Archived etl final???

Status
Not open for further replies.
so someone im related to works at target and hes been there for like 20 years. he’s an etl sales floor and is really really loved by his peers and team members. recently he hired someone and she was scheduled from 4-11 and i guess that she clocked out, went to the back room and stayed there. this etl watched her clock out with the rest of everyone and he went into his office to grab a couple things and did one more round around the store to make sure everyone was gone and he did one before everyone clocked out once the store closed. he didn’t see this girl walk into the back room and this team member stayed there for about an hour to finish their work when they reviewed the cameras which was really stupid because who works when they’re off the clock. but anyway. this girl walks out the front door and gets into her car and leaves. the alarm goes off and they review camera and it’s her leaving that set off the alarms. this etl was LOD that night and another etl were both there that night and both did a double even triple walk around the entire store and didn’t see her. i’m worried he’ll get fired. any ideas about what’ll happen to him??

and did one more round around the store to make sure everyone was gone and he did one before everyone clocked out once the store closed.
Well obviously his round wasn’t all clear.
He watched her clocked out . But didn’t stayed there to see everyone walk out?
Did the police arrive ? Either way is not gonna be good . As for the team member she can get fired most likely will if she indeed clocked out and worked off the clock.

so someone im related to works at target and hes been there for like 20 years. he’s an etl sales floor and is really really loved by his peers and team members. recently he hired someone and she was scheduled from 4-11 and i guess that she clocked out, went to the back room and stayed there. this etl watched her clock out with the rest of everyone and he went into his office to grab a couple things and did one more round around the store to make sure everyone was gone and he did one before everyone clocked out once the store closed. he didn’t see this girl walk into the back room and this team member stayed there for about an hour to finish their work when they reviewed the cameras which was really stupid because who works when they’re off the clock. but anyway. this girl walks out the front door and gets into her car and leaves. the alarm goes off and they review camera and it’s her leaving that set off the alarms. this etl was LOD that night and another etl were both there that night and both did a double even triple walk around the entire store and didn’t see her. i’m worried he’ll get fired. any ideas about what’ll happen to him??

She better be fired. Who the heck goes back to work for an hour after clocking out, let alone during store closing. Then walks out like nothing happened. She must have a brain size of a pea. I feel bad for your ETL.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the ETLwould be safe in this case. As long as they did their due diligence, including watching the team member clock out and then walking and calling out for stragglers, they should be fine.
The team member is definitely fired though.

Your friend will be fine, if they're put on a final they need to fight it. There is leverage here.

I ask this however. Why was the TM able to walk out after store had been "closed"? The front dead bolts should have been LOCKED, not allowing the TM to leave the building in the first place. That's alarming that the ETL was not locking that. It is also alarming that there isnt a solid routine of standing at the door and checking off all TMs closing at night, hopefully this gets resolved in a timely manner and your friend gets a large slap on the wrist.

🙈

Last edited:
It has happened before and they will go on a final. I believe the final lasts for a year.

If there is video evidence that the TM was hiding or avoiding them then they might not even get that. It isn't like you can see the whole place at once.

OP... you are the ETL...

I always love these “my friend” stories... lmao...

You’re not going to get fired unless you directed the team member to work off the clock.

The team member is definitely fired.

Although I will say if you’re dumb enough to ask this question I don’t know how you haven’t done something dumb enough over the past 20 years to get fired anyways, lol.

Your friend will be fine, if they're put on a final they need to fight it. There is leverage here.

I ask this however. Why was the TM able to walk out after store had been "closed"? The front dead bolts should have been LOCKED, not allowing the TM to leave the building in the first place. That's alarming that the ETL was not locking that. It is also alarming that there isnt a solid routine of standing at the door and checking off all TMs closing at night, hopefully this gets resolved in a timely manner and your friend gets a large slap on the wrist.

🙈

If the building is like my store, the door to TSC is always able to be opened from the inside. Maybe that's what they meant by front door?
Otherwise, it still isn't hard to just turn the lock and unlock the main store doors anyway.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the ETLwould be safe in this case. As long as they did their due diligence, including watching the team member clock out and then walking and calling out for stragglers, they should be fine.
The team member is definitely fired though.

My mentor was fired for this exact thing, except the TM didn't stay to work off the clock, she punched out, went to her car, came back in to "look for her phone" at the least second, and was hiding in the stock room.
Now, the ETL had had a prior write up for losing her keys (even though she later found the keys at her home and they were never lost) but the point is you DO get at least written up for this, even if you did everything in your power to prevent it.
Was hard to get TLs to promote to srTL after this.

TM would get a conduct final for working off the clock. ETL would get a conduct final for a safe and secure violation. No immediate terminations in this case. Its nothing person just business. As long ad the TM isn't caught working off the clock in the next year and as long as the ETL has no other conduct violations in the next year both will continue to be employed. The only reason it goes straight to a final is the severity of the offences.

