Archived Electronics Return Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I was just talkin with one of my GSA's the other day and I continue to get different answers from each GSA or GSTL on what I should be telling our guests back in electronics. First off I was orginally told that new and unused is the guideline for returns/exchanges unless there is something defective with the product. However, a few of our GSAs and one of our GSTLs told me that buyer's remorse or "I just don't like it" are acceptable reasons for returning or exchanging an item as long as the guest has the receipt and is within the return window. I have since been telling guests this only because I was told that guest satisfaction is the priority and that a return shouldn't be denied as long as the guest has everything that went out the door and their receipt. Does anyone else think/KNOW this sounds bogus? I just want to be adhering to best practice and not giving guests incorrect information. Should I bring these descrepancies up to our ETL-GE and see what she says? I just don't wanna deny a return and find out later I should've accepted it since the guest has everything we needed to process a return. Any other stores having these he said/she said issues? Many many thanks all!

Hi all, I was just talkin with one of my GSA's the other day and I continue to get different answers from each GSA or GSTL on what I should be telling our guests back in electronics. First off I was orginally told that new and unused is the guideline for returns/exchanges unless there is something defective with the product. However, a few of our GSAs and one of our GSTLs told me that buyer's remorse or "I just don't like it" are acceptable reasons for returning or exchanging an item as long as the guest has the receipt and is within the return window. I have since been telling guests this only because I was told that guest satisfaction is the priority and that a return shouldn't be denied as long as the guest has everything that went out the door and their receipt. Does anyone else think/KNOW this sounds bogus? I just want to be adhering to best practice and not giving guests incorrect information. Should I bring these descrepancies up to our ETL-GE and see what she says? I just don't wanna deny a return and find out later I should've accepted it since the guest has everything we needed to process a return. Any other stores having these he said/she said issues? Many many thanks all!

At my store its pretty much new and unused. Things like e-readers, IPad, Ipod, etc we won't take back opened, unless its defective. Everything else is case by case basis. For example, if they brought a TV that was to big for their entertainment center, and they bring it back within a few days, I would generally take it back along as everything's with it and its not destroyed. (box, remote, etc). But as a general guideline we try to follow the new and unused as much as possible.

New and unused, or defective all the way with minor exceptions only handled through the GSTL or ETL.

Last edited:
We accept opened Ipads, and laptops.... in other words, everything! :O

I don't think you accept open iPads. I was coached a few days ago for accepting a return on an open iPad. Apparently we don't accept returns on anything electronic that's open. o_O
Or that's what my GSTL said.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I really do appreciate it! I'm going to work on making sure our team knows the little nuiances that crop up in electronics and that we defer to guest service whenever in doubt, thanks again guys!

Cameras Computers and Camcorders are 45 days with the receipt NEW AND UNUSED, no exceptions! I had somebody actually not buy an Acer Netbook because they couldn't "Try it out for 30 days" and then return it if they didn't like it. Sorry, but them's the brakes.

Everything else of course is still 90 days with the receipt, most of the time new and unused. I get a few items here and there that come back though, and then I have to go yell at whoever is up at guest service, and then get a re-pack sticker on it. Depending on the item, I sometimes tell the guest that if they have everything re-packaged up as good as they bought it, then there shouldn't be a problem. Heck I bought an Antenna at target, tried it out, and then returned it. Albeit, I re-packaged it as best I could so you couldn't really tell it was used. I even re-shopped it myself once I punched in, lol stuck it in the back of the row though.

Anything optical media of course cannot be returned once opened. Had a person try and argue with me about returning a Sims 3 expansion because he bought the expansion and didn't know he needed the full game, of course AFTER he opened it up. I told him over the phone that he couldn not return it.

Also had a guest call up asking if they could return a Wii because they "didn't understand how it worked". I told them no.

With this being said, if the items are defective then we allow for an exchange of the same thing of course.

New & Unused or defective here also....

Exceptions sometimes made for special cases.

Our store has recently started to crack down on electronics returns. If it has been opened and used it will not be returned. Exceptions can be made at the discretion of the GSTL/LOD but those are few and far between. Quite honestly I love the verbage at the service desk about our policy. It may sound bad but I can twist it in any way I see fit...

That's what I was doing when I started was new and unused or defective but then I got snipped at by a GSTL for saying a guest couldn't return an opened kindle charger and she told me to not deny any returns if they have the receipt. I have since gone to her and told her we have to stand behind our policy going forward and our whole team has to be properly trained and we are going to every tm who works service desk or electronics/salesfloor and making sure thy understand the policy and if they have questions to defer to hues service so we don't give misinformation. Thanks for all the info guys, I do appreciate it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back