? and another TM will say she is in a 3 tier or a bin. If we are a little ahead, then we put all the stickers on the rail and the TM running can scan and go. If we are getting our asses handed to us, we are probably grabbing and order or two and going straight to the car cuz the damn clock is probably already at the 4 min mark.

We use the red bins for most of our OPUs and there are much more then 1 per bin. Sometimes there can be ten depending on how much crap is in the bag.

Yep. Flex TL told us he has absolutely no control over his TMs not doing it correctly, so we just need to double check every order. The mistakes on both ends are avoidable, but the not scanning into hold is so frustrating.
He has no control or doesn’t care to have control? Cause it’s HIS TMs not doing things correctly.

He has no control or doesn’t care to have control? Cause it’s HIS TMs not doing things correctly.
definitely the latter. my flex tl started coaching for it and people started doing it correctly real quick

My irritation is that the grocery Flex are packing the bags too full. Putting 12 cans plus bottles and boxes in one bag is ridiculous. Its okay to use more than one bag. But then you have to make another sticker so maybe they are just being lazy.

Another thing is that just because there is a top shelf doesn't mean you should use it...or at least not for super heavy things.

My irritation is that the grocery Flex are packing the bags too full. Putting 12 cans plus bottles and boxes in one bag is ridiculous. Its okay to use more than one bag. But then you have to make another sticker so maybe they are just being lazy.

Another thing is that just because there is a top shelf doesn't mean you should use it...or at least not for super heavy things.

Let's follow up on this. One thing that is driving me absolutely crazy is that my team will fill up a lower shelf in coolers with small bags containing light items. Then, along I come with gallons of milk and I have nowhere to put them but on the top shelf. It's maddening and apologies to guest services.

As for the bags, I obviously don't know what it's like at your store. Personally, I'm having a very difficult time getting in large bags (I have tons of the small ones) and pick labels. I'm guessing that I'll run out of bags in about 2 weeks. I'll probably run out of pick labels before then. As a result, we're unfortunately having to fill bags a little fuller than I would ordinarily like to preserve our supplies. I try to keep them not too heavy though, but they'll be stuffed to the top until my supply orders finally come in.

I’ve suggested, cheekily, that some TMs from fulfillment should have to do Drive Up on a Saturday and Sunday. Maybe then they will see how their cutting corners makes things difficult for us at GS.

And then vice versa. Have some GS TMs learn fulfillment. Because I don’t like when heavy items are placed up on high shelves and it didn’t occur to me that it could be because there wasn’t any other place to put it.

I wish my store had more room for OPU. I think the OP idea of having a hold location to put prepped orders. It would be great if it would also identify when the order has a cooler and/or freezer item. We use guest carts to prep orders and put the sticker on the handrail. If there’s a cooler or freezer item, we’re supposed to also stick a post it note so everyone can tell without having to look it up. Most everyone forgets the post it note.

Have a log of this. Slap a sticker from the order there and look up the info in my help. Have the Fulfillment TL encourage that TM to do things correctly.
I document all the orders I run across and send memos to the fulfillment TL, S&E ETL, and S&E TLs every chance I get. Does it do any good? Nope. I've done my part.

So fulfillment at our store during the evening , the vets have been taking time to work other departments to give the new flex peeps experience. 2 of them were working media last night "hey just get it all backstocked, organize later atleast it'll be in the system for when need to find it for a batch later". They looked at me with confusion and then" Ohhh! I understand why you organized your stock room so.." looks.

Back