• Thread starter JimmyTarget
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimmyTarget

Is anyone who is considering applying for the ETL inter position taking an prep for it?
On the website, they aren't listed yet, but I feel like there should be something I can do.
My STL said they usually open the applications around black friday.
Anyone know of anything?

Black friday??? Before i got my internship at a consulting firm i was gonna apply for target's intership my etl hr told me recruitment doesnt start till march supposedly you have to be going into your final year of college to do a summer intern then if they offer you can do a extended internship which from what i hear leads to a offer after you graduate.

The applications are really up to the discretion of your recruiter and depends on each personal situation. I interviewed and got offered my internship in August 2013 and started interning in June 2014. Most of the interns I spoke with were not offered until March/April.

As for preparation, depending on how long you have been with Target and the roles you have done, you may want to consider switching work centers once or twice before the internship begins. Partner with your STL/ETL's about getting opportunities in other areas and ask for feedback, it is the best tool. It will benefit you now to figure out what needs to be improved before you begin the internship.

Throughout the internship, remember where you came from (Team member) and what it was like. Some people get into leadership roles and become the exact thing they despised as a team member, you do not want to do that. Get team member buy in and then everything goes a lot smoother. As I said, I did the internship last summer so if you ever have any questions or just want someone to talk to about it, I am glad to help.

The applications are really up to the discretion of your recruiter and depends on each personal situation. I interviewed and got offered my internship in August 2013 and started interning in June 2014. Most of the interns I spoke with were not offered until March/April.

As for preparation, depending on how long you have been with Target and the roles you have done, you may want to consider switching work centers once or twice before the internship begins. Partner with your STL/ETL's about getting opportunities in other areas and ask for feedback, it is the best tool. It will benefit you now to figure out what needs to be improved before you begin the internship.

Throughout the internship, remember where you came from (Team member) and what it was like. Some people get into leadership roles and become the exact thing they despised as a team member, you do not want to do that. Get team member buy in and then everything goes a lot smoother. As I said, I did the internship last summer so if you ever have any questions or just want someone to talk to about it, I am glad to help.

How was it as a intern? Did you receive a offer?

As an intern it was really amazing. Coming from inside the company put me at an advantage and it showed me the other side of the TM-ETL relationship. I can see why some etls become big headed, they really put you on another level with all the "team builds" which is just free lunch and get paid for the time there. I almost felt guilty, so when I was in the store I tried to work even harder.

I did receive an offer, I accepted and start after graduation which is next may. The nice part is, if I find another job I can just tell Target I changed my mind. The recruiter actually suggested that to me. Overall it was a great experience and I highly recommend it.

I wanted to and i would have but the experience im going to gain plus the pay is just to great to pass up plus its a year internship not two to three months

I wanted to and i would have but the experience im going to gain plus the pay is just to great to pass up plus its a year internship not two to three months

The Target internship program is 3 months. If you do well and space allows, they will extend you for a year.

So far in 5 months I have done: (Note it's a GM store so no p-fresh opportunity)
Hardlines
Softlines
Fitting Room
Electronics
Operator/Fitting Room
Team Trainer
Merchandising Brand Team Member
Cart Attendant
Cashier
Photo Lab
Backroom (Dropping pulls, PTM, LOCU, backstocking, ect.)

And currently I'm rarely working, but what areas should I try to do? I would imagine guest service (Been asking for 4 months)
As far as knowing where I came from, trust me, I understand, I really don't like the idea of hiring ETL's out of college with no Target experience, and it's my plan to try to change that because it's not good that they don't know the struggle of fitting clearance in or getting pulls done one time. I'm a junior in college right now and looking to do the internship summer 2015. How did you apply/get accepted so soon. I don't know of a recruiter.

The recruiter usually is there on a college job fair or college internship fair. Thats how my college is and its once a semester

If you're internal you don't have to go to a recruiter. Your stl is the one who should send you to district. I had 2 recruiters (one in my area one in a different part of the country I would like to move to) tell me the same thing. Your process would then simply be etl hr, stl, dtl interviews and you'd be able to get an answer right away typically.

Guest service would be a major bonus. Obviously it is what Target is driving repeatedly, take care of the guest no matter the cost. I would also say to try and get into an early morning process; plano, price change, in-stocks or flow. Early morning processes are huge for making a store successful! As far as applying/getting accepted, partner with your STL. He will give you contact information for your districts recruiter, which you will have to go through. You will interview with your recruiter and DTL. I did a phone interview with the recruiter and sit down interview with the DTL. Not even 10 minutes after the sit down interview, I got a phone call from the recruiter offering me the position. Typically you will find out pretty quickly. If you're in the western part of the country, I may know the recruiter and could give you the information if you'd like to PM me.

So far in 5 months I have done: (Note it's a GM store so no p-fresh opportunity)
Hardlines
Softlines
Fitting Room
Electronics
Operator/Fitting Room
Team Trainer
Merchandising Brand Team Member
Cart Attendant
Cashier
Photo Lab
Backroom (Dropping pulls, PTM, LOCU, backstocking, ect.)

And currently I'm rarely working, but what areas should I try to do? I would imagine guest service (Been asking for 4 months)
As far as knowing where I came from, trust me, I understand, I really don't like the idea of hiring ETL's out of college with no Target experience, and it's my plan to try to change that because it's not good that they don't know the struggle of fitting clearance in or getting pulls done one time. I'm a junior in college right now and looking to do the internship summer 2015. How did you apply/get accepted so soon. I don't know of a recruiter.
Usually they want you to have sort of Team Leader experience before they will consider you as an internal push to a ETL. Internal promotions are getting more rare each day.

If a TM is already seeking a retail related degree, Target will consider them as an Intern.

Now a days they usually hire fresh out of college recruits to train and mold.

Guest service would be a major bonus. Obviously it is what Target is driving repeatedly, take care of the guest no matter the cost. I would also say to try and get into an early morning process; plano, price change, in-stocks or flow. Early morning processes are huge for making a store successful! As far as applying/getting accepted, partner with your STL. He will give you contact information for your districts recruiter, which you will have to go through. You will interview with your recruiter and DTL. I did a phone interview with the recruiter and sit down interview with the DTL. Not even 10 minutes after the sit down interview, I got a phone call from the recruiter offering me the position. Typically you will find out pretty quickly. If you're in the western part of the country, I may know the recruiter and could give you the information if you'd like to PM me.

I forgot to add that I've also done softlines and hardlines flow after the actual truck process. And I agree about guest service, but trust me, I've been asking! And unfortunately I'm not in the west, but I appreciate the offer!

I forgot to add that I've also done softlines and hardlines flow after the actual truck process. And I agree about guest service, but trust me, I've been asking! And unfortunately I'm not in the west, but I appreciate the offer!

Guest service is very tough to get into if you're not a front end team member! There isn't a whole lot of payroll given to it, there is SO much to learn (even after over a year of GSA I still came across strange things now and again), and usually it makes more sense to cross-train cashiers/front end team member into guest service before the sales floor since they're within the same workcenter and their jobs coincide a lot more than other area's. And in my store it was an area EVERYBODY was jumping out of their seats to learn (Front end included) so it didn't open up to external hires often, and when we did need somebody new we'd usually just cross-train a cashier who wanted more hours. You could try asking your GSTL or GE if you could get more involved in the front end of the store, rather than saying guest service specifically; since it's not tooooooooooo often somebody jumps right into the service desk before sizable cashier / front end experience (backup cashiering and covering one or two shifts not included, since the only thing that covers is ringing people out and leaving)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back