Archived ETL Forced to New Role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm an ETL who came in the company 2.5 yrs ago as GE Softlines. This was the position I wanted the least. I was told just run a green workcenter for 18 months and I could be in and out. I began as an extra in the market, so I ran the front end while my partner GE Softlines ran Softlines. She was then termed after about 10 months of me being there.

Then I began running the whole workcenter myself. After just two months as the only GE Softlines, headcount was then cut to just GE Salesfloor as the "extra." I've had nothing but green visits from the district and group within my workcenters. We are always green every week in Redcards. I have been sent across the group to several other stores for support help. I was rated an EX on my last review.

So my 18 months comes and goes. I have now been in role for 2.5 years and at this point have been very vocal that I do not want anything to do with GE or Redcards anymore. It's just not something I feel good about pushing. I would rather work in a workcenter with where I can truly affect all of my metrics. I told them in order I want Salesfloor, hr, log, then ap, and last GE. I do not want GE. Period. End of story. Did I mention I have been green throughout?

My STL told me I was slated for Salesfloor at the other store as soon as some turnover occurs. In the mean time their log leaves. They have me go support help and run log with no training and no experience. I've been there a week, everything is going fine.

Then the Salesfloor ETL leaves. I figure I'm a shoe in. That is the succession plan. Now it seems they are approaching the GE at this store to run Salesfloor. This person has not been in role 18 months. They were switched from GE Softlines to GE during the headcount change.

They have been looking for a log for months now but only want a paygrade 13 one and done STL type... But have me running it with no experience or training. So my STL is now telling me that I could maybe get LOg if I do a great job but if not will probably be GE. I do NOT want GE and he knows this.

I'm super frustrated by this because I have done nothing but bend over backwards for the company. When they say jump I say how high. Every store I do support in wants to keep me because I am actually hands on and work with the team.

How can they force GE on me as my next assignment when that's what I've been doing all along? What can I do to prevent this move? Can I make them give me more money to accept the position? Do I just move on? Do I just tell them I really want LOG (if they pay me for it)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Can they force me? I feel like I could not be any more transparent with them. How can I get another 'starting' ETL role when I'm EX and they clearly see me as Good enough to run log with no experience.

Please help!

Welcome!
My etl does softlines, hardlines, & ge. Look on ehr & apply at other stores. What's does your dtl say about you? Have you considered applying outside of spot?

I wish I had good news for you.
I've never been an ETL but the impression I've gotten is they don't have much more of a bargaining position than the the average TM.
Basically if Spot says this is the need of the company, than that is what's going to happen.
The problem is the needs of the company all to often are based on politics, timing and how much kool aid you are willing to drink.
There are other ETL's here who can give you advice on how to leverage your situation a bit and maybe get something out of this that will be to your advantage.
I wish you luck.

Most of all, welcome to The Break Room.

I've seen this done to a 12 year ETL veteran. Best in all positions but placed where Target wants him, not where he wanted to go. His most frequent appointment was LOG, which he was tired of doing. Another veteran stayed in his current role because he didnt want to be told where to go, so maybe it's easier to keep current role vs chosing a new role.

If your new role becomes log I'd ask for pay grade change or raise. Hopefully you'll get what you want.

I know this is old, but despite what they say, you are in a catch 22 situation. You have to perform good to move workcenters, but if you do good you are needed in that workcenter and thus can't move. You really want to switch jobs? Start sucking at it.

A big focus on the Fall Focus Meeting was how badly Target is losing talent. BTS on ETL's company wide was red. First time in a very long time...so the take away was that Target needs to start keeping talent. Stress that you run a green process wherever you're put, but you're not happy with GE. Doesn't fall within your strengths, outside of your comfortability, bad work life balance, etc. If you're valuable to the district, your DTL should be bending over backwards to keep you.

The problem is that you ran a green front end. They're not about to move someone who can get them REDcards out of GE!

This could not be more true. Any conversation that is going on behind closed doors about you is probably mainly focused on, "Well who's going to take his spot" "We don't have anyone that can get green results like he can in the GE role". It flipping sucks. I'm currently a Logistics TL role and have asked so many times to move to a salesfloor position they always tell me its in the works but then something happens either the ETL-Log leaves or the Flow TL leaves and they need me to stay in my role through another 4th quarter to be a recognizable and solid leader while they bring in a new ETL/Flow TL. I'd say if you feel strongly about this its time to start looking for another job, I have.

They really need to stop hiring inexperienced, fresh out of college etl's. The hiding in the office and "lead"by demanding stuff over the walkie and not helping out anywhere in the store is getting real old and causing target to fail.
A big focus on the Fall Focus Meeting was how badly Target is losing talent. BTS on ETL's company wide was red. First time in a very long time...so the take away was that Target needs to start keeping talent. Stress that you run a green process wherever you're put, but you're not happy with GE. Doesn't fall within your strengths, outside of your comfortability, bad work life balance, etc. If you're valuable to the district, your DTL should be bending over backwards to keep you.

Where you get assigned is decided almost entirely by your DTL, if you haven't taken advantage of the day your DTL sets aside to meet with ETL's (can't remember the name of it) then you will set yourself up for failure on moves.

Maybe you should come over to Big Blue. You don't get to pick your position, but there is no pressure for credit cards either. If you get credit cards, you are looked at as a goddess. Rotations last 12 months, we get a lot of ex-ETLs because blue pays better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back