Drive up

It is so annoying when a guest comes to the guest services desk to pick up their drive up order because they "had to come in and grab a few things anyway". Ugh. .. I just want to tell them. , Go park in the drive up area and push the " I'm on the way and I'm here button" and wait for drive up team to bring it out because their items are in a separate location, away from my guest services.

Please search our other threads.

Last edited:
or you could just show them how to switch their order in the app and do it as a regular pickup, or use it as an opportunity to score a really low goal time on that particular order...
Yes , that's exactly what I do , if the line isn't long, however sometimes Im the only one up at service desk and the line is growing....it's just super bad timing is all. I was just letting off some steam.... I am delighted to help every guest to the best of my ability, and make sure the guest is impressed during their visit, but I also like to appear to be some what of a super hero to my fellow tm's by taking care of alot of tasks at one time (even if I'm up at SD solo ). Bc my TL will come through be like " nice job". 👍 makes me feel accomplished and proud .

Don’t stress it. It’s a lot easier for you to go quickly grab it then it is for the drive up team to grab it and run it. The drive up team does a lot.

Ya. In our store DU, order pickup and guest service was in the same area. They moved most the drive up locations to a separate area. However the cold items are at GS.

In a month or two our store is gonna have another massive remodel. We were the test store when they did the first major remodel back in like 2017 I think it was. Anyways our service desk is on our grocery entrance. They are redoing our gm back room and part of our gm area to add a whole new area for pickups and driveups. They are redoing the whole system I believe for this too. We had over 50 drive up spots for Q4. Absolute madness for us. Over 1700 orders and 6 hold areas. 3 for bigger items and 3 for bags. We needed a remodel but our service desk will no longer be apart of driveups and pickups. We had them separate for Q4 but now have them back together. Once the remodel is done they will be permanently separated. The remodel is going to take 4 months. It’s gonna be cool tho because they are gonna add a 3rd entrance just for drive ups so we don’t have to run around guests. They are taking a pretty big chunk of our store to make this so it’s gonna be cool I think. I’m guessing if it works with our store they will also do it with other big stores. Our service desk shouldn’t be on the grocery side though it causes so many problems and wish it would stay with driveups and pickups.

Just educate the guest how to switch their pick up method and move on
Thread hijacking, how is that done? I'm tired of having to put everything in my cart, close everything out, go right back in, and switch individually every single item from in store pickup to drive up and then hit order. Is it exactly that or is there a faster way to switch the delivery method all at once?

Thread hijacking, how is that done? I'm tired of having to put everything in my cart, close everything out, go right back in, and switch individually every single item from in store pickup to drive up and then hit order. Is it exactly that or is there a faster way to switch the delivery method all at once?

After you order, you can now change delivery method in the app after your order is picked.

I'll try that, thanks.

Too bad they can't make it easy by making DU an available option while shopping, blech.

They do. In the app. You just have to select the option you prefer but it defaults to Order Pickup.

They do. In the app. You just have to select the option you prefer but it defaults to Order Pickup.
In the app being the key word. Shopping online is absolutely miserable in an app, no matter which store's app. Tiny pictures, limited descriptions, scroll, scroll, scroll since the items can't fit both compactly and legible, finger tapping personal and financial data in on a touchscreen and hope you don't tap 2 millimeters to the left or your info's garbled. I kinda like seeing pictures and I kinda like seeing detailed descriptions and I kinda like multiple yet visible choices and limited need to scroll and I kinda like saving a lot of time by being able to type accurately and quickly when inputting my data. And there's zero reason to not have DU on the website, the computer's not attached with an umbilical cord so I can physically leave its presence and drive to Target.

