Archived Electronics Interview This Week... What to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catrainer

Hey guys, Just as the title suggests, I am supposed to have an electronics interview this week. What should I expect? Any tips? Thanks in advance!

My TL told me that its all about the vibe and helping guests find what they need. And driving AAR. So just show that you have good people skills, you want to learn about the products, and you are excited about all the responsibilities. And driving AAR.

They will for sure ask about your people skills and how you can vibe with guests and a team.
If they want to hire good talent then they will also ask about your product knowledge. How will you increase attachments on products and sell protection plans.

Just a quick question: Is an acceptable way of driving AAR giving like a 10% discount on an attachment? I have never done it, but I am just curious. Also, thank you for all of the information so far guys!

Just a quick question: Is an acceptable way of driving AAR giving like a 10% discount on an attachment? I have never done it, but I am just curious. Also, thank you for all of the information so far guys!
Absolutely not. It will show up in the pcvs , and in the register under your numbers. The only time that it is okay is if it is damaged then you can give 5-15 % off depending on your stores policy

Absolutely not. It will show up in the pcvs , and in the register under your numbers. The only time that it is okay is if it is damaged then you can give 5-15 % off depending on your stores policy

What about Be Bold?

The discount for attachments really depends on the store. We have permission to do it, but only as our last line of defense. It took our stl forever to agree to it.

Funny how such a basic sales tactic is so feared. Target makes so much off protection plans they'd come out on top even with the discount.

The questions are all the same, how are you with time management, how are you in a team, how are you with guest etc. I want to know how you are going to help drive my team and the store. AAR is not just a e&e corner goal, everyone's review has a an AAR %age that counts for or against them. They need people who want to interact with guest one on one and be top sales people, driving attachments and extended service plans along with red cards. When you are running along with all that, you need to be always on top of your game with guest survey scores. If you are not willing to take accountability for *any* of your scores then I hate to say this but after a while of talks and papers, you will be moved out. If you can shine here, then by golly, you can really go places, or keep your cardio up at the very least. :)

I just had my 1st interview today and it went VERY well. It was the longest interview that I have ever been in. 40 minutes. It was worth it though I think. At the end, she (I don't know if it was on accident or on purpose) said "Nice to have you.". I knew from the get-go that she was supportive of me going to Electronics as she tried to get me transferred over there 2 months ago.

A major point would be engaging guests by offering help in finding what they are looking for, educating them on their choices, then selling them what would work best for them, based on their wants/needs.

For example, a nice HDTV. You can always recommend a better brand or one with added features (Smart TV), but be sure to find out what their plans are for it. If they already own a Blu-Ray player, ask them if it has apps (Smart TV capabilities) built in. If so, you could recommend a standard HDTV in the size they need. Be sure to mention the benefits of having surge protection, screen wipes, HDMI cables, Soundbars, etc. Then talk up the Service & Replacement plans. Give them the benefits of having it, what it covers, the extent of coverage, & the one-time price that will cover their product throughout the plan's life. Remember, it's always about the guest.

The other important things are to be on your game & know your business. Learn your area & where items are located. You WILL be tested......by guest after guest.....after guest. Be knowledgeable & always smile, make small talk, & show the guest you're there to help them. AAR is important. Always push attachments. If a guest needs a camera, at the very least, you should be able to get an SD card to attach. But, always offer more......a new case, tripod, & for cameras without rechargeable battery packs, batteries. Most people tend to shop the point & shoot or high zoom cams, so on most, the plan should be $21. I always show the guest what the plans actually cover, as opposed to just verbally pushing it. Some guests tend to shy away, but once you lay it out there & let them read it themselves, they realize it's a good deal for those unwanted accidents.

The main things you'll need to keep up on from week to week are AAR, Guest Experience in Electronics/Entertainment, Survey Scores, & even Guest Comments. Depending on your role in Electronics, you may be in charge of doing video game revisions, sales planners (in Electronics, though some stores are near areas like Toys, where you'd also be helping map out sales planners there), & basically helping run the department with the TL. A lot of people tend to think that Electronics looks " so easy" & that we stand around doing nothing while the rest of the sales floor is all over the place. If they worked our area just once, they'd see how much we honestly do & that there aren't enough hours in the day sometimes, depending on guest traffic.

Overall, it's a great place to work, if you learn quickly & move fast.......be sure to be friendly.......& try to have fun. It can be a fun job, but it isn't without its stressful moments. Just give yourself a few attainable goals & shoot for them. Show them you want to do this & you're the right guy for the job. I've worked numerous areas of my store, starting in HL first & moving around to nearly every area for a tour of duty....HA! Once a position opened up, I immediately expressed interest & went for it. It was a perfect fit. So good luck & hope it works out the same for you!

