Archived ETL probably lied directly to my face, I believed her. Don't know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, so this is my first post here. Just found this site so sorry if I make any errors or say anything wrong, or anything. So, on with what I have to say...

I work softlines, on truck days, M-W-F. Very occasionally I'm scheduled to autofill push on weekends, but rarely. I recently got another part time job that required weekends so I decided to put in an availability change at Target to not work weekend since I barely did anyway. I wasn't sure how to do it because I've never submitted a punch change or an availability change so I told the logistics ETL that I would be changing my availability to no weekends. She immediately said she could in no way approve that, because it was against company policy to have someone who NEVER worked weekends and specifically had weekends off. She said I could not have weekends off because they were our busiest time and again, it was against policy to give someone weekends off permanently and told me I could submit an availability change but I had to leave weekends the way they were, with me being available. I was already extremely stressed from a bad day so I just went ahead and did it. But later on I realized lots of people at my store have weekends permanently off, and my team is not required to work every single weekend and I never signed any paper saying I HAD to work weekends, and that the application even asks you to put in your availability and you can leave Saturday and Sunday blank.

So, I'm pretty sure the ETL blatantly lied to my face because she knew I didn't know any better and would believe her and do it. So question is, do I resubmit my availability change with weekends off even though I already submitted a "working weekends" one? And if I do resubmit it, how do I explain to her I know it's not against policy? Can I take this to the higher ups, do I even have to? Or is this actually some policy that somehow applies to me that I don't know about? Sorry if this was wordy :\

Last edited:
Welcome! Kinda small font. Talk to your etl-hr for help. It is not spot policy to work all weekends. Are you under 90 days?

Oh gosh sorry. It looked fine on my screen, is that better?

But no, I totally forgot to put how long I've been working, I've been working here almost six months.

Would it help to say she kinda lied to to you, sorta but it's kinda true to?
See, if you are under your 90 days you don't get to change your hours.
If you have gone past that but they hired you because you said you were available weekends, well that makes you a big fibber too.
Also, you can change you are right.
They can't stop you from changing your hours but that doesn't mean they have to schedule you for any.

Well the easy way to get around this would be to change your availability to, say, after noon on the weekends. Since you are flow and only scheduled once in a while to push autofills then you would never be scheduled and yet still be technically available for the weekend.

Our ETL-HR actually just quit about a week ago and we haven't gotten anyone to replace her yet, if anyone. I have no idea who's standing in her position and the HR office has been closed ever since she left. I'm not sure of the hierarchy or who works under her, who besides her could I go to?

And I'm not under 90 days. I'm almost six months. They didn't hire me specifically because I was available weekends I'm pretty sure because for the first two-three months or so working I wasn't scheduled for weekends at all. Not sure how that makes me a fibber...

Also I could do that, say the after noon on weekends, but I believe my second job expects me to have unlimited weekends as I thought it really wouldn't be a problem to get weekends off at Target.

Do the change as proof & then talk to her. I thought you had submitted your request on ehr, too?

I did! I submitted a change to ehr with weekends available to work like she told me to do when she claimed I couldn't have them off. But knowing she sort of lied about not being able to take weekends off I would like to resubmit it with, you know, no weekend availability. I was going to resubmit it how I needed it then talk to the stl.

Ck the status on ehr. That will give you the truth. Print it out at tsc & take it with you when you see the hr person.

Ck the status on ehr. That will give you the truth. Print it out at tsc & take it with you when you see the hr person.

Thanks, I will. Earliest I can do it is Wednesday unfortunately since I don't work tomorrow and every time I try and log into ehr from home it gives me an error, sigh. Thanks so much for the advice though!

Your ETL half lied to you.

It is not corporate policy that nobody can have weekends off. As you said, some TMs do have that.

However, she absolutely does not have to approve your availability if she doesn't want to. Many ETLs firmly believe that all TMs need to be available on weekends.

While it is true that you had a chance to put your availability when you applied and when you accepted the job offer, there is a strong possibility that you would not have been hired if you had put unavailable on weekends.

Bottom line is you are unfortunately at the mercy of your ETL. You can resubmit your availability change as many different ways as you like, but she can deny it for any reason or no reason at all. You should try @RedDog's advice and invent a good reason to tell your ETL so she will approve it.

You don't have the right to weekends off. Neither does anybody else who works for Target. It's part of the retail life and something that we all have to deal with.

If she gave you weekends off, you'd be another person on the list of people who others can point to and say "they have weekends off! why can't I?" I guarantee none of the people who have weekends off at your store are under their 90 days, and probably most of them got their availability approved before your ETL ever came on.

The tm that have weekends off at my store are still avalible on the weekends if need be.

Its not company policy but its highly pushed that TMs be available on weekends.

Its one of Target's unofficial rules so that they can say its not on paper but its highly voiced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back