In the app being the key word. Shopping online is absolutely miserable in an app, no matter which store's app. Tiny pictures, limited descriptions, scroll, scroll, scroll since the items can't fit both compactly and legible, finger tapping personal and financial data in on a touchscreen and hope you don't tap 2 millimeters to the left or your info's garbled. I kinda like seeing pictures and I kinda like seeing detailed descriptions and I kinda like multiple yet visible choices and limited need to scroll and I kinda like saving a lot of time by being able to type accurately and quickly when inputting my data. And there's zero reason to not have DU on the website, the computer's not attached with an umbilical cord so I can physically leave its presence and drive to Target.
You must not understand technology. If they put driveups on the website it would be sooo much less secure. It also wouldn’t be able to track how far out you are. Would also be extremely hard to make it so a website can easily communicate with the server the info of the order. I know how to make websites it’s not that hard however making it secure and to have it communicate everything that is needed would be close to impossible. With a app target can do so much more and track so much more. Driveups is also meant to be nice and easy. If they added it to the website it would be so much harder for guests to use. 80% of the guests can’t even get the pickup barcode on the website. Literally all you do is press order details and sign in and even then 70% of those guests don’t know there passcode. It would cause absolute kiosk if they added drive ups to the website. With the target app you just open it and say when on the way and here. The target app is honestly one of the most impressive apps I have ever seen. We get a call maybe once a day for a pickup that’s outside. If they added driveups to the website I think we would get around 100 calls. The app is 100x better then the website. There isn’t a simple way of doing it.

You can do all your shopping on the computer. When you pay, it tells you that you can change it from OPU to DU, in the app. You have to switch it, in the app because the guest has to use the app to communicate with the store....to hit I'm on my way and I'm here. You app needs to be a more current version as well.

Don’t stress it. It’s a lot easier for you to go quickly grab it then it is for the drive up team to grab it and run it. The drive up team does a lot.
I know drive up does do alot because I'm on the drive up/guest services/front lanes& front end/sales floor/opu/fulfilment/presentation/ etc....team♥️. When we started the drive up service at our store, it was my self and another team member who completed the very first "drive up order " at the time. We had order Pick up but not DU

You must not understand technology. If they put driveups on the website it would be sooo much less secure. It also wouldn’t be able to track how far out you are. Would also be extremely hard to make it so a website can easily communicate with the server the info of the order. I know how to make websites it’s not that hard however making it secure and to have it communicate everything that is needed would be close to impossible. With a app target can do so much more and track so much more. Driveups is also meant to be nice and easy. If they added it to the website it would be so much harder for guests to use. 80% of the guests can’t even get the pickup barcode on the website. Literally all you do is press order details and sign in and even then 70% of those guests don’t know there passcode. It would cause absolute kiosk if they added drive ups to the website. With the target app you just open it and say when on the way and here. The target app is honestly one of the most impressive apps I have ever seen. We get a call maybe once a day for a pickup that’s outside. If they added driveups to the website I think we would get around 100 calls. The app is 100x better then the website. There isn’t a simple way of doing it.
And that is a bunch of nonsense. It is extremely easy to shop and pay by computer and after leaving the home pull out the phone, open the Target app with the already finalized order and press the on your way button. Technology is supposed to be seamless where the phone and computer are extensions of each other. You take a picture and you can pull it up at home without a qualm. You can design a spreadsheet at home and pull it up on the go to finalize and email. So why divide for purchases?

And that is a bunch of nonsense. It is extremely easy to shop and pay by computer and after leaving the home pull out the phone, open the Target app with the already finalized order and press the on your way button. Technology is supposed to be seamless where the phone and computer are extensions of each other. You take a picture and you can pull it up at home without a qualm. You can design a spreadsheet at home and pull it up on the go to finalize and email. So why divide for purchases?
You could put everything you want in your cart on the computer and just hit checkout on your phone.

I know drive up does do alot because I'm on the drive up/guest services/front lanes& front end/sales floor/opu/fulfilment/presentation/ etc....team♥️. When we started the drive up service at our store, it was my self and another team member who completed the very first "drive up order " at the time. We had order Pick up but not DU

I did the first DU too. I had everyone watching too, including the district manager. I don't miss the days of "Honk, Honk! Hey DBZ do you have that DU?"

Oh yah you can do that rn. I thought you meant do everything online like say your on the way etc my bad. They don’t do that because with that idea the guest must have the app and there is no way of knowing if they do. You can place the order on your computer then open the app and switch it to a drive up.

Back