Archived ETL Pay (expectation vs potential reality)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No ETL that I've ever met lived like a baller. They drive basic cars, live in condos, and obviously student loans. Yes, they can afford food. Yes, they can afford clothes. May even go out and drink but that's it.

No, some people are smarter than that, but it's pretty common and all the fresh grad 20-something ETLs I've personally known drove brand new cars. But then again I've seen that happen with most of my newly-minted college grad friends. It's a mindset that transcends industries.

"Wow I'm salaried and make above the median wage, I can afford all the things"

Cue 18 months later when they're looking for a new job and the credit card company is calling about that outstanding balance.

*takes off cynical glasses*

Glad someone else asked this ?? Also. I’m in a similar situation currently in the dc and contemplating the shift to the store specifically In the etl area and was curious about the avg starting salarie

From another thread:
You are looking at about 50-55K starting wage. You get a yearly annual metric increase in March that is anywhere between 1-4% on average. Your bonus is also about 1-4% of your yearly salary.

Now, that is not where our raises come from at all. I couldn't care less about the yearly review because it is hardly worth mentioning (its just nice it stacks with the other increase we have available). What got added is that a few times a year your STL and DTL can submit you for a pay increase off cycle from your yearly review, and these are worth WAY more than your review. There is no actual limit to the amount of these you can receive and your STL can continue to submit you depending on your performance.

These range from 5-15% increases on average. It depends on your results and your pay in comparison to your peers in general. For example, you might take over ETL-HR at a store as your second position and 6 months in you are killing it. Your STL and DTL can pull your pay compared to the other ETL-HRs in the district and they see that they are all paid much more than you (common since most older ETLs do that role). They submit you for a pay increase since you are performing as well or better than most of them.

This is how you make money at Target though. That 55 can become 65 pretty quickly, and then 6 months later you could go up to 75. Its completely up to you and your performance.
Thanks
@Rock Lobster
I don’t want to refute the legendary HL master (himself/herself) but they scraped pay grade promotions a few years ago. They recently got rid of High Risk Bonus. Think bonus is 5% and ETL salary will vary based on location tbh. I know starting salaries for ETLS are much higher just it all depends on the location for that

I don’t want to refute the legendary HL master (himself/herself) but they scraped pay grade promotions a few years ago. They recently got rid of High Risk Bonus. Think bonus is 5% and ETL salary will vary based on location tbh. I know starting salaries for ETLS are much higher just it all depends on the location for that
It's ok. That posting was from oct 2017 & does depends on the metro area.

From Glassdoor.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would say do some research, too--on Glassdoor like HLM posted or poke around on the 'net to get an idea what retail assistant manager salaries are like in your area. That will help when you go in for negotiation.

In my district starting ETL salary is $53K. That's extremely low though and a slap in the face for how many hours they want you to work. Definitely do not leave negotiations with anything less than $60K. It's not worth your time. You should also reconsider your hourly rate and factor in a 60 hour work week. They tell you 50 hours but with everything they expect you to do and the crazy holiday season, you'll be working closer to 60 every week. Within my district, ETLs working in certain cities get a higher starting pay due to the higher cost of living. For someone who is an internal hire, you should definitely be making more than $60K. Don't sell yourself short just because you don't have a degree. A degree doesn't mean anything when it comes to performing well.

Now the raises are on a scale of 1-5% then paid out depending on how much of the previous year you worked. So if you started in August then when pay raises come around in February, it will only be applied to 6 months of your annual salary.

53k is somewhat universally starting ETL pay for internal promotions, with the exception of markets like LA. They will most likely offer 53k and talk up some other aspects of the position. I was able to negotiate.

53k would be a legitimate slap in the face..based on 50+ hours a week that’d be quite a pay cut in the grand scheme of things.

And a slight update; my ETL texted me about two hours ago telling me I’m interviewing with my DTL tomorrow. Not even a full day notice, no interview prep has happened. (That’s not normal...right?) I have no idea what to really expect. Fingers crossed I don’t bomb it :oops:

Last edited:
From another thread. Good luck @BatteryLegion.

