Archived ETL Question- Interviewing- Leaving after 10 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi- I have an ETL interview set up and was wondering how long ETLs typically stay. My fiancee is applying to med schools and we may have to move next July (or not if he doesn't get in). I still need a job in the mean time (my internship just ended) and was wondering how bad it would be to take an ETL job and quit after 9/10 months if we did end up having to move

I *think* you would be able to transfer stores, depending on the DTl. Most good ETLs (not fresh out college) stay for a while, not 9-10 months. I think it would look bad if you quit, but obviously you have to do what you have to do & can keep it quiet that you would have to possibly move.

It's a lot to invest if you'll leave after 10 months. If you tell them you're out after 10 months I see little chance you'd get hired. You don't really have to tell them I guess. But transferring could be a good solution, though I'm not sure how long you have to stay before being allowed to transfer or being a good candidate to transfer (ETLs with experience may be picked up quick vs an ETL with a year or less)

An etl cycle is generally 18 months. Some end up doing 36 and some are fortunate to stay longer.

Anything shorter than 18 is probably not good for consistency.

We had a Team Leader who was able to transfer stores after 3 months in his role but ETL might be a harder thing to work out a transfer.

An etl cycle is generally 18 months. Some end up doing 36 and some are fortunate to stay longer.

Anything shorter than 18 is probably not good for consistency.

Wait, are you saying ETLs automatically get cycled out by lay offs or just a made up stat regarding how often ETLs quit Spot?

But, the way I see it, I'd still go for it, and hope you're there for at least a year or so and when you need to transfer if you like Spot enough, they hopefully don't mind. there's plenty of kiddos wanting to be an ETL fresh out of college. It's just a shame Target doesn't like internal ETL hires.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just finished my phone interview and was told I would be moving on to the next round. I am still on the fence about the position as I don't want to screw them over by not staying for very long, and I am not sure about the long hours and workload. I want to go into marketing and am not sure how much this will help me advance my career in that area. Luckily I still have some time to think :)

Good luck with the next round,wouldn't even mention that you might leave sometime in the future as you almost certainly will not get an offer,don't think you will be screwing anyone over,do what is best for you at this time,and base your decisions on that.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just finished my phone interview and was told I would be moving on to the next round. I am still on the fence about the position as I don't want to screw them over by not staying for very long, and I am not sure about the long hours and workload. I want to go into marketing and am not sure how much this will help me advance my career in that area. Luckily I still have some time to think :)
Worry about you first. If you mention now that you may end up needing to move, they might be less inclined to make an offer.

As for relating to other careers, just remember that you will be running a multi-million dollar business, and that speaks for itself.

There is no point in not taking the job. It's reletivly high paying. Might as well go with it and give your store a heads up when you gotta go

There is no point in not taking the job. It's reletivly high paying. Might as well go with it and give your store a heads up when you gotta go

Psshh hell yeah 60k a year. Almost makes me want to intern for an ETL position. But with that being said, don't mention anything and you know, if the time comes, they should be okay with it. If all else fails, I'm not sure where you'd be moving to but- I'm sure there's plenty of other companies that would love to take your experience from being a Target Executive Team Lead that would pay just as well or more if a transfer doesn't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back