Archived Electronics - Driving Sales / High AAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello -

I am new to target and retail in general and I came into a store, as a senior team lead, where the electronics department is consistently listed as a bottom 3 department due to low sales which makes AAR a challenge. I should also note that the team morale across the store is very low and the existing electronic team members were all reviewed by another team lead as inconsistently effective. My ETL approached me as she came into work and immediately told me that our sales have been horrible, which I was already aware of. I have only been at this store for a little more than a week and her comment makes it seem like they wanted outstanding results by now. This department has been without a leader since Christmas and the department looks to have been severely neglected in terms of cleanliness, the number of outs all over, and some items being spider wrapped while higher priced items not having any spider wrap at all - just to name a few issues.

Our store layout is the "old school" since we're not a PFresh store and our electronics is located to the far left of the store, not in the back, like most stores. I am also responsible for leading A, B, C, D and pets. My ETL then asked what I had for ideas of turning things around - so I gave her my ideas about electronics, but she then said what about A, B, C and D? I want to focus on electronics first and was wondering... -

- How do you push for higher AAR? I always try to sell controllers, hdmi cords, etc.
- How do you push for higher sales in general?

Our store deals with many call ins per day so sometimes our electronic team members need to wander all over the store and are not always readily available to assist guests in electronics due to call buttons, zoning, etc.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Like Hardlinesmaster said, my understanding is that AAR isn't a major metric anymore.

Making recommendations can be fairly easy.
Ask people if they are going to need cables when they buy TVs (upgrade their cables), batteries, if they get a movie find out if they have a different by that same director, stuff like that.

Thanks for the quick responses. The link provided was very helpful!

The only aar I am good at is cameras. I have 150 percent or higher on those. My guests do not walk out without a sd card, and at least half have their coverage plan. But most are dropping cash for a dslr to take to an event. They don't want to worry about what-if and they need serious storage. The hardest sell is a Redcard to match.

Talk to them like a human. Explain that they'll need ink and paper for their printer. Offer to show them where it's at and what they'll need exactly. Go through their items before you start ringing them out.

Explain how inexpensive the service plans are and how much it actually covers.

If they are buying a laptop, talk to them about cases, mouse pads and a mouse for easier use.

If they get a game system, ask them about another controller, a rechargeable battery, some awesome games.

When you point little things out and explain why it's a good purchase, they listen.

Certian incentive buys. Our team was granted permission to give a free HDMI cable if signing up for a redcard when buying a TV, that way they get a redcard and an attachment. Also bluray DVDs are your friend. If they buy a DVD player tell them about certian bluerays on sale. And ESPs also, if it has a cord, get an ESP. Currently im at 1100% for AAR YTD. Im not saying to go change prices left and right, but make sure you know what you're selling, a lot of the DVDS players don't come with HDMI cables, and chances are if they are upgrading they won't have a spare one laying around. Another one for the holidays, if people are buying iPads or iPods, suggest iTunes cards to go with them. They are cheap and always a good bonus. Plus with the red card vibe depending how much they spend, it's like the attachment is free for the guest. Focus on the word "Free" when In reality nothing's free, but they don't know that :p and sorry one more tidbit, laptops, tablets, what ever, little cables that people need, or a new pair of headphones even if they are 10$ it's AAR. You should have your team read the attachment list and just remeber what counts and what doesn't. That way they know the easy things to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back