Archived Enjoyed my time at Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.. It's time for me to move on. I joined in May 2015 having no experience in retail, but a long career in business to business sales. I worked Hard Lines, but proved to be too much of a perfectionist, so they moved me into a Cashier position. My poor performance in selling Red Cards resulted in my being moved to SCO to provide some protection from negative reviews from management. I proved to be very popular and likeable by most employees, hence the caring attitude toward me. From SCO I moved to Guest Service and found my real calling. I was the recipient of the Employee of the Month in February for outstanding performance in this area.

As a teenage boy I used to dream about a life making women happy, I did not envision it would be at Target Guest Service, but that's how it worked out. We had one GSTL leave with another with a foot out the door, as well as two TPS openings all in a short space of time. I attended a Talent Day and fully anticipated moving up to a position that provided the magical 30 hours to qualify for benefits. Alas the 2 TPS positions were rapidly filled with outsiders and the 2 GSTL positions are to be filled by transfers from other stores.

With all avenues for advancement closed, I looked around and was promptly snapped up by Lowes with a 23% increase and 25 - 39 hours per week as a temporary employee. I have good reason to hope that the temporary status will switch to permanent, thanks to my good work habits and the excellent training provided by Target. I shall miss my team members as an employee, but will continue to shop there. I have enjoyed this forum and it has provided much help in understanding the Target culture.

Cheers!
Sacramento

One thing I have noticed with Lowe's that absolutely blew me away is that most of their workers are full-time. As a part-timer, I am actually in the minority at my store as almost everyone is full-time getting no less than 39 hours a week; from cashiers to upper-level managers. At Target and most other retailers these days, full-time is limited to managers and even then they set the bar for "full-time" as low as they can. I know at Spot full-time is only 32 hours. Also, part-timers at Lowe's qualify for benefits. And the pay for every job is usually higher than what Target or Walmart will pay. I'm making $14/hr doing a job very similar to GSA which only paid $9.50. Big difference on the checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back