TM would get a conduct final for working off the clock. ETL would get a conduct final for a safe and secure violation. No immediate terminations in this case. Its nothing person just business. As long ad the TM isn't caught working off the clock in the next year and as long as the ETL has no other conduct violations in the next year both will continue to be employed. The only reason it goes straight to a final is the severity of the offences.
TM is definitely done with. They’re within their 90.

As for the ETL, (OP), this could possibly be a special case where it may just be a CCA (but typically it’s a final).

This happened at my store. The ETL and TM both didn’t receive any sort of disciplinary action... and to the person asking why the TM was able to just walk out, the employee entrance at my store does not have any sort of deadbolt on it, it just can’t be opened from the outside unless someone inside buzzes you in. Even after the building is armed, you can still get out.

OP... you are the ETL...

I always love these “my friend” stories... lmao...

You’re not going to get fired unless you directed the team member to work off the clock.

The team member is definitely fired.

Although I will say if you’re dumb enough to ask this question I don’t know how you haven’t done something dumb enough over the past 20 years to get fired anyways, lol.
From the writing I think the OP is telling the truth. My guess is the OP is the minor child of the ETL in question and is scared about no money coming in for food and rent and like many kids think the worst will happen and they'll be homeless and need outside reassurance.

Maybe it’s just me but if I owned Target outright, my benevolent dictatorship would be inclined to ignore this “no harm, no foul” stuff. If the ETL accidentally left doors unlocked and some burglars showed up with a panel van and looted the place, then yeah probably termination. But the incident as OP described it literally cost the company $0 so We would just be like “it pleases Us to grant you leniency in this matter, being strongly cautioned to avoid the same mistake again” and everybody would go back to work the next day and keep getting that bread. Tl;dr unless this ETL is severely incompetent and has warnings for other stuff I think a final is a bit extreme

Safe and secure violations are always a final. Fair and consistent across the board at least in my group/region. A slap on the hand/verbal warnings are old-Target. No one gets a pass... clearly the closing ETL didn't do a full detailed final walk and/or make an overhead announcement b/c they left a TM in the building. When I am closing LOD I do all of the above including seeing what/if any cars are left in the parking lot. With a lot of money comes a lot of responsibility IMO.

Full detailed final walk? C'mon, I can think of half a dozen places in softlines where someone could not be seen if they didn't want to be seen ( such as the crawlspace behind the stroller and walker boxes, under a high capacity rack of dresses or pants etc) and the backroom has a million more, such as the hanging section. If someone doesn't want to be seen, nothing short of infrared scanning will see them and I'm sure electronics has areas that would negate that.

Yeah even making 75 grand a year I’m still not going to probe every single cubic foot of interior space before locking up, it’s just not realistic. It’s completely the TM’s fault if they intentionally hide as everyone else is fucking off to their vehicles at 1 in the hecking morning. Like I said there are a million scenarios where an ETL could concievably fuck up badly enough to deserve an instant term, much less a final, but I dont think this one is it, chief.

Yeah even making 75 grand a year I’m still not going to probe every single cubic foot of interior space before locking up, it’s just not realistic. It’s completely the TM’s fault if they intentionally hide as everyone else is fucking off to their vehicles at 1 in the hecking morning. Like I said there are a million scenarios where an ETL could concievably fuck up badly enough to deserve an instant term, much less a final, but I dont think this one is it, chief.
Yeah this. If I had 5 team members leaving at closing and saw all 5 of them leave the building and also knew that all guests were gone I wouldn’t really be looking for the team member I saw clock out hours ago.

From the writing I think the OP is telling the truth. My guess is the OP is the minor child of the ETL in question and is scared about no money coming in for food and rent and like many kids think the worst will happen and they'll be homeless and need outside reassurance.

I considered something like that but then that would indicate to me that the ETL in question was also worried about losing their job which is still crazy to me if they’ve got 20 years experience.

Someone with 20 years of experience isn’t going to lose their job over this unless they were already on the verge of doing so anyways and they were already aware of if.

So for a kid to come here and post this asking for their dad means that the parent was expressing concern out loud about this possibility. But the way it’s worded about the ETL being loved by everyone and they’re worried about what’ll happen to him is just weird. There’s no mention of any previous offenses.

Last edited:
I considered something like that but then that would indicate to me that the ETL in question was also worried about losing their job which is still crazy to me if they’ve got 20 years experience.

Someone with 20 years of experience isn’t going to lose their job over this unless they were already on the verge of doing so anyways and they were already aware of if.

So for a kid to come here and post this asking for their dad means that the parent was expressing concern out loud about this possibility. But the way it’s worded about the ETL being loved by everyone and they’re worried about what’ll happen to him is just weird. There’s no mention of any previous offenses.
Young teen kids and a lot of older teens will overhear parents talking and just inflate it in their own minds. It's how their brains are wired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back