I just had my 1st interview today and it went VERY well. It was the longest interview that I have ever been in. 40 minutes. It was worth it though I think. At the end, she (I don't know if it was on accident or on purpose) said "Nice to have you.". I knew from the get-go that she was supportive of me going to Electronics as she tried to get me transferred over there 2 months ago.

Sounds like you made it through the first interview fine. The second, based on what you quoted, may be just to go through the motions. It may already be on the table for you, they just need to complete the second interview regardless. Hope it goes well for you.

Hopefully it all goes well for you. My store sure could the help. I am the only full time electronics person left at my store and there not planning to hire anyone till 4th quarter and on some days I'm the only person in the store who gets any attachments at all. My advice is product knowledge will make the guest trust you more and will help you succeed.

A major point would be engaging guests by offering help in finding what they are looking for, educating them on their choices, then selling them what would work best for them, based on their wants/needs.

For example, a nice HDTV. You can always recommend a better brand or one with added features (Smart TV), but be sure to find out what their plans are for it. If they already own a Blu-Ray player, ask them if it has apps (Smart TV capabilities) built in. If so, you could recommend a standard HDTV in the size they need. Be sure to mention the benefits of having surge protection, screen wipes, HDMI cables, Soundbars, etc. Then talk up the Service & Replacement plans. Give them the benefits of having it, what it covers, the extent of coverage, & the one-time price that will cover their product throughout the plan's life. Remember, it's always about the guest.

The other important things are to be on your game & know your business. Learn your area & where items are located. You WILL be tested......by guest after guest.....after guest. Be knowledgeable & always smile, make small talk, & show the guest you're there to help them. AAR is important. Always push attachments. If a guest needs a camera, at the very least, you should be able to get an SD card to attach. But, always offer more......a new case, tripod, & for cameras without rechargeable battery packs, batteries. Most people tend to shop the point & shoot or high zoom cams, so on most, the plan should be $21. I always show the guest what the plans actually cover, as opposed to just verbally pushing it. Some guests tend to shy away, but once you lay it out there & let them read it themselves, they realize it's a good deal for those unwanted accidents.

The main things you'll need to keep up on from week to week are AAR, Guest Experience in Electronics/Entertainment, Survey Scores, & even Guest Comments. Depending on your role in Electronics, you may be in charge of doing video game revisions, sales planners (in Electronics, though some stores are near areas like Toys, where you'd also be helping map out sales planners there), & basically helping run the department with the TL. A lot of people tend to think that Electronics looks " so easy" & that we stand around doing nothing while the rest of the sales floor is all over the place. If they worked our area just once, they'd see how much we honestly do & that there aren't enough hours in the day sometimes, depending on guest traffic.

Overall, it's a great place to work, if you learn quickly & move fast.......be sure to be friendly.......& try to have fun. It can be a fun job, but it isn't without its stressful moments. Just give yourself a few attainable goals & shoot for them. Show them you want to do this & you're the right guy for the job. I've worked numerous areas of my store, starting in HL first & moving around to nearly every area for a tour of duty....HA! Once a position opened up, I immediately expressed interest & went for it. It was a perfect fit. So good luck & hope it works out the same for you!

Are you sure that you are not the person that interviewed me? These are all great points that my interviewer brought up to me. From the way that she was talking to me, (she was telling me A LOT of details of how to almost run the department) I feel that she is wanting to make me a leader type of role. I am very people friendly. I also was a manager at my old job and in charge of 63 employees' trainings. I had to make sure each and everyone of them had the appropriate training.

I find it strange you are interviewing for electronics... was that position given a pay increase recently? They'll throw anyone in there at my store who is willing, no questions asked. Of course if their attachment rates are poor they will be quickly removed, but no interviews here.

About a month ago there was a opening at my store for electronics and I had to apply and interview for it. I got the job since my AAR was green and our store has been red/yellow for I while now. Be prepared to close every night if you are not going to be a brand tm. We just got a new ETL and he wants us to get 100% attachment and 50% spr rate each week!

I find it strange you are interviewing for electronics... was that position given a pay increase recently? They'll throw anyone in there at my store who is willing, no questions asked. Of course if their attachment rates are poor they will be quickly removed, but no interviews here.
Yes, that position is a paygrade increase from what I am paid currently.

Yes, that position is a paygrade increase from what I am paid currently.

Be prepared to push hard for AAR and SPR each week, electronics ETL and TL can be ruthless when it comes to our department because they expect alot out of us. Recently our store was the lowest out of the district and now the TL wants to meet with everyone and pretty much scold at us for doing so bad when we've always been top 10 store.

What about Be Bold?
Dont count on b

What about Be Bold?
Bold is dead at least in my district. We got pantsed and tge dtl just got fed up with it

Well, I had my interviews and now I am just waiting for the response. It won't be until late this week or early next week because the TL has a few more interviews to do and she is on vacation until Friday. I feel like they went really well. Especially the first one which was with said TL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back