ETL STAR interviews:
The answer to your question(s) are pretty simple. During your interview be honest and yourself. They will ask you 4-5 situational questions (total of 3 rounds I believe) just to see what type of leader you are. Remember to paint them a picture because what they are looking for in each question that you answer is to be outlined in the following way:

Situation - how does your answer relate to the question
Example: tell me about a time you had to make a tough decison
You - During college ect..... <--- you are painting them a picture so they can visually see your answer.
Task - what did you have to accomplish/what what was the issue or problem
Action - how did you solve this issue/what steps were taken.
Result - what was the final outcome.

Overall be upbeat. During the interview don't EVER put yourself down. Even with the famous questions "what is one think your previous supervisor would change or say that you need to work on." Turn the question about to something like: "One thing my past supervisor would stay that I can improve is sometimes I tend want to help out too much. If I see someone struggling I always try and offer assistance." Remember to turn a weakness into a strength (sorry I just got off work so if a lot does not make sense please don't blame me lol).
Thanks
Coolnite7

@BatteryLegion
This may help with your goals:
On good training:
I completely agree with explaining the big picture and WHY things are done a certain way. Giving a brief overview of the process, or how your role fits in the store is EXTREMELY helpful. Target has a different way of organizing duties within the store, and how teams interact with each other than other retailers. Explaining how this works is a good way to start.

I always recommend using a checklist of some sort. I know Target used to have training brochures, but since 'all stores aren't the same' it may be helpful to create one specific for your store's processes. Doesn't have to anything fancy, but if you're going to be training people a lot, it'll be nice to have so you are consistent from trainee to trainee.

The recommended training at my company is:
-Tell: Tell the trainee what you are doing and why it's important
-Show: Show the trainee the task you want to complete. Explain what you are doing while you are doing it.
-Do: Have the trainee confirm understanding by having them complete the task
-Review: Provide feedback to the trainee.

Most people respond to positive reinforcement more so than negative reinforcement. Be positive, and point things that they are doing well, but be constructive when correcting someone.

Always let the trainee ask questions!
Thanks
bullseyekindaguy

Any updates?

I'm sorta in the same boat, making about 45k as a SR.TL and going into a interview process next week. Going into it with no degree but 13 years of experience despite my short time at Target.

I'm hoping for 55k minimum.

Any updates?

I'm sorta in the same boat, making about 45k as a SR.TL and going into a interview process next week. Going into it with no degree but 13 years of experience despite my short time at Target.

I'm hoping for 55k minimum.

$55K is not worth it for the amount of work you have to do as an ETL and the amount of crap you have to put up with. Brand new ETLs straight out of college, with no job/retail experience are basically guaranteed at least $53K. You have experience. You are an internal promotion. You need to get at the very least $60K.

I accepted a position at 53k. It’s non negotiable
thought that position would be a pay increase for me guess not , I made 54k in 2018 as a dc team member[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for your feedback! I got my promotion right after New Years. Two things I can say is that as an internal, they take in consideration what you are currently making and also any potential pending annual review. Smooth process, I have no complaints :)

Is there a % or something they use to determine salary for internal hires?

I was told this week that there is a plan for me to promote from TL to ETL by the end of the year. I’ve been with Target for quite awhile so I’m already pretty close to the ETL minimum. Just curious what I might be offered.

Is there a % or something they use to determine salary for internal hires?

I was told this week that there is a plan for me to promote from TL to ETL by the end of the year. I’ve been with Target for quite awhile so I’m already pretty close to the ETL minimum. Just curious what I might be offered.
Take you current hourly rate and do some math. Example:

22x50 (ETL hours) = 1100
1100 x 52 weeks = 55000

Take that and add 5-8% and it’ll probably be what you’re offered

I'm going for ETL interview in a few weeks, is the starting pay 53k no matter what? I'm currently a TM, have a degree (not right out of school) and extensive management background.

I'm going for ETL interview in a few weeks, is the starting pay 53k no matter what? I'm currently a TM, have a degree (not right out of school) and extensive management background.
Refer to my previous post. 5-8% is a national average

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back