Archived ETL interview process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's a sign of cuts to leadership positions in your area.

I went to a Target in Atlanta. It was near the Coke Factory area. We used to live in Valdosta and visited the sights often.

I definitely agree but I believe its because I have one more semester before graduation so they would have to work around that even though i opted to take online classes next semester which I mentioned in the interview. I will just take this as this wasnt ment for me at the moment. I'll keep looking for other opportunities because this process took me about a month so even though they are going to choose me for this I need options

Personally I wouldn't accept the Sr TL position. The Sr TL is the GSA of the execs at my store. They get the most and the worst LOD shifts. They get all the responsibilities of the ETLs without the perks (choosing schedules, comp days, two hour lunches) for less pay. Our Sr TLs make about $17.50 hour and that's with 5 years of TM/TL experience.

Personally I wouldn't accept the Sr TL position. The Sr TL is the GSA of the execs at my store. They get the most and the worst LOD shifts. They get all the responsibilities of the ETLs without the perks (choosing schedules, comp days, two hour lunches) for less pay. Our Sr TLs make about $17.50 hour and that's with 5 years of TM/TL experience.

Basically its a slap in the face. Not really worth it since you have to wait 18 months before you get another shot at ETL but then you have to have a green workcenter for most of that time and have approval from stl to go do interviews all over again.

Don't see being almost a MBA graduate as a barrier. I was hired with one semester left and the same thing for 3 other ETLs in my BC. They worked with our schedules and I took my last class online.

Talk with current Sr.TLs to get their perspective. There are pros and cons to Sr.TL; everything depends on your career goals and current job requirements.

As a SrTL you'll work 40 hours most weeks (OT is rarely approved in most cases). As an ETL you're looking at 50 hours on average. That's probably one of the only positives for SrTL over ETL. I wouldn't take a SrTL spot with all of your education. Keep looking.

Or take it and still keep looking.

There's a running joke that ETL's make less per hour than Sr. TLs do, and that if Target wanted to save some $$, they could make the ETL position be on the timeclock. That's probably true though.

Some ETLs make less hourly. That's if they are below $50-55K. If you work more than 50hrs then you definitely make less. But the ETL pay increase is much higher than Sr.TL. The Sr.TL pay scale plateaus where the ETL slope is still increasing. Most of us made $70-$90K - I don't think a Sr.TL is bringing that in.

Again, basic math will show that some ETLS can make less hourly than Sr.TLs. But ETLs are immune to payroll. Our store has given Sr.TLs and TLs 32 hours a week during payroll droughts. Some have seen several weeks of that. That's a big cut ETLs will never experience.

MBA in retail is common. Actually MBAs themselves are more common than other graduate degrees so having one can be an expectation for entry level jobs. In my current career field, certifications tend to be more valuable than a graduate degree (i.e. PMP, CSM, DataPower Cert, etc) .

A MBA is a waste at the Sr.TL level or below. Good if you intend to move up the retail chain (ETL, STL, DTL, GVP, Corporate). If you're willing to relocate to MN they hire MBAs. However with upcoming cuts I'm not sure it will be happening.

To be clear, a degree isnt required to run a store. I think experience is the best for that. But if you have a MBA I'd suggest looking around. Lowes and Home Depot have good options - especially at distribution centers. My friend moved from Target to Home Depot Online Distribution Center and works M-F doing exactly what he did as an ETL-Replenishment. Also Carmax is run by ex target executives.

Maybe I should be clear that I am not making this a career move. for those who are earning an MBA or even in school should know that it is difficult to find a position that is willing to work with your school schedule and making the type of hourly salary that will happen to make my life easier. So, although many of your opinions say that the SR.TL is beneath me...its not because as I earn my MBA there are still bills that need to be paid, still responsibilities that I have to take care of as an adult. So this hourly pay is way over 12.50 an hour hell its over 20.00 so

Yes, I'm taking this position until I finish my MBA to pursue my career.
...you're welcome

with that being said, what makes a Sr.TL softlines successful? what does this position usually consist of? or is this in another post I cannot find on this awesome site?

You'll be surprised how many have said exactly what you just did, 8 years later they're still there. With how rare it is for people to stay with one company from their 20s to retirement, this actually is a career move. It may be temporary but still a career decision. Can't blame you for taking it if it's the highest paying offer. Bills don't pay themselves.

There's an entire softlines thread. I'll link it when I find it. Your job consists of setting adjacencies, making sure your area is zoned and pushed properly, everything is folded or hung in the correct amounts per size, and a few LOD shifts.

But because your ETL has authority over the department he/she sets your expectations. The ETL will probably assign who's responsible for making sure the correct product is set for the correct season. It involves working with flow to make sure future sets are not backstocked and set aside so SL can get it easily.

Sr.TL is just a TL who can do LOD shifts. So follow TL threads for what SL does and ETL threads for LOD routines.

I definitely understand what you are saying, and I agree. I will continue to read and research this position